I might visit Hombu Dojo in december, need information.

EKasis

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello, I am currently 3rd kyu and living in S. Korea as an exchange student.

In december between the 17 and 27 I might be able to travel to Japan and visit Hombu Dojo.

I'd love to be able to train there once or twice, however I don't know anything about the process.

Is it possible for foreigners to train there once? Do I need some pre-registration before going? Is there a cost? I've never been there or around the area, do I need to find some place to stay there for the night?

All the information you can provide is appreciated. Thanks.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Quite often when people go for the first time they travel with someone who can help to guide them. Do you have someone you can go with who has been there before? What about asking your teacher about his/her experience and or can they go with you?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In addition to what Brian has said, can you email or call them? Not sure about the language barrier (if there is one), but I'd assume contacting them beforehand would be far better than just showing up.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi marques this is in the Bujinkan section so I believe he wants to go to the Bujinkan Hombu Dojo and train with Hatsumi Sensei and the Japanese Shihan.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi marques this is in the Bujinkan section so I believe he wants to go to the Bujinkan Hombu Dojo and train with Hatsumi Sensei and the Japanese Shihan.
Thanks for the remark. I was wondering why we should know the Hombu dojo. And Googled it. Didn't notice it was the Ninjutsu section.
Well, there are two Hombu dojos in Japan, for our information. And pay attention to the forum section you are. ;)

PS: Should not be Honbu dojo for the Bujinkan dojo?

Last edited:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In regards to Honbu or Hombu I have seen both used in writing by native Japanese Sensei. I think it is a translation into our language that is the difference. However, my Japanese is just shall we say mediocre... ;) I leave these big questions to the professionals!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To answer a couple of the OP's questions. You should have a current Bujinkan membership and take your card with you. Each class you attend will cost whether it is with Hatsumi Sensei or one of the Japanese Shihan. You can certainly attend any class if you are a Bujinkan member. When I have trained in Japan I stayed in Tokyo and took the trains to Noda to train and then back in the evening. There are Bujinkan members in Tokyo and closer to Noda who offer apartments to rent that you could contact and see if they will have availability during that period. (I can give you details in a pm) December is usually a very busy time for Bujinkan training in Japan. Hatsumi Sensei has his birthday early in the month and there is a Daikomyosai and then people are around both before and after for training. This can make for crowded Dojo's.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks for the remark. I was wondering why we should know the Hombu dojo. And Googled it. Didn't notice it was the Ninjutsu section.
Well, there are two Hombu dojos in Japan, for our information. And pay attention to the forum section you are. ;)

PS: Should not be Honbu dojo for the Bujinkan dojo?
Hombu or Honbu means the head dojo of an organization. So the Kodokan is the Honbu/Hombu for judo. As such, I'm sure there are more than two Hombu dojos in Japan. A buddy of mine is at the Jinenkan Honbu right now.