I would like to study WC

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think Aikido and WC are the two arts that intrigue me the most. After watching the grados guy go to work on his students face lol. I like the wooden dummy things and I like how it basically finds openings and blocks and stuff. I would like to know an art that allows me to strike but also know an art that makes it so I don't know have to if I don't want to. There are not alot of school where I live. I live in Dallas, Texas. I know there are a TON in New York. I haven't found out all teh classes that UNT is going to teach but I found that they have Aikido and I am not sure what else. I would really like anyone elses input on this. I just like the way the grados guy moves in his videos and such and it seems to really develop reflexes along with hand movements. I always wanted to try one of those wooden dummy things.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wing Chun seems very practical and effective. The one practitioner of it I knew and worked with on occasion was very impressive.

A small, simple system with a well-defined philosophy/strategy of fighting--it makes sense to me.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I trained briefly in it for a couple months, but lost contact with the instructor. It was very interesting, and I'd love to get back into it.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carbon, just use a good search engine like Google.com and type in 'Wing Chun Dallas'. You should get quite a few hits.

Also, if you're interested in Wing Chun, I would also suggest looking into Filipino Martial Arts (FMA). Many of the same principles (sensitivity, economy of motion), but with one glaring difference: the FMA generally start you off with weapons first.

Good luck!

Cthulhu

OP
C

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am an all talk kinda person though lol I say I am interested in alot of things and I do read alot about them but I am lazy and do not actually go visit the places even though I have a car and alot of spare time :)

F

fist of fury

Then you'll also need to decide which leneige seems to fit you best, Wing Tsun-leung tings version, William cheugns version, Yip man,etc..

OP
C

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I looked at all of those and I foudn acouple of schools in denton where I will hopefully be going to college. I am thinking that I will be visiting those over the summer of my senior year or even this year if I have spare time. I am wondering does using a speed bag help you alot. I have a speed bag and I am better at it but the drills for it woudln't go all the way into the wall since they hit metal or something like a vent behind the beams we were drilling into and they are sticking out about 3/4 of an inch and it rattles alot I am wondering what I can do to remedy this? :) and also I hanged my punching bag from a single beam but for some reason it rattles the entire ceiling when I hit it. So I don't know how to fix this either.

F

fist of fury

I don't use a speed bag at this point in my training I don't see where it would help much, but there my be other WC practioners with a different opinion.

R

Richard S.

any speed bag training will do wonders for endurance, rythym and speed ive trained for 9yrs and dont feel right if i cant get in at least 2hrs a week on it

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by swordfighter

Check out the video clip,last on this page - expert bag punching,from 1903. :D

Bag punching

That was...different.

Gotta give him some credit, though...that had to have taken lots of practice.

Cthulhu