I think im going to have to stop strength training

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So schedule is crazy. I'm lucky to squeeze in my martial arts solo training and classes, but with the addition of strength training recently its getting to be too much. I Like the results I have got, but it's literally a battle for time. Some days I have to decide between the two because I don't have time for both. Strength training is good but its a supplement to my training, my art means more to me and I don't feel right chosing between it and lifting on some days. The art matters way more to me. I have gotten good gains from the strength work and I hope I get to keep them, but I'm only gonna have the time to train kali and not do my supplemental strength stuff. Is it possible to gain strength through just my kali training? We do alot of stick work, but no calisthenics or anything like that. But in order to continue to keep moving forward in my skills I have to get rid of the lifting. So for now just pure technical training.

Cornfed

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A good strength training program need only take up about 4 or 5 hours a week or so. That is almost certainly time better spent than anything else you are likely to do with it.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
So schedule is crazy. I'm lucky to squeeze in my martial arts solo training and classes, but with the addition of strength training recently its getting to be too much. I Like the results I have got, but it's literally a battle for time. Some days I have to decide between the two because I don't have time for both. Strength training is good but its a supplement to my training, my art means more to me and I don't feel right chosing between it and lifting on some days. The art matters way more to me. I have gotten good gains from the strength work and I hope I get to keep them, but I'm only gonna have the time to train kali and not do my supplemental strength stuff. Is it possible to gain strength through just my kali training? We do alot of stick work, but no calisthenics or anything like that. But in order to continue to keep moving forward in my skills I have to get rid of the lifting. So for now just pure technical training.
Is it just a matter of time, or is recovery part of the issue? If it's just time, you can get fantastic results with a good high intensity strength training program with a tiny time commitment, and I do mean tiny. If getting sufficient recovery is part of the problem then HIT probably isn't going to help.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A good strength training program need only take up about 4 or 5 hours a week or so. That is almost certainly time better spent than anything else you are likely to do with it.
Oh I dunno. It seems to me that he said the martial arts is more important to him and the strength training is only supplemental to that. So I would say spending that time on martial arts training is time better spent, if his time is limited and he needs to choose one or the other.

Cornfed

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Oh I dunno. It seems to me that he said the martial arts is more important to him and the strength training is only supplemental to that. So I would say spending that time on martial arts training is time better spent, if his time is limited and he needs to choose one or the other.
Whether his aim is to look good practising his art or actually beat people in fights, a few hours of strength training a week would probably be more helpful than a few more hours directly practising his art.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Whether his aim is to look good practising his art or actually beat people in fights, a few hours of strength training a week would probably be more helpful than a few more hours directly practising his art.
So you didn’t read what he wrote or what I wrote? That is an “interesting” logic that you postulate.

Scotsman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
One full body workout will keep most of your gains or say Monday lower body & Friday upper body. Of course it's then better to use basic exercises

Squats
Deadlifts
Chins or rows
Overhead press
Bench press or parallel bar dips

Even with just Squats & say dips you'll stay strong. Think simple & use as much muscle as possible in each exercise. This can be a short & hard workout...if done with intent.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I get ya. It can certainly be tricky, and certain MAs do build strength; I can't speak to yours.

But like others have said, you can still get good results and even maintain strength from just a once a week session. Superset exercises and you cut time dramatically.

Scotsman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Superset exercises
only problem i have here is with supersets you can´t train with a real weight to tax your muscles (remember he needs to train maybe 1x a week)
he needs as you American boys say, "Get most bang for his bucks"
Supersets are a time saver but not for any real muscle building. (yes Arnold did them for chest+ back, antagonistic muscle groups or can be done for the same muscle group.. Superset 2 exercises, Tri set 3 exercises or 4+ Giant sets.)

He could also look into Bob Gadja & his style of training in this way he would still work hard but alternate upper & lower body exercises therefor still retaining some muscle building qualities.

Last edited:

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
only problem i have here is with supersets you can´t train with a real weight to tax your muscles (remember he needs to train maybe 1x a week)
he needs as you American boys say, "Get most bang for his bucks"
Supersets are a time saver but not for any real muscle building. (yes Arnold did them for chest+ back, antagonistic muscle groups or can be done for the same muscle group.. Superset 2 exercises, Tri set 3 exercises or 4+ Giant sets.)

He could also look into Bob Gadja & his style of training in this way he would still work hard but alternate upper & lower body exercises therefor still retaining some muscle building qualities.
It depends on his goals of course (pure strength or primarily hypertrophy), but super sets can absolutely be used. It may not be optimal, especially for pure strength, but it's a tradeoff. Super sets absolutely 100% can be, and very often are, used for hypertrophy purposes (I'm talking antagonist or even completely different body parts like chest and quads etc.)

If he has time for 1 session a week and if he has 1 hour he doesn't need to superset, can get full body done in that time easy :)

Edit: ah just saw your edit, yep exactly

Scotsman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It depends on his goals of course (pure strength or primarily hypertrophy), but super sets can absolutely be used. It may not be optimal, especially for pure strength, but it's a tradeoff. Super sets absolutely 100% can be, and very often are, used for hypertrophy purposes (I'm talking antagonist or even completely different body parts like chest and quads etc.)

If he has time for 1 session a week and if he has 1 hour he doesn't need to superset, can get full body done in that time easy :)

Edit: ah just saw your edit, yep exactly
yeah depends what he wants.

WEIDER Principles Baby !! :D

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
thank you but it´s not really important.
Oh yeah, it's important to me. When I read your posts now, I imagine a thick Scottish accent. When I read Simon, I'm hearing "Broad Austrailian". I imagine I'm way off the mark, but it keeps me entertained. :D

BTW I'm a afraid I speak a pretty boring and generic variety of American English and can't really "do" other accents at will .

..but put me in a bar almost anywhere, give me a few beers and what comes out of my mouth involuntarily begins to sound like whatever the locals are speaking. Strange. Wish I could do the same thing with martial arts! ;)

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I get ya. It can certainly be tricky, and certain MAs do build strength; I can't speak to yours.

But like others have said, you can still get good results and even maintain strength from just a once a week session. Superset exercises and you cut time dramatically.
Yep! You can also do a single set to complete failure, no rest between sets, with about 4 exercises on machines (or free weights if you've got a qualified spotter) and get done in <~30 minutes, once a week. They need to be big, compound movements, but if you're concerned about time that's what you should focus on anyway.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The art matters way more to me.
There’s your answer. The art is the most important thing to you so ensure your practise of that never suffers for what is essentially an activity to try an enhance your art. When you win big on the lottery, you can give up work or whatever and go back to the gym 😉

Latest Discussions