What future do you want?

spud

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I’ve been concerned for many years that HKD would one day go through a dramatic change like TKD did in a relative short period of time. Now please don’t get me wrong, I’m not disrespecting TKD as an art but I no longer do TKD because I personally feel that what it has become in general, isn’t what I learnt many years ago & no longer represents what I believe in. This is not a matter of one art being better or worst than any other it’s a matter of “what do we want to be, know by or as in the future”.

I know this would mean that as a whole would have to put aside the immediate reaction of promoting, self, school, head instructors, organisations, masters & Grand masters & really think about the artÂ’s best interest. I think itÂ’s worth taking more than a moment & the effort if our community is to have some direction in the arts future rather than reacting too or being controlled by some of the negative influences that tend to make us make changes that arenÂ’t necessarily what we would have chosen ourselves.

I suppose IÂ’m asking for ideas other than training, teaching & living our lives in a honourable manner & leading by positive example, which most of us try to do already.

My hope is someday our art will be know by all as open, honest, tolerant to the many variations, individuals ideas, no infighting to the extent of splintering, people of integrity & honour. Now I know IÂ’m talking about something that may not exist in the minds of many people today as possible but who thought they would one day be a black belt after their first class?

HKD is in many ways still in its infancy & as such the whole HKD community has a responsibility to help it grow into what it is we feel is good & true & not let others do with it what they want, then sit back & complain about where its gone wrong. HKD people arenÂ’t prone to being inactive about most things but I can understand how some would think its all to hard or to big or IÂ’m just one person, together we are the many not the few.

Time to get of my soap box, I know many will view this as a pipe dream or the ranting of an optimist who's lost his grip on reality, your welcome to you point of view but at least I can say I did the tiniest bit to raise the general awareness of the possibility.

OP
spud

spud

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I know this is a big ask but IÂ’m not looking for one magic solution just lots a little pieces to the bigger picture. I have previously posted something similar on another MA forum & got a zero response. It seemed to scare people away. IÂ’m hoping that people here are more open to sharing ideas without fearing loss of reputation in the eyes of their peers or are a little more optimistic.

Please share your thoughts even if you think IÂ’m a nutter, its better than listening to the crickets chirp in the background, IÂ’m open to all & any ideas.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Spud,

I can understand where you are coming from. The divisiveness and in-fighting of different Hapkido factions used to really get to me.

I guess it all comes down to what differences you can actually make that are in your control. It has to start at home,I think.

Taking these steps has to do with acknowledging that there is no such animal as a,one,true,version of Hapkido. One can assign any label they want to and sqeeze their eyes shut and wish real hard,but it doesn't make it so. Fact is..people are getting their technique and outlook through the filters of their instructors..the instructors say "This is how it was and is.." and the students continue to propogate the same division and animosity for no more reason then "because Sabumnim said so.."

I think also that we need to recognize the "sameness" in technique between what "style" of Hapkido we practice and what others practice. If people focused HALF of the energy they put into in-fighting,derision,and all around un-cooperation..Hapkido would be at the top of the KMA food chain.

Like I said..we need to stop talking trash about Mst Joe Blow whom we don't like because our teacher didn't and most importantly.. train with other Hapkidoin. I bet a big part of the lack of communication involved is because Hapkidoin as a whole rarely get together to share information in a non-politically charged and open atmosphere.

Teach tolerance,humility,loyalty.. but make sure to focus on the positive instead of "Well..your technique sux because you do it different" type of garbage and we'll be on our way.

OP
spud

spud

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Paul that was fantastic!!!! I couldn’t agree more, I teach my students (our collective future) to accept there are different variables of how HKD is interpreted & taught & to have an open mind & tolerance towards those who may do thing a little different.
We are all brothers & sisters & as we know brothers & sisters sometime do the opposite to that we would do but they still family.

We have an open door policy to all fellow HKD people regardless for where they come from & in fact that extends to other styles. Some of by best friends are instructors in several different styles all together & occasionally have be honoured by them sharing with the school their skills & the thinking behind their styles training.

As you said Paul this is in our control & it’s what I’m doing already, unfortunately we are only a very small school so don’t attract a lot of attention & a lot of larger schools don’t consider us worthy of cross training with or have a non mixing policy. I think that stems from a fear that students may jump ship but my policy is if a student wishes to change schools I need to know that they have their current instructors blessings first if I know the instructor or of them so as to build trust between all in our art.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aww shucks..

Well..I think it is of vast importance to really take a good look at how we present ourselves and our art of Hapkido.

Not by just talking "shop" to everyone here..but also for the potential student(s) that may stumble onto one of the petty bickering threads that seem to rear up every so often in this section. I truly believe it has no place at all in our art,and especially from people who proclaim to be "Masters"..it cheapens us and the art as a whole when we get into a "my belt is blacker than your's" type of deal.

But thanks for your kind words..it sounds like there might be a few of us sane Hapkidoin out there..but as always it's debatable..:)

OP
spud

spud

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Paul I know their are many of us out their but we tend to be the ones who go about our lives without making too many waves, I think itÂ’s OK to do so as long as their positive ones. Oh & I often say to my guys a black belt doesnÂ’t get any blacker with another Dan if anything if your not careful it fades with time.

Maybe their should be some kind of “friendly society” For HKD, no money, no ultimate power, no controlling aspect just a place where we all can stand on common ground & stare ideas that pertain only to the furthering of HKD in general.