If You Support Government Subsidies for Amtrak, You Can Pay Less to Ride the Train

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
[h=1]If You Support Government Subsidies for Amtrak, You Can Pay Less to Ride the Train[/h]Boarding area.com EXCERPT:

I received an email this morning offering bonus points and a 10% discount on train travel when you join the National Association of Railroad Passengers.
SNIP
Put another way, Americans who pay to support more subsidies get charged less to travel on subsidized trains than those who oppose the subsidies. Two classes of citizens, based on political beliefs, when riding the train?
END EXCERPT
Amtrak is a complete waste of money and has been for years. If people wanted to ride the train, Amtrak wouldn't need to be supported by the government to stay in business.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If You Support Government Subsidies for Amtrak, You Can Pay Less to Ride the Train

Boarding area.com EXCERPT:

I received an email this morning offering bonus points and a 10% discount on train travel when you join the National Association of Railroad Passengers.
SNIP
Put another way, Americans who pay to support more subsidies get charged less to travel on subsidized trains than those who oppose the subsidies. Two classes of citizens, based on political beliefs, when riding the train?
END EXCERPT
Amtrak is a complete waste of money and has been for years. If people wanted to ride the train, Amtrak wouldn't need to be supported by the government to stay in business.
Much of the reason people don't ride the train, is because of government policy towards cars and planes, in the past. Member discounts are not some new evil plot, Don. I think trains should be making a comeback, and the outdated conservative ideal that we all have a car or we just jump on a plane, is just that, OUTDATED. Think about it. Do you want a bunch of Meth-heads and drunks taking a road trip?
Sean

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Boarding area.com EXCERPT:

SNIP
END EXCERPT

that's a BS analysis.
People who actually support the train, AKA ride it join the club and get a discount.

I don't even know if the train still runs here....
But the club is no different from any other place that still has trains, join a club or buy a special ticket and get reduced fare.

If the train was a feasable transportation, people would ride it.
In places in Europe it has become more efficient to ride the train than to fly, since the train takes you directly downtown, were as the airports are out side, you have no waiting times or long check in times or security hassles. Some cities are connected via high speed routes, making train travel faster than flying.
The US s*** that option away 30 years ago, as a matter of fact they turned a lot of train tracks into hiking trails. Good for my kid as they are ding a 50 miler with the scouts this weekend on one of them trails...but crappy for train traffic.

The infra structure won't be rebuild....

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
that's a BS analysis.
People who actually support the train, AKA ride it join the club and get a discount.

I don't even know if the train still runs here....
But the club is no different from any other place that still has trains, join a club or buy a special ticket and get reduced fare.

If the train was a feasable transportation, people would ride it.
In places in Europe it has become more efficient to ride the train than to fly, since the train takes you directly downtown, were as the airports are out side, you have no waiting times or long check in times or security hassles. Some cities are connected via high speed routes, making train travel faster than flying.
The US s*** that option away 30 years ago, as a matter of fact they turned a lot of train tracks into hiking trails. Good for my kid as they are ding a 50 miler with the scouts this weekend on one of them trails...but crappy for train traffic.

The infra structure won't be rebuild....
Where I live, trains run constantly; sounds like an East Coast thing. :)

Latest Discussions