Why do we have the curriculum we do?

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The question of the many different curriculums in Kenpo, has came up several times in the past and will probably continue to come up in the future.

More specifically....... Why do we (IKKO) have the curriculum that we do?

By Curriculum I mean ..... the specific basics, pledges, sayings, Self Defense Techniques, Forms, Sets, Freestyle Techniques, Patch Descriptions, Coordination Exercises, Terminology, requirements to read Ed Parker & other quality Kenpo books, as well as to understand at a graduating levels, many of the principles, concepts, theories, visual aids, (universal pattern as one example), architecture of the system and how it all inter-relates to itself, unique traditions, maintain a high degree of respect and humility, as well as all other pertinent material contained within our Art.

I know, many say that ........ WOW, that is a ton of material to learn, or why do we have to do this or that, or the other. I agree with those that make those statements..... it is a lot to learn, however, I also am of the character, that if this is what is available and I am going to invest my valuable time and effort [and in many of our cases.... OUR LIVES] to this adventure... then why not do it right and completely and to the best of our abilities from the start.

I mean ..... Why is there always time to do it over, when there is never time to do it right"?
:)

I learned the material that I teach directly from several Fabulous instructors (which is actually rare) starting with Lonny Coots, then Gary Swan, then Steve LaBounty and culminating with the Founder himself ED PARKER, (and since his passing have reverted back to Steve LaBounty whom I am currently under today). In addition, have trained in seminars or workshops with most of the "who's who" of Kenpo Today (hard to mention a name in Kenpo that I don't know). A very strong and prestigious lineage and one to be proud to be a part of. This is MY KENPO FAMILY and this is how we do things! I don't know about you, but family to me is very special!!

Over the past 33 years, I have invested great amounts of time in this Great Art, traveling around the world and throughout the United States first competing in forms, sparring, teams, breaking, and self defense divisions, then assisting Mr. Parker (and my other instructors) with tournaments, demos, seminars, camps, workshops and other Kenpo related events which eventually led to the opportunity to be able to do all these events myself.

So you see..... I really CAN'T teach any other way. I have to answer to those who went before me, to myself and most importantly YOU my students.

I have a huge responsibility to pass on all that I can to those who are willing to learn under my guidance, which means: since I have had access to all this material.... that is the content of the curriculum which you all are learning. To only teach you portions (based on my personal likes and dislikes of certain material) would be doing Ed Parker, all my instructors and American Kenpo in general a great disservice.

When I am asked why others don't teach the sayings, or the freestyle techniques, or patch descriptions, terminology or why do I go into such depth on the "Star Block Exercises (variations), or why do all the mateial on the left and right sides, or why we follow the so called 16 Technique Version of the material vs. the 24 Technique Version..... or any number of other quesitons.....

I meerly say....

I don't know....... you will have to ask them. Maybe they never learned the material, or possibly they don't like some of the material and they choose to not teach certain aspects of our Art or they may even alter it to suit their own taste or personality, blend with another Art, for what ever reason (It is their right to do as they wish what what they have learned and choose to pass on)........ I don't know.

All I can tell you is why I teach the material that I do .... this is what I have been taught and that's what all my instructors expected me to pass on if I so choose, and I do choose to do so.

So now you know how I feel and why I teach what, why and how I do.

You are in luck. I am patient (to a degree LOL), all I ask is ... for you to follow the program design, invest equal to {if not more} hard work, practice, and study to what and how I teach, and I'm sure you will not be disappointed at the quantity, quality and results which you will achieve physically, mentally and spiritually (as many of my long time upper ranks will testify to). Of course, those that choose to teach others, either privately or in official IKKO studios, MUST maintain the high degree of excelllence that is required by the IKKO and follow the outlined rules and regulations (they are there for a purpose like everything else). Those that try to undermine these values or do not follow them, will have to be "pruned from the plant".

Study Hard, Often, and Intelligently. Pay attention to the Keys that are taught..... Don't major in minor things.

This is what I want... and those that have the same vision and goals, are the type of students and instructors I want to attract to build an Organization that truly has a brotherhood and fraternity (family togetherness), that we can all be proud to be associated with. I also look forward to developing an expanding "IKKO Council of Elders" in the near future. So set your sights high.

I hope this sheds a little light on this topic as well as creates some good questions!

I welcome your comments and questions......

:asian:

auzziegreg59

White Belt
Reaction score
A mission statement of the heart.IKKO Australia supports this 100% Mr C. regards Greg

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
I recently had some one question me about the 16 versus the 24. They tried to tell me they do more in the 24. I explained to them that since we do everything both sided, we actually have twice the material they do.

Think about it....

OZman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Mr. C. explained it really well to me once that in reality we do the same amount of material in the 16 as they do in the 24. It is just spread out more and that makes for a more smooth learning curve for the student.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Good to see you agian Sean! I talked to him last night about the same issue. I still say we actually do more and are better rounded (that pun applies to some of us, including me :) )for it.

OZman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You may well be right, but I guess none of that really matters the way Mr. C. teaches the material. I believe that even if we were to learn ALL the required material Mr. C. could and probably would re-arrange some of the basics and expand on the basic sets and techniques to make more drills and "options" for us..lol

OZman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes, but that is one of the really interesting things about studying under an Instructor with such a deep base in Kenpo. Lots and lots and lots and lots of stuff to learn...lol. Besides he's so.....well I was gonna say sweet, but naah; it just doesn't seem to fit. Besides I don't want to get beat to wet spot on the floor. :)

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
More specifically....... Why do we (IKKO) have the curriculum that we do?
I look at is as a complete kenpo system. Those who settle for less, blindly follow, mediocre will continue their paths of ho hum I'm just going to get by. It's more of a challenge to learn, refine, teach, and understand this curriculum more than others. Some leave things out for whatever reason and some add to the curriculum to fill gaps that are left open. I look foward to my journey of learning and understanding kenpo better. :asian:

Latest Discussions