I.K.K.O. Sayings

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sir,

Would you give some examples for the Sayings please.
I know I have an easier time memorizing if I can get a grasp on the material.

Thanks~!
Tess

Blue Belt Sayings

1. Reaction can beat action if the target to be reached last is the first object to move out of the way.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:
Sir,

Thanks~!
Tess

Blue Belt Sayings

1. Reaction can beat action if the target to be reached last is the first object to move out of the way.

of all the sayings you have to pick one that really is hard to describe in words...... it is a great one.... but I really need to show you this one. (you will like it and the background info that goes with it) :ultracool

pick another.....

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
*grins* go figure..
ok how about this

9. An ounce of logic can be worth more than a ton of tradition that has become obsolete through the weathering of time.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:
*grins* go figure.. ok how about this

9. An ounce of logic can be worth more than a ton of tradition that has become obsolete through the weathering of time.

ok, this refers to the "logical" examination of something (basic, foot position, idea, form, activity or anything for that matter) in which we find that there is a better way of doing "whatever" verses continue with that which has been passed down traditionally. Logic takes precedence over tradition (which has become outdated or obsolete), usually because of increased effectiveness or usefulness in today's environment.

:asian:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:
2. To aid your action, feed it with your opponent's reaction.

Is this a quiz? lol

This saying is referencing the principle of "with". Go with your opponents action and allow yourself to "ride" his/her energy or force to your benefit. This is utilized more by the advanced student due to the timing involved but is a very beneficial saying in SD or Sparring.

auzziegreg59

White Belt
Reaction score
Mr C . A great site an some indifferent comments on mt .The gi tops look fine as do the way the IKKO patches personify pride an integrity on a smart looking uniform.Some extra sayings an quotes would be of interest to us down here.The last one we remember all too we was by Mr Parker in ,85. An it was '' Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6''.Ifind the co-ordination set to be relative an usefull.Students love it

R

Ronin

KenpoTess said:
Sir,

Thanks~!
Tess

Blue Belt Sayings

If I can remember correctly, as a kid I remember Mr. Parker explaining this saying at a seminar. He was with a student and asked the student to block his punch. Well Mr. Parker through a punch and the student blocked it but not before being caught on the face. He did it about three times and kept hitting the student in the face. Frustrated the student did'nt understand until Mr. Parker explained that "reaction can beat action if the target to be reached last (in this case the face) was the first object (or thing) moved out of the way. Now knowing that the face or the target of the opponent needed to be moved first, Mr. Parker through the punch and the student reacted correctly. Does that sound right Mr. C? I could be wrong but thats how I remember it.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ronin said:
If I can remember correctly, as a kid I remember Mr. Parker explaining this saying at a seminar. He was with a student and asked the student to block his punch. Well Mr. Parker through a punch and the student blocked it but not before being caught on the face. He did it about three times and kept hitting the student in the face. Frustrated the student did'nt understand until Mr. Parker explained that "reaction can beat action if the target to be reached last (in this case the face) was the first object (or thing) moved out of the way. Now knowing that the face or the target of the opponent needed to be moved first, Mr. Parker through the punch and the student reacted correctly. Does that sound right Mr. C? I could be wrong but thats how I remember it.

Nope ....... You are exactly correct.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OZman said:
Just wanted to say hello and to say, these topics are much more useful. :)

Well, we are just getting started... so I'm sure as time goes on... the topics will get a little more technical and interesting........ also completely pointed towards Kenpo as it should be for the students as they mature.

Personally I look forward to getting several of you Black Belts totally on top of the material and really ripping into the system at a true 3rd and 4th Black Level instead of playing catch up and constantly reviewing and educating you on why, where, how come, I was shown this, his instructor teaches that, and many other questions that pertain to the how's, and why's of Ed Parkers system today. Not that these explanations are not important....... they are! however, once that foundation is laid, we can concentrate more closely on "The System" and all its unique qualities to the inth.

I look forward to be able to share that information and be able to observe your students at work with it....... (Am I a dreamer...? maybe so but that's what I look forward to) So you guys ..... don't let ME down... :uhyeah:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
[font=&quot]YELLOW BELT Sayings[/font]
* Distance is your best friend.
*Whatever the attitude, so is the response.
*When blocking on the inside of an opponent's arm, do so below the
elbow, never above it.
*When blocking on the outside of an opponent's arm, do so at or above the
elbow, never below it.
*The ankle is the wrist of the foot.
*A knife‑edge kick is a chop with the foot.
*Deflection; then infliction of pain.

[font=&quot]ORANGE BELT Sayings[/font]
* Let time be your measurement to skill and experience.
* To hear is to doubt, to see is to be deceived, but to feel is to believe.
* In every offense there is a defense and in every defense is an offense.
* Forms and sets are expressions of basic skills.
* One becomes humble when he comes to the realization that what he knows is very little.
*Condition and guts take over where knowledge and skill end.
*When circular moves end, linear begin; when linear moves end, circular moves reoccur again.
*Many answers lie in a single move, but many moves do not necessarily give a single answer.
*There are no pure styles of karate. Purity comes only when pure knuckles meet pure flesh no matter who delivers or receives.
* He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position.

[font=&quot]PURPLE BELT Sayings[/font]
* To beat action, meet it.
* Fair play is when your opponent's definition of fair play is equally matched with yours.
* It is not the size of a man, but the size of fear that has been the cause of many a defeat.
* Slow to learn, slow to forget.
* Anger can often constipate your retaliatory efforts.
* While there is a difference between the terms "opposite" and "reverse", both provide answers to thoroughly understanding the effects of motion.
* Always strike from where the natural weapons are found during the time of an attack.
* Wasted inches are wasted time.
* Knowledge is bound when one is compelled to tradition. Knowledge is endless when tradition is bound.

[font=&quot]BLUE BELT Sayings[/font]
* Reaction can beat action if the target to be reached last is the first object to move out of the way.
* To aid your action, feed it with your opponent's reaction.
* A check, in most cases, is an application of, whereas a cover is used in anticipation of.
* Shuffles and crossovers are movements of adjustments.
* Flow first, power later.
* Guts are the anesthesia that deaden the pain of fear.
* The ultimate aim of Kenpo is to elongate circles and round off corners.
* Low kicks are excellent weapons to neutralize your opponent's aggression. Knock out his support, and you weaken his aggressive abilities and desires.
* An ounce of logic can be worth more than a ton of tradition that has become obsolete through the weathering of time.
* Refinement ‑‑ too much time and often too little progress.
* Never send an opponent's weapon into orbit to only have it re‑orbit back to you.
* Devote time with a particular move before deciding whether it does or does not work for you.

[font=&quot]GREEN BELT Sayings[/font]
* Action with effect keeps an opponent in check.
* Accuracy must accompany speed, for it takes both to secure victory.
* Although belt colors show, it is no proof that you know.
* To desire something does not mean to accomplish it. To perspire for it makes accomplishment a reality.
* The man who knows "how" will always be a student, but the man who knows "why" will continue to be the instructor.
* When a man's mind is occupied with his own injury, he is not apt to think of retaliation.
* Principles of motion take precedent over the sequence of motion.
* Whether it is a big ship or a little ship, the same size hole placed correctly in the hull can sink it.
* Sophistication is no more than simplicity compounded.
* Will‑power is the hammer that drives action.

[font=&quot]3rd BROWN BELT Sayings[/font]
* There are only a set number of basic moves ‑‑ all else are variations of the same.
* What is truth for one may not be truth for another. The real truth for both lies in the moment of actual combat.
* When you exaggerate a move you can build an offense into a defense. When you condense a move the reverse holds true.
* You must earn what you learn.
* Environment involves what is around you, on you, and in you at the time of confrontation.
* While practice locks in our knowledge of basics, instinct is what makes it free.
* Mastery of the Art comes when the tiger is seen, but the dragon prevails.
* A leg that kicks can be hurt just as easily as it can hurt.
* The Kenpo system is based on the outer limits of simplicity and the starting point of complexity.
* Principles are the roots of a technique. Unless you have a thorough understanding of them your boundaries of limitations will always be restricted.

[font=&quot]2nd BROWN BELT Sayings[/font]
* Strikes are intermissions of relaxation.
* The ears are the eyes of darkness.
* Transitions are the conjunctions that bridge techniques.
* Not until the brain shifts into gear with the body will the intangible become tangible.
* While the term approximately does not mean exactly, it can lead to exact findings applicable to you.
* Explosion from within is really implosion to without.
* Separating your direction can also mean separating your power.
* Never discard knowledge that is not applicable to you, but store it.

[font=&quot]1st BROWN BELT Sayings[/font]
* Deprivation breeds appreciation.
* Desperation often hinders inspiration.
* Don't look for answers beyond your realm of understanding for
more often than not, many answers are before you that have
been overlooked.
* Logic, as it applies to the times, is the key.
* Motion is the language of the body; properly executed, it can
be used to save your life.
* Glory disrupts, power corrupts.
* There are three types of motion: MOTION, EMOTION and
COMMOTION. All three can be effective, depending upon how
they are used.
* Style is what an individual eventually molds for himself.
* Categorize your moves as either: useful, unuseful, or useless.
* First control the use of the weapon, then take control of the
weapon.

[font=&quot]1st BLACK BELT Sayings[/font]
* A true martial artist is not one who fears change, but one who causes it to happen.
* As one gets older he learns to become a magician with motion; therein lies the secret of wisdom over youth.
* Creativity should be bound within the realm of true principles.
* There are no degrees of death, for it comes but once.
* Fear no man, but respect all.
* A true measure of humility is when you remain being what you are regardless of the success that you have become.
* Kenpo is for the man who has everything and wants to protect it.
* When one willingly and continuously boasts of his loyalty, anticipate toasting his departure.
* In motion, is motion that is often over looked.
* It is not important how long you have been IN the arts, but how long you have been AT it.

OZman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wow...I am still digesting this week-ends feast!!! And now all this meat too!.
Thanks for posting the info. Very much appreciated.