I met the scariest contial artist today.

Galens

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
To give some background first:

I have been pretending* to box for about 1.5 years now. I've also recently taken TaeKwon-Do to help improve my stand up. I'm also very very interested in ground work, even though I'm like a ninja turtle that became shell shocked when I do ground work X.X

I put out fliers around my school, hoping I could find a serious training partner, or teacher, and hopefully someone with my schedule and for free(If a teacher) My struggles failed, and eventually I joined a free gym with maybe one-two fighters that rarely ever show up.

I walked into my school's bookstore to buy some Nestle Green Tea and some mints, I had my private school teacher and didn't want to blow dragons breath on her. I was talking to the gentleman behind the counter about the new Windows 7 (We're both nerds). Out of nowhere comes this man named Steve. And my awkward era (Era lasting 10 minutes, not 10,000 years ^.^)

Steve walks in and hops into the convo. He's a computer guy too apparently, and a fellow metal head. He was discussing about his talents, and I had replied that I didn't do much besides hobby in computers, study, train and sometimes fight. (Oh here's the part where I forgot to mention that he was wearing a military hat with the Korean flag on it. It was his grandfather's. I had asked if he had been there or knew the language in hopes I could get more study time or culture shock from someone else than my private teacher whom I was about to meet in the next 5 minutes. He did not know either.)

Steve begins to tell me about his great skills in Jujitsu and how he could teach me some moves. I'm interested already. Unfortunately, it all goes downhill from here. Steven...*pause for a moment.* (Lets call him Robby, because he has the hyperactivity of Robin Williams...No...lets just call him Steve or Steven...) So Steve decides to expand further upon his abilities and tells me about things called kill moves in Jujitsu. Although very fascinating, was really beginning to sound like someone paddling a ship through the desert with a coffee cup...bulls$#@.

Steven continues to talk about special ubertastical moves against every single finger and toe on the body..yes thats right...one specific move for each finger. I interrupt him and write down the details to where I train and invite him to train with me on two certain days. I also mentioned that I learn a lot with instruction and then real time demonstration. Captain Iceman...I mean Super Ste....I mean Steve decides to continue rambling on RIGHT after I finished. He didn't seem to grasp what I said, so I said it again. Steve decides that he instantly forgot his incredible destructo skills he learned and now claims he only knows basic things in Jujitsu.

Now I feel incredibly awkward and embarassed sitting there in the bookstore, ON VIDEO BTW, having master Steven, I mean..Steven perform these uber martial arts things around my body, and telling me all kinds of crazy stuff, including the one about how he used to keep his nails long so he could do tiger claw fighting and scratch his enemies to death. (Or just scratch their itch, I dunno. I hope neither) Oh, btw, this guy is in his 30's.

My private teacher shows up and here I am jumping up and down inside my mind. "안녕하세요?" She says. I reply. "안녕하세요? " I turn to Master Steven and tell him that my private teacher is here and that I need to go. I nearly wanted to grab her and give her a giant hug for inadvertently saving me from the doom machine called Steve. Steve walks out after I start mumbling goodbye to him "ymayahmmm"

Steve leaves and I am now stronger and wiser because of it.

I learned today:

Always carry a pocket knife.

If possible, carry a roll of duct-tape

If possible, inadvertently have your teacher save you from awkward and embarassing contial artists.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
((what's a "contial"?))

you run into people like that at time, willing to spew their views on self-defense based on their knowledge of technique from movies. when they visit your training group, they don't really last long.

just be skeptical. ask yourself certain things like...

"am i really going to claw my enemies into submission with my super-long fingernails?"

"am i really going to have the time to find the proper one-touch pressure point to destroy my opponent?"

"is this person mentally stable?"

i carry a pocket knife, too. for practical purposes more than for self-defense. i don't want to get arrested/talk to the police about stabbing someone, even for self-defense.

MacGyver always carried a collapsed roll of duct tape. you never know when you'll need it.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rude. End.
Sorry, dude, but you invented a word and didn't clue anyone in on what it meant.

You left us like Alice reading Jabberwocky; she had no clue what the words meant because the explanation wasn't there. If we're talking about a meal between breakfast and lunch, and I call it "brunch" -- you can figure out how I got there. But if there's no context, and you don't know the word -- you're lost. Complaining that someone didn't get your newly coined word (which wouldn't work in English pronunciation; it would most likely be read as "CON-TEEALL", not "CON-SHALL" as I presume you planned) is pretty petty...

OP
G

Galens

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, dude, but you invented a word and didn't clue anyone in on what it meant.

You left us like Alice reading Jabberwocky; she had no clue what the words meant because the explanation wasn't there. If we're talking about a meal between breakfast and lunch, and I call it "brunch" -- you can figure out how I got there. But if there's no context, and you don't know the word -- you're lost. Complaining that someone didn't get your newly coined word (which wouldn't work in English pronunciation; it would most likely be read as "CON-TEEALL", not "CON-SHALL" as I presume you planned) is pretty petty...

I did leave out the specific explanation, which is why I explained it in the next reply. His comment came after explaining it, and his comment was rude. I didn't complain about the misunderstanding, just his comment.

Your post addresses my comment towards his comment, and it sounds as if you condone rudeness as being justified if a misunderstanding is reached. I disagree with the context you put it into.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I think you're overreacting to his comment. In point of fact, I don't think it was particularly rude -- and I suspect that were you to be sitting face to face, and he said the same thing, you may not have found it so rude, either. Remember that textual communication often loses much of the nuance; depending on who you ask, more than 80% of communication is non-verbal, which means a lot gets lost in a words-only mode.

However, here on MT, if you ever feel a post is rude, there's a great tool which avoids you appearing rude. Use the RTM button...

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I did leave out the specific explanation, which is why I explained it in the next reply. His comment came after explaining it, and his comment was rude. I didn't complain about the misunderstanding, just his comment.

Your post addresses my comment towards his comment, and it sounds as if you condone rudeness as being justified if a misunderstanding is reached. I disagree with the context you put it into.

Explaining your made up word means nothing 2 posts after the initial post kid. As I said, wholly unintelligible and frankly sounds like a lame attempt at sounding cool. My comment was not rude, it was pointing out the absurdity of what you wrote. We have many intelligent people here who speak many languages (including 3 myself) but if it's not a word previously heard anywhere on this planet or cannot be found in any written form I would stay away from using it. Because effective communication involves people understanding what you are saying, especially when you are asking a question.

OP
G

Galens

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Okay. Thanks for the replies anyways.

This year's word, unfriend. Never heard of on the planet until facebook first implemented its use. Now its being placed in the Oxford dictionary.

They all started somewhere.

The word Transceiver. Receiver + Transmitter. The combination of two known words to create new ones isn't new, nor unusual.

The story about martial arts and a con artist. It isn't too far of a stretch when combining the words con and martial artist, nor is it cool. In the context, its an attempt at over the top satire with a story that attempts to humor the reader.

Again, thanks for the replies about the story. Sorry for misunderstandings or mis-interpretations. Thanks for understanding (Not a joke)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
First what is Elcor?

Second this will likely be rude and "unfriend", most certainly ungood to use newspeak and this is entirely upsub but then I am an oldthink kind of guy, I think you are a bit guilty of duckspeak but don’t be upset at my lack of bellyfeel but I’m just not into blackwhite nor am I good at doublethink.

But enough of this, I do hope you understand or I may be insulted

Oh and I may be back a bit later to discuss Ingsoc

I must go now, it is time for my chocorat but I will leave you with this from Mark Twain maybe it will help

A Plan for the Improvement of English Spelling
by Mark Twain
For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped to be replased either by "k" or "s", and likewise "x" would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2 might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with "i" and Iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all. Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with Iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and Iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai Iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c", "y" and "x" -- bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez -- tu riplais "ch", "sh", and "th" rispektivli. Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.

Oh and don't make up words and expect people to get it without explanation and when they don't get it, don't get upset. And using an example of a word that was accepted in to the language as a defense for a word you just made up does not really work. There are a ton of words in the English language that many do not know so, IMO, it would be better to actually study the language and use it instead of making up words and getting upset and calling someone rude who asks you to clarify

Here are a few English words many don't know and there are a lot more Fustigate, Defenestration, sesquipedalian, Casify, Ventose, xanthochroid.... there are a lot of them

Last edited:

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I should start posting in half words in some unholy mashup like a stupid radio dj does in an attempt to be cool. Let's all develop our own language so nobody understands nobody else ... then we won't need MT because it'll be all alphabet soup on here.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I should start posting in half words in some unholy mashup like a stupid radio dj does in an attempt to be cool. Let's all develop our own language so nobody understands nobody else ... then we won't need MT because it'll be all alphabet soup on here.

hazza buh mo fee coo wit me man :D

Latest Discussions