I need to create a simple training tool.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Anyone good at creating their own training equipment that doesn't weigh a ton?

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Question #1 what is a good way to create a secure base in to secure a pole that can be used for striking. The base cannot use cement.

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Weight, diameter, composition of pole? Area/space available for base? Budget?

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Find a good banana tree and go at it.
I have a banana tree. about 6 of them. They are full of water, worst training tool ever ha ha ha. They aren't Most affordable though because they grow like weeds.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Weight, diameter, composition of pole? Area/space available for base? Budget?
Weight, diameter: Whatever works that is manageable. Something I wouldn't have problems with setting up and breaking down if needed. I wonder if I can have a circular base like dvocohran showed have 3 poles that at the base that lay flat and radiate out. If they are long enough then that should provide a stable base and I wouldn't need a lot of weight to stabilize it.

Pole: Probably wood
Area: of base? not sure because I don't know how much space is needed to stabilize the base. I just know I don't want it to be something that's a pain to breakdown and set up.

This is what I'm thinking look at the top of the base. The green area is where I can put a wooden pole or pole of choice. I'm thinking if the end of the legs can be weighted with bags if needed. I'm not sure how long the legs would need to be in relation to the pole order for this to work.
1633840374116.png

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
1633874261864.png

Remove backboard. If you need more weight add sandbags. Probably can find a used one with the rim or backboard damaged pretty cheap.

You can get a welder to cut the pole to whatever height you want for probably about 20 dollars. And could get the welder to cut the bottom, add a collar that the pole would slide into and add wing nuts to the brackets to make it easy to disassemble.

Just an idea

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks. That shows what I needed to see. I see how it's rocks which means those legs are too short for the amount of force that it's taking. I'm not a big fan of tires so I'll have to figure out a substitute. I'm hoping to be able to use this one indoors as well as outdoors. So I'm wondering if wooden poles for the legs can be used. Or smaller planks. Nails, insertions, or lockable Joints? I guess I'll just have to build one out.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
can you accomodate an old tire with concrete in it?
I've used tether ball poles like this and other applications. You can tip it and roll the tire to move it easily enough depending on the type of post or pole you put into it.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks. That shows what I needed to see. I see how it's rocks which means those legs are too short for the amount of force that it's taking. I'm not a big fan of tires so I'll have to figure out a substitute. I'm hoping to be able to use this one indoors as well as outdoors. So I'm wondering if wooden poles for the legs can be used. Or smaller planks. Nails, insertions, or lockable Joints? I guess I'll just have to build one out.
Instead of the tire, you could brace the 2x4 base with a flat piece of plywood and put a sandbag on each of the three legs. It looks like a good basic design to me. I like that it would be useful for many striking arts from HEMA and Escrima to boxing and kickboxing.

Oh ...and cheap and easy. I always like cheap and easy. Just don't tell my wife! ....Bada boom. :p

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wonder...if you took a larger diameter PVC pipe like a 6 inch diameter fill a third of it with sand and cap both ends...if it would make it more rigid and stable but still be durable enough to hit and kick.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
View attachment 27379

Remove backboard. If you need more weight add sandbags. Probably can find a used one with the rim or backboard damaged pretty cheap.

You can get a welder to cut the pole to whatever height you want for probably about 20 dollars. And could get the welder to cut the bottom, add a collar that the pole would slide into and add wing nuts to the brackets to make it easy to disassemble.

Just an idea
Damn... that's a great idea!

Jusroc

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Floor to ceiling bag I think is worth considering.
Can be used with a free standing boxing bag stand
or even just a hook on a beam or even high tree branch
anchor with a few kg of free weights

for grappling, heavy duty resistance bands can help practice technique and pulling / pushing power
neil adams ones are really durable and have gi material sewn at each end to help people develop
grips for gi's.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would work on hanging heavy bag INSIDE the garage. I don't like outdoor, can be too hot or too cold or rain!!! I have a set routine, I cannot stop just because it rains.

For better exercise, i hang two heavy bags in my garage. One longer 100lbs I can do low kicks, one 70lbs normal bag.

Do not use bag stands, it's too limited. Has to be free hanging from the ceiling. I do have experience hanging in a few houses, if you are interested, we can talk. I am very creative in setting up home gym.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would work on hanging heavy bag INSIDE the garage. I don't like outdoor, can be too hot or too cold or rain!!! I have a set routine, I cannot stop just because it rains.

For better exercise, i hang two heavy bags in my garage. One longer 100lbs I can do low kicks, one 70lbs normal bag.

Do not use bag stands, it's too limited. Has to be free hanging from the ceiling. I do have experience hanging in a few houses, if you are interested, we can talk. I am very creative in setting up home gym.
This tool will be able to be used indoors and outdoors. But it has to be stable to handle a few kicks and a few punches without tipping over.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This tool will be able to be used indoors and outdoors. But it has to be stable to handle a few kicks and a few punches without tipping over.
If it has to be portable, buy Slam-man type water base, but fill with sand. Don't know how long it'll last.

PM to Lamont Glass aka Blindside here, he uses a human upper body type of water based for stick practice, looks to be durable. But it's quite expensive. He usually on weapon forum here.

I would still consider hanging a heavy bag indoor and sand based one outdoor. It's so inconvenient to move it back and fore. Nothing beats the heavy bag hanging on ceiling. You saw the video of my two bags. I have been beating with the cane(tip wrapped with foam of cause). It's been 7 months, the two bags still looking good.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions