I'm nervous about starting doing Taekwondo.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fantastic! I is great to hear there are other white belts around your age. This really makes the journey more memorable, having people of the same level to work with and lean on. Helps you more quickly understand the idea of Tae Kwon Do family.
Hopefully they’re his age and he’s not Kramer dominating the dojo. :)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi guys thanks for all the answers and support! I took 3 lessons since I posted this and you were all right. It's really tough but also really exciting and the feeling after a training is really special The trainer is really helpful towards beginners and i'm not the only white belt there. . Thanks for helping me towards this beautiful martial art. Tips for a beginner like me are always welcome and appreciated.
Keep at it. It only gets more difficult, yet more fun and rewarding somehow.

Actually, it gets harder in different ways. For some reason, I always thought white belt was the hardest rank. EVERYTHING is new. After white belt, you’ve got a frame of reference to compare new material to.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi guys thanks for all the answers and support! I took 3 lessons since I posted this and you were all right. It's really tough but also really exciting and the feeling after a training is really special The trainer is really helpful towards beginners and i'm not the only white belt there. . Thanks for helping me towards this beautiful martial art. Tips for a beginner like me are always welcome and appreciated.

That's so awesome to hear. Keep at it and enjoy yourself!!! And feel free to post your experiences here too :)

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually, it gets harder in different ways. For some reason, I always thought white belt was the hardest rank. EVERYTHING is new. After white belt, you’ve got a frame of reference to compare new material to.

Yep, that's sounds right to me too :D

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hopefully they’re his age and he’s not Kramer dominating the dojo. :)

When I joined the Sparring Club at my school, I was the first adult in the club. Everyone else was kids. Now, I'm not a big guy. I'm 5'6 on a good day. But I was towering over these kids. And I didn't have the sparring club t-shirt, so I just looked so out of place. They're all staring at me like "who are you and what are you doing here?"

Because of my size, there were only 2 kids I was allowed to spar. Both of them were around 10, and I think it was a month and a half before I scored a point on either of them. They left me with bruises every class. I used to joke I was gonna have a bowl of Advil with milk for breakfast the next morning.

Keep at it. It only gets more difficult, yet more fun and rewarding somehow.

I tell people "white belt is the hardest belt. And it only gets harder from there."

Plin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I just started TKD in October. I was in the newbie class, mixed adults and children, so the instructor could spend more time with us working on fundamentals than in the big adult or kids’ all-level class. Which meant that a lot of the time it was me and some seven-year-olds.

Now that I have my yellow stripe I start with the grownups next week. It’s exciting but of course a little scary. I think it’s important to keep challenging yourself and pushing the limits of your comfort zone as an adult, to keep from stagnating.

Congratulations on giving it a try! I hope you’re having as much fun as I am.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just started TKD in October. I was in the newbie class, mixed adults and children, so the instructor could spend more time with us working on fundamentals than in the big adult or kids’ all-level class. Which meant that a lot of the time it was me and some seven-year-olds.

Now that I have my yellow stripe I start with the grownups next week. It’s exciting but of course a little scary. I think it’s important to keep challenging yourself and pushing the limits of your comfort zone as an adult, to keep from stagnating.

Congratulations on giving it a try! I hope you’re having as much fun as I am.
That is great! Could not have said it better.

Plin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
At our class last night (TKD), we focused almost exclusively on punches and blocks. Almost no kicking at all beyond warmups.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
At our class last night (TKD), we focused almost exclusively on punches and blocks. Almost no kicking at all beyond warmups.
I like your teacher. I like everything you have told us about your classes.Your thread is one of my favorite threads. If you want ,I would like to hear more about your teacher.

Plin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I like your teacher. I like everything you have told us about your classes.Your thread is one of my favorite threads. If you want ,I would like to hear more about your teacher.

I really love this dojang and the people who run it. Today is a bit nuts, but tomorrow or this weekend I'm happy to go into more detail about it all.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I dont get why everyone is jumping on this. He's not saying that taekwondo only uses feet. He's saying that tsekwondo only used feet. Entirely different.
Thanks for pointing that out. I was about to hit “dislike” on it. Now that you’ve cleared up the confusion, he’s probably correct. :)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I joined the Sparring Club at my school, I was the first adult in the club. Everyone else was kids. Now, I'm not a big guy. I'm 5'6 on a good day. But I was towering over these kids. And I didn't have the sparring club t-shirt, so I just looked so out of place. They're all staring at me like "who are you and what are you doing here?"

Because of my size, there were only 2 kids I was allowed to spar. Both of them were around 10, and I think it was a month and a half before I scored a point on either of them. They left me with bruises every class. I used to joke I was gonna have a bowl of Advil with milk for breakfast the next morning.

I tell people "white belt is the hardest belt. And it only gets harder from there."
Are you saying your Dojang has a separate class/program for only sparring? I would be very interested in learning more about the curriculum. How you practice, what drills you do, etc... Thanks,

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are you saying your Dojang has a separate class/program for only sparring? I would be very interested in learning more about the curriculum. How you practice, what drills you do, etc... Thanks,

Because Taekwondo has such a broad list of what it can do, our main classes include a lot of different things. At the colored belt level, we do techniques (punches and kicks), forms, kick combination drills, sparring, and self defense drills. Sparring drills are maybe 10% of our week, and actual sparring maybe 5%. The sparring club is 50% sparring drills and 50% sparring.

It's basically just a more focused class, rather than a different class, if that makes sense.

Plin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My dojang also has a sparring class for those who want to add a more focused practice to their week.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because Taekwondo has such a broad list of what it can do, our main classes include a lot of different things. At the colored belt level, we do techniques (punches and kicks), forms, kick combination drills, sparring, and self defense drills. Sparring drills are maybe 10% of our week, and actual sparring maybe 5%. The sparring club is 50% sparring drills and 50% sparring.

It's basically just a more focused class, rather than a different class, if that makes sense.
Can you provide a typical list of drills?

Latest Discussions