I have to reprimend a student

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
We have a rule at our school that if you are more than 10 min late you can't take class.
It's funny you mention this because today we got a lecture about quiting and not doing the entire workout, which I've been known to do; give up/not finish crunches, jumpropes or inchworms just because I can't breathe (overweight) and am 2-3x older than most of the students who just rush through the warmups. But today I finished everything! even though I was the last one finished and they were all looking at me waiting for me to finish. I felt really good! I think you did the right thing.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a rule at our school that if you are more than 10 min late you can't take class.
It's funny you mention this because today we got a lecture about quiting and not doing the entire workout, which I've been known to do; give up/not finish crunches, jumpropes or inchworms just because I can't breathe (overweight) and am 2-3x older than most of the students who just rush through the warmups. But today I finished everything! even though I was the last one finished and they were all looking at me waiting for me to finish. I felt really good! I think you did the right thing.
Do you do as much as you can? Is it a little more each week? If so -- you're fine. I don't personally expect every student to be equally physically capable, but I do expect them to do their best and to push themselves.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you do as much as you can? Is it a little more each week? If so -- you're fine. I don't personally expect every student to be equally physically capable, but I do expect them to do their best and to push themselves.

QFT

I have some students who are more physically fit than others and there are two or three students who specifically were *very* difficult to get moving through the exercise/warmup portion. One little boy I had to chase the whole way until he finished. It was a chore and made other students jealous, but it had to be done. He was very young - just eight (and a young eight at that) and he would be happy to just sit out class until game time, then try to come back into the class. I denied him. Over time, he now at least keeps up and is not consistently the last one lagging behind holding everyone else up. It has been a LONG road.

That said - he was huffing and puffing. I pushed him to do as much as he could - not always as much as everyone else, but to do the exercises correctly and consistently and to make a sincere effort. I don't punish sincere effort if it's not the same in quantity or agility as the sportos ... but if a student is just lazy, they sit out. I usually pick those days to have extra long games at the end of class. ;)