I tested for Red Belt this past Thursday...and.....

OP
ShelleyK

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Sorry to come late, congratulation to both of you but specialy to you, how didi your feet felt in the examination? everything is ok?

You look great with your new belt.

Manny

I stumbled 2 times in my form :( Once during the tiger stance-double body block and then again 2 more steps after that :( But overall I did really well, GM and Master Moon both took into consideration my post surgery and my torn ligament, and Master Moon even told me how good my spinning kick was :)

knuckleheader

Green Belt
Reaction score
I will be learning Palgwe Chil (Jil) Jang form
More new 1-step sparring
how to properly execute a knife hand strike for my board breaking technique
How to do a hook kick...which for me will be near impossible since I have arthritis in my hips...I can barely do a roundhouse let alone a hook kick LOL

This will be the start of my preperation for earning my black belt in April...YAY! 9 months away!

Hi Shelly, do you use a makiwara in the do jang or at home?

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I stumbled 2 times in my form :( Once during the tiger stance-double body block and then again 2 more steps after that :( But overall I did really well, GM and Master Moon both took into consideration my post surgery and my torn ligament, and Master Moon even told me how good my spinning kick was :)

I know what it feels, I also stumble in my poomsae becaus of the tkd shoes I am using with the insoles, so yesterday when doing poomsae I just get rid of the shoes and bare feet was something completly diferent, I think I will use the shoes for the kicking techs and the bare foot for doing poomsae because doing Kungam poomsae I need all the balance I can get.

manny

OP
ShelleyK

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Sorry to come late, congratulation to both of you but specialy to you, how didi your feet felt in the examination? everything is ok?

You look great with your new belt.

Manny

Hi Shelly, do you use a makiwara in the do jang or at home?

I actually had to look up what a makiwara was! No Ive never used one, I have one of these at home to use for punches and kicks...

hand_target.jpg

We also use small square targets to do knife hand strike on

knuckleheader

Green Belt
Reaction score
I actually had to look up what a makiwara was! No Ive never used one, I have one of these at home to use for punches and kicks...

hand_target.jpg

We also use small square targets to do knife hand strike on

Do some research on the makiwara. Try and mount it on a wooden beam w/flexibility. There are some books too.

Of course, your instructor should fully inform you of this type of training.
Using hammer fist or shuto(knife hand)strikes. You develope strength in your hands for breaking. Or as we say in Japanese, tamashiwari.
Hope I spelled it correctly
http://www.wadokarate.eclipse.co.uk/tamashiw.htm

OP
ShelleyK

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As far as I know TKD doesnt us this device, and with as much training as I do at the school I dont think I would have enough energy or time to use this device at home, I sure dont have anywhere to install it...