I think my Hapkido journey is at an end

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have quit my current TKD/HKD school, in lieu of a move halfway across the country this summer. I have earned my HKD 1st Dan black belt, although I am still awaiting physical acknowledgment in the form of the belt and certificate. This marks the second art I have earned a black belt in, the first being my primary art of Taekwondo.

Where I am moving to, there is no Hapkido. There are a few TKD places, and a lot of BJJ places. I plan to continue my TKD journey. However, I will switch my grappling focus from HKD to BJJ. It's something I've wanted to learn for a long time, but haven't had the time. Now, I'm going to make time. Even if there were HKD schools in the new town, I probably still would make the switch. My Master taught a very focused version of HKD that focuses most on the joint locks. I don't really know that I would enjoy doing TKD and HKD together at another school which has a broader approach to the art, as much as I would in another dedicated grappling school.

However, even though my official journey has ended, HKD will still play a large role in my journey to come. In TKD, it will show up heavily in the self-defense portion of my curriculum. I know a lot of it is supposedly TKD as well, but we generally went deeper both in technical detail as well as practical application in the HKD class. Similarly, as I start taking BJJ, I will draw on my experience in HKD. Where there are similarities, I can draw inspiration. Where there are differences, I can learn another way of doing things, and figure out what works best for me. I also know a BJJ student who trained HKD at our school, and used the HKD techniques to great effect in defending grips, so I might find a few uses for some of the techniques I already know.

I'm done with HKD, but I probably never will be.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good for you, go for it! Hapkido and every art you learn will always be a part of you. BJJ is a fine art and I know you will learn loads.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I look forward to hearing about your road of discovery in BJJ. The approach will likely be very different from what you experienced in HKD, so it'll be a lot of fun. Don't forget to look back from time to time and ask how you can use some of those HKD principles from a BJJ position.

Gonna be a blast, man!

oneoftheherd80

White Belt
Reaction score
I have considered that your Hapkido was rather a construct of your teacher. Nothing wrong with that, his school his teaching emphasis. I look forward to if you can find a more traditional HKD school and choose to go with it or try BJJ. I don't think you will go wrong either way. From what I have seen of BJJ, there are many good things to learn. (Except maybe for its apparent emphasis on going to the floor quickly.

But against a single opponent, that can't hurt either. Well, except your opponent. ;)

Please keep us posted.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have considered that your Hapkido was rather a construct of your teacher. Nothing wrong with that, his school his teaching emphasis. I look forward to if you can find a more traditional HKD school and choose to go with it or try BJJ. I don't think you will go wrong either way. From what I have seen of BJJ, there are many good things to learn. (Except maybe for its apparent emphasis on going to the floor quickly.

But against a single opponent, that can't hurt either. Well, except your opponent. ;)

Please keep us posted.
There is 0 Hapkido where I will be moving, so even if it was a consideration, I wouldn't be able to.

BobY777

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have quit my current TKD/HKD school, in lieu of a move halfway across the country this summer. I have earned my HKD 1st Dan black belt, although I am still awaiting physical acknowledgment in the form of the belt and certificate. This marks the second art I have earned a black belt in, the first being my primary art of Taekwondo.

Where I am moving to, there is no Hapkido. There are a few TKD places, and a lot of BJJ places. I plan to continue my TKD journey. However, I will switch my grappling focus from HKD to BJJ. It's something I've wanted to learn for a long time, but haven't had the time. Now, I'm going to make time. Even if there were HKD schools in the new town, I probably still would make the switch. My Master taught a very focused version of HKD that focuses most on the joint locks. I don't really know that I would enjoy doing TKD and HKD together at another school which has a broader approach to the art, as much as I would in another dedicated grappling school.

However, even though my official journey has ended, HKD will still play a large role in my journey to come. In TKD, it will show up heavily in the self-defense portion of my curriculum. I know a lot of it is supposedly TKD as well, but we generally went deeper both in technical detail as well as practical application in the HKD class. Similarly, as I start taking BJJ, I will draw on my experience in HKD. Where there are similarities, I can draw inspiration. Where there are differences, I can learn another way of doing things, and figure out what works best for me. I also know a BJJ student who trained HKD at our school, and used the HKD techniques to great effect in defending grips, so I might find a few uses for some of the techniques I already know.

One good option would be to change to aikido. You can get a lot out of it , as it focuses on the nyances of hapkido techniques from a different perspective.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can still joint lock people in bjj. Just don't be a duche about it.

I do wrist locks over about 5 to ten seconds. They don't work as well. But if I get them then I know I have done them right.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score

Hopefully one of the TKD schools in your new area will incorporate Hap into their program. It is not uncommon.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hopefully one of the TKD schools in your new area will incorporate Hap into their program. It is not uncommon.
I didn't like either the HKD or TKD schools in my area. I'm now doing BJJ/MT and I love this school.

Latest Discussions