I need help choosing a martial art!

R

rebeldragon951

I want joint locks and punching... I am not too flexible, but I have alot of strength. Plus I need a deit and workout routine. Can anyone help me out!? I don't want lots of kicks...!

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My advice is to look around your area and see what you can find. Drop by some schools and ask if you can watch a class.

As for a diet and routine....those are gonna have to come from yourself more than the outside world...

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm... Joint locks and punching with less kicking techniques? I think of Jujitsu or Hapkido for joint locks, not sure how many hand techs. each of these have. Aikido is out if you want hand techniques. Kempo/Kenpo sounds like a good match, some have more kicks than others.

You could always cross-train like, Hapkido and Boxing, or Jujitsu and Wing Chun etc. Kempo is the closest to what you asked for though...

Cheers!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Locks, punching...not so much kicking...strong, but not flexible...

What's available near you? What you describe sounds like Hapkido (one of the versions with fewer kicks) or Jujutsu (one of the versions with more atemi, or striking techniques) or possibly a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu school that also does some type of MMA/Vale Tudo. But, other styles might be appropriate too.

Doubling-up something like Judo and Boxing could work too!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Traditional Hapkido or Combat Hapkido..Look in the Yellow Pages for a local school..

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You might look into Wing Tsun or Kenpo. Kenpo has some kicks Usually Low Bur Wing Tsun is great for Locks and Punching

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
If available you might check out Aikijujutsu, Small-circle ju-jutsu, or a Southern Chinese martial art(like Hung Gar, Choy Li Fut, etc.).

The diet and workout can be determined by a personal trainer or if you have a Borders books near you. Borders has a very good selection of boks on both diet and exercise. I would recommend either Body For Life by Bill Philips or Abs Diet by David Zcinzenko. Both of them are very good and can help get you started.

If you have a natural lack of flexibility don't let that deter you from a particular martial art. If you start stretching daily and work at it you can become flexible. Look into taking some yoga.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rebeldragon951 said:
I want joint locks and punching... I am not too flexible, but I have alot of strength. Plus I need a deit and workout routine. Can anyone help me out!? I don't want lots of kicks...!
well... I think just about everyone will tell you to take what they do as it is perfect for you...

A better solution is to find out what classes are available close to you and go do a trial class or two. Style isn't that important, the instructor and the people you train with are. Plus two schools of the same style may have completely different focuses in what they do.

Pale Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
Even tho I am not in Hapkido or Akido - I would recommend either one of those. Or else a softer style like Wing Chun. If you are only interested in hand techniques like it was mentioned - why not just get into boxing?

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Join a boxing club, then find a ju jitsu school. Boxing on mon, jj on tues, box on wed, ju jitsu on thurs, then cross train them together on fri, take the weekend off.

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
One of my biggest problems is that I use strenght instead of proper technique, its not a problem at the moment but as I get older it will be. What is going to happen is eventually strenght will begin to fade but if you learn the proper technique the technique will be there forever. A small man might not beat me today but in 20 years if the technique is muscle memory in him and not so much in me I might have to bet against myself.
No matter what you chose try not to rely on your strenght to get you through, it will only take you so far.

OP
J

jkdhit

rebeldragon951 said:
how about brazilian jujitsu?

OP
C

cory

no matter what you do it probaby won be perfectly suited to you. Look around and do something that interests you the most. You should take something that will give you a challenge. if your not flexible perhaps you could aim to become flexible. Just choose something that you wont get bored in. I used to be really unflexible and then ive studied taekwondo for 6 years and i can kick way above my head. its all about the challenge.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Try reading some of "marc" the animal books? This may guide you on what type of arts you may want to train in. It seems you want to be able to use what you will learn in the real world of real self-defense

Read any and all books related to Verbal Judo! Martial arts is about building confidence and awareness. Better to avoid and be alive the next day, than in jail or at the morgue. Ego's gets us into too many troubles. Just my thoughts.....Aloha

RichK

Green Belt
Reaction score
Look around in your area, do not rely on the Yellow Pages alone. Most schools work by word of mouth. Look at Aikido (for those who think they know it will tell you there are no hand strikes, they are just not prominatley displayed), Hapkido, Jujitsu (sounds like you want the stand up old style not the submission style), Kenpo (low kicks only a few above the waist).

Latest Discussions