If your instructor moved would you....

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I sought out my current instructor. He lives on the East Coast & I'm on the West. We email, phone & I send him video of my students' & my progress. I visit once a year. It works out very well.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I sought out my current instructor. He lives on the East Coast & I'm on the West. We email, phone & I send him video of my students' & my progress. I visit once a year. It works out very well.

I'm in Texas and he is in California we e-mail and send videos and we always see him at tournaments as well as a vist twice a year

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that my Sensei won't move...
If he left, I don't know what I'd do, because, to my mind, there aren't any other Shotokan dojos in the area worth attending...
Maybe I'd go over to EPAK...:confused:

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
If my Instructor left, it would depend on where he went to. If it were someplace where my family could make it financially and it was safe for the Ruffians, I would probably follow him. If not financially fesable I would go back to the first place I started in my art, which is in the next town. I have kept in touch with the instructors and both schools have a very close relationship as it is, with them coming over to our promotions and our school going over there when they have promotions. Our instructors train with them on a weekly basis and if there is a seminar somewhere we will carpool together. Other than that I would have to drive 4 or 5 hours either to Quebec City, or down to Portland, Maine. Both places have schools with great instructors.

The one other place there is in the two towns is a hodge-podge of several arts that have been tossed together and given a fancy name. .The problem is the "creator" of the "art" doesn't have good understanding of the various art forms he melded together individually, so it is sort of a joke.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When my instructor moved, I evaluated my options and then opened my own school! That was 13 years ago and it turned out to be a good choice! :)
There are always options. when one of my students moved down south, he wanted to continue training with me so he flies me down there and flies up here periodically. There is always a way!

Arizona Angel

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If I have it my way...loyality! I thought I might be crazy for wanting to follow my instructor if he moved. I am glad I am not the only one who feels this sense of loyality.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was dissatisfied with the options available to me, so I'm a video & long distance travelling for private lessons student of the IKCA.

L Canyon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If he moved to within let's say a 90-minute drive, I would continue to train with him. Maybe even if it was a 2 hour drive - but that would limit me to just weekends. Los Angeles traffic is brutal.