Power training and intervals

B

BaktoBasics

Hi guys, have been working on strength for 10 weeks. Have promised I will stop when I notice my jeans getting tight. Well, they are finally getting tighter and will start my strength meintenance phase while looking to cut 2kg of fat. I have put on 7kg in total but most of it is muscle - know this because of my strength gains, and, of course, a change in size.

Having said that, does ayone mix power/strength training with martial arts? How do you cut? I do interval training.

Also, does anyone know of any good interval timers? I usually do interval training of 2-3 minute rounds. However, I have poor vision and cannot see the clock at my gym and get so into it that it helps if I have a timer that will beep.

Does anyone have any nifty tricks for timing intervals?

Also, any new idea's for max power? Today I did 60 10m sprints (shuttle runs), and, every second sprint, getting the heavy bag, doing an explosive clean and jerk and throw it explosively as far as I could (like the old Scots and their log throwing) - I was GASPING for air afterwards.

It is supposed to be great for power. As I said in the other post, can't go past explosice compound lifts for power (for power, they need to be explosive as you also train your CNS for speed and to use all the muscles in harmony and cooperation).

Thanks for any comments and idea's.

Any other cool idea's for max power?

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
At the police academy I attended we ran a great circuit workout. Here's how I did it. Note that the number of reps are adjusted for the individual, some did more, some less. Tailor it to suit.
  • 50 Jumping jacks
  • Run 200 yards
  • 35 push ups
  • run 200 yards
  • 30 crunches
  • run 200 yards
  • 35 push ups
  • run 200 yards
  • 30 crunches
  • run 200 yards
  • 40 half squats
  • run 200 yards
  • 30 crunches
  • run 200 yards
  • 40 toe raises
  • run 200 yards
  • 20 push ups/ 20 crunches
  • run half mile
  • 50 jumping jacks
  • run 200 yards
  • 35 push ups
  • run 200 yards
  • 30 crunches
  • run 200 yards
  • 35 push ups
  • run 200 yards
  • 30 crunches
  • run 200 yards
  • 45 half squats
  • run 200 yards
  • 30 crunches
  • run 200 yards
  • 40 toe raises
  • run 200 yards
  • 20 push ups/ 20 sit ups
  • run 1 mile
Do it as quickly as you can. It's a good work out that can be done in 30 minutes or so.

Latest Discussions