I want to get back into the dojo, but....

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Go swimming and sit in the hot tub once in a while. Make sure your whole chest is under water and practice deep breaths. It's like lifting weights with your lungs, expanding their capacity and stengthening the breathing muscles. Feels good on the sore muscles too. Hope it all works out for you.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have not been able to train for over a year now. At first, my job was far to time consuming and stressful to allow for any kind of outside life (high school band director, it's harder than many might think!) Took the summer off, deciding what to do with my life=no extra money to attend class. Then, found a new job that I love (telecom engineering, go figure!), and have been busy learing a whole new trade ever since, plus building my bank account back up!!

Now, I think I will have both the time and resources to start attending again, but I'm a little apprehensive. When I started martial arts 7 years ago, I was in great shape, walking to and from class 4-5 times a day (about a mile), college jogging class 2x a week, and martial arts 2-3x a week. However, the stressful job combined with the new desk job (and a strong fondess for the occasional video game) have pretty much ruined my conditioning! (went from 170 to 195 lbs, luckily it's distributed evenly!!)

I want to go back, but I am EMBARRASSED at my physical condition. Any tips on how to overcome this wimpy feeling from those who have been there?

Thanks in advance

P.S. I will make it to shodan! (a promise to myself)

Do not be embarrassed. Get back into it and have some fun.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob