I passed my Gold Sash Test!!

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sashes are good for taking lives, one raspy breath at a time - and little else. Don't equate rank progress with fighting ability. How many Taolu (forms) you can remember during a fight is far less useful than how many fighting techniques you can use, even if they are deceptively simple. When your assailant is getting ready for his attack and you are armed with nothing but Taolu, you will wish you had that sash handy.

When I first started MA about seven years ago I quickly progressed and got more belts than I could save space for. I quickly realised, after wasting several years in the rank race, that what I should have been coveting was a high level of Jibengong (Foundation training). After having "obtained" that, anything else was easy to learn. No matter how good your spirit, mind, and ego are, if they can't follow your body, your training amounts to 0.00. But if you are in it for Taolu and sashes then congratulations, thy goal be achieved! Otherwise... Get back to the training hall and use that sweat and blood to achieve something far superior: 功夫 (Gongfu - skill gained from hard work; AKA you can kick ****). ;)

OP
masherdong

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sashes are good for taking lives, one raspy breath at a time - and little else. Don't equate rank progress with fighting ability. How many Taolu (forms) you can remember during a fight is far less useful than how many fighting techniques you can use, even if they are deceptively simple. When your assailant is getting ready for his attack and you are armed with nothing but Taolu, you will wish you had that sash handy.

When I first started MA about seven years ago I quickly progressed and got more belts than I could save space for. I quickly realised, after wasting several years in the rank race, that what I should have been coveting was a high level of Jibengong (Foundation training). After having "obtained" that, anything else was easy to learn. No matter how good your spirit, mind, and ego are, if they can't follow your body, your training amounts to 0.00. But if you are in it for Taolu and sashes then congratulations, thy goal be achieved! Otherwise... Get back to the training hall and use that sweat and blood to achieve something far superior: 功夫 (Gongfu - skill gained from hard work; AKA you can kick ****).

You can not pay me for the many beatings that I have taken during my training they are all priceless. Trust me, I can handle my self in a hand to hand combat situation. That has been proven on more than one occasion.

I know what you mean though. I say the same to my fellow classmates that the sash only covers your waist, the rest is up to you to cover.

OP
masherdong

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Fair dinkum. I was just checking. You never can tell these days with all these children running around with black belts and [insert colour here] sashes. It's sickening, to say the least. Do not take offense to my rantings.

None taken. I understand everyone's point. I agree with everyone that the belt/sash does not show that you can actually handle yourself in a fight. I have seen people that received their BB in about 2 yrs and got their teeth kicked in when they were fighting in the street. It took me 5.5 years to get my first BB. I took sooooo many beatings on the way to achieving that goal. Kind of glad I did because it paid off when I had my altercations out in public.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Fair dinkum. I was just checking. ;) You never can tell these days with all these children running around with black belts and [insert colour here] sashes. It's sickening, to say the least. Do not take offense to my rantings.
sashes in CMA only indicate how long you have been paying to the school. they really do not mean anything else

OP
masherdong

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
sashes in CMA only indicate how long you have been paying to the school. they really do not mean anything else

There is a traditional shaolin kung fu academy here in town and they do not use any type of ranking. They just where the orange pants and a red t-shirt.

Latest Discussions