I need to create a simple training tool.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If it has to be portable, buy Slam-man type water base, but fill with sand. Don't know how long it'll last.

PM to Lamont Glass aka Blindside here, he uses a human upper body type of water based for stick practice, looks to be durable. But it's quite expensive. He usually on weapon forum here.

I would still consider hanging a heavy bag indoor and sand based one outdoor. It's so inconvenient to move it back and fore. Nothing beats the heavy bag hanging on ceiling. You saw the video of my two bags. I have been beating with the cane(tip wrapped with foam of cause). It's been 7 months, the two bags still looking good.
Do you know if they make sandbags with handles or a fabric case to hold sandbags.?

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Do you know if they make sandbags with handles or a fabric case to hold sandbags.?
I never saw one before, I might not be looking hard enough because if I want one, I'll have my big boss sew one for me. Sounds like an easy sewing project that I can even sew one myself if I really want one. You have a sewing machine at home? If so, buy some canvas material and sew it yourself. Only a few straight lines of sewing, fill sand and stitch the opening close.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I never saw one before, I might not be looking hard enough because if I want one, I'll have my big boss sew one for me. Sounds like an easy sewing project that I can even sew one myself if I really want one. You have a sewing machine at home? If so, buy some canvas material and sew it yourself. Only a few straight lines of sewing, fill sand and stitch the opening close.
I took a look just to see what I could find and the Tent /Canopy Sandbags look like a good start and I can get them for under $20

This is pretty much the concept of how I may try to weigh the base. This would still give me room to weigh the legs with similar bags maybe smaller or the same size. It might even be durable enough to do low leg kicks even though they aren't made for that. If I design the base correctly I should be able to create a multi-use training equipment.
1635377282751.png

The same sand bag may also double as an individual training equipment.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I took a look just to see what I could find and the Tent /Canopy Sandbags look like a good start and I can get them for under $20

This is pretty much the concept of how I may try to weigh the base. This would still give me room to weigh the legs with similar bags maybe smaller or the same size. It might even be durable enough to do low leg kicks even though they aren't made for that. If I design the base correctly I should be able to create a multi-use training equipment.
View attachment 27482
From this picture, the center of gravity is too high. It might work holding the tent down, but if you punch and kick high, it's going to tumble over. You need to have something that has very low center of gravity. That's the reason those slam man has the water/sand at the bottom. Even at that, water is no where heavy enough. Even I can punch and knock it over with water with one punch. I bet it won't hold up at all for you. I had two of the water base ones and I gave them all away. I don't want to use sand because it's too heavy to move it. I have heavy bags hanging already, no point of trying too hard with those.

It is not easy, you said you have banana trees, see whether it is strong enough to hang a heavy bag. A big tree is your best bet......But then, what if it rains? Those vinyl cover bags won't stand up for $hit, you have to have either canvas or leather to hold up. You'll break those vinyl in weeks. But canvas or leather is not water proof.

You need at least a 70lbs bag, those 40lbs are not going to do it for you. It's too heavy to carry it back to the house every time it rains. A lot of those water base stuffs seems to be water proof. The slam man definitely water proof(without the electronics), the other one I have is Chuck Norris one I bought long time ago, it's vinyl though.

Punching and kicking is very harsh.

What is the reason you don't want to use cement base into the ground? Only cement with a big pole can do it, you still better dig deep, don't think they cannot be topple over. I am not even comfortable using a 6"X6" wood pole. Remember my video of punching the pole, it's about 6X6, it's anchor on both top and bottom. I don't even punch hard, but the whole thing vibrates when I punch. If it is anchor only at the bottom, you are going to break it at the base sooner or later if you starting to do high side kicks.

Another note: If you are tying the sand bag on the pole like in the picture, it won't move when you punch and kick. It might be very damaging to your joints. Hanging bags move upon impact. Punching is ok as you are not suppose to move the bag, but for side kick, if it doesn't move, it's going to hurt your knee, hip and back. It's very different kicking the 100lbs bag vs 70lbs even they are both free hanging. Just because the 100lbs move less, I can feel the impact on my knee, foot and all. Watch out if you punch and kick an unmovable object.

Last edited:

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Remember years ago I made my own makiwara.
Was brutal on my hands. Would not do it nowadays.
Had also an old long green army kit bag full of sand from a building site. Sand was compact in the bag and got really hard when punched. Again I would not do it now.. amazed I never bloke my hands but Was blood on the bag ..Lol
Was fun though training in my basement with my mate.
Now I am more sensible :D

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What is the reason you don't want to use cement base into the ground?
Because I'm looking for a training tool that I can move and set up for use in a park. The tent bags come in various weight sizes that I can adjust. There will be a 3 three leg base that will help to keep it from tilting over. I think I can squeeze a total of 60 lbs - 140lbs worth of weight to hold it down so I'm not too worried about that. That's with 3 - 7 bags. The weight varies depending on the type of training exercise I'm using.
Another note: If you are tying the sand bag on the pole like in the picture, it won't move when you punch and kick. It might be very damaging to your joints.
The pole may not move but the sand will and the bags will allow me to change how I stuff them. Sand at the bottom and a different material at the top if needed. For punching I will use lighter objects to train punching. I think the build will only withstand the following training
Speed, Accuracy, certain kicks, punches, elbow strikes. Punching power will be mainly around light to - medium power. Full power strikes may be possible depending on what I stuff the bags with. I have a kicking pad that is stuff with plastic bags and no matter how hard I kick that bag, or drive an elbow into it, the full power never reaches the bag holder. The bags absorb a lot of that force, which makes it great for full power striking without hurting one's partner. I think I can do the same thing with smaller bags.

I don't think the base will survive a heavy bag and strikes to a heavy bag. This training tool won't be left outside.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score

View attachment 27482

The same sand bag may also double as an individual training equipment.
You really got me thinking!!!

How about a kids swing set. Get a heavy duty one. They meant to have weights hanging and swinging. If you have kids, that would be perfect. You hang a bag on one side and keep the other part a swing for kids.

But you still might need some sand bags like in your picture. I suspect when you punch and kick, the swing set might "walk". But you don't have to have cement foot or even dig into the ground.

But it is not portable so you can take it to the park!!! But at least you can put it in your back yard, no cement, the bag is not fixed(will swing), when rain, take the bags in, the swing set can take the rain.

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Anyone good at creating their own training equipment that doesn't weigh a ton?
I made myself a boxing bag using scrap tyres. You can get them for free off of the facebook marketplace.

Latest Discussions