I got on the internet...

OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So, a couple points.

First, you're not learning how to communicate with people, people are having to go out of their way to read/communicate with you.

Second, there doesn't have to be any testing procedures. The people on here that I agree with one day may be the people I disagree with the next. I certainly don't put anyone though testing procedures, and most people that I know on here don't.

Third, someone could very well be on the same path as you but not be a native english speaker (there are a couple of them on this forum, and some I think actually legitimately would be on "the same path" as you). By writing in parables, you're once again limiting yourself and the conversations you can have.

Fourth, it's better to talk to people who aren't on the same path as you, or people who have other 'truths'. It allows you to learn about different paths.

Finally, it doesn't really matter if you're on a quest for personal truth. You're on a public forum, so I would assume decency would compel you to write in a way the public understands. If you only want people who talk how you talk and agree with you, you're more than welcome to create your own private forum to do that.

I started off only intending to write one or two points, and ended up with 5. And I'm fairly certain none of them will get through to you,

Your first point needs no clarification. It simply needs to be held up to a mirror. Some people are doing the same thing to me as I'm doing to them. Rather than trying to learn how to communicate with me, I am having to go out of my way to communicate with them. My response to that is a mirror.

Your second point isn't even a true statement. Testing procedures are very necessary. Why else would you be testing me? Why else would I be testing you? And also, do you honestly think we're both not being silently observed and tested by others right now? Martial arts is nothing more than a series of testing procedures. Everything you do, everything you say is being constantly questioned and tested by everyone else. This is especially true on the internet.

Your third point misses the point I was trying to make before. If I speak English but I say something in Chinese, for instance, it does not matter what language I'm speaking as it will translate the same in any language. But if you do not understand our definition of a "hook kick" as opposed to their understanding of a "hook kick," then you are not one of the minority (us), you are one of the majority (them) and I can thus start to learn how we can communicate better using your perspective. That and we are intentionally limiting the conversations we will have, as opposed to can have. I hope that makes sense.

Your fourth point is valid and true, but misses the mark again. What is true for you may not be true for me. So although I agree that it is good to be open-minded and respect all paths, this doesn't mean you should wander away from your own path. At least that's how I look at it.

Your final point actually just compliments the point I was trying to make earlier. We're on a public forum. Enough said.

Although many other martial artists tend to criticize our 'fortune cookie' speak, you may notice some who actually ponder the parables and look for meaning in them. Whatever they find is the reward they get for their efforts. Most martial artists I think would agree that it's not beneficial to teach martial arts to someone who has no common sense or logic. You certainly wouldn't want to reveal a dangerous technique to someone who is too aggressive or isn't ready to learn it yet. There are many reasons I use parables and 'fortune cookie' speak, especially when talking on a public forum. Does that make sense? That's why some of us speak that way. Not saying your way is wrong. :)

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your first point needs no clarification. It simply needs to be held up to a mirror. Some people are doing the same thing to me as I'm doing to them. Rather than trying to learn how to communicate with me, I am having to go out of my way to communicate with them. My response to that is a mirror.

Most people you don't have to do much to understand. There are a few on here who do, but english is not their native language. From your history, I'm willing to bet it is yours, so you wouldn't get the same leeway.

Your second point isn't even a true statement. Testing procedures are very necessary. Why else would you be testing me? Why else would I be testing you? And also, do you honestly think we're both not being silently observed and tested by others right now? Martial arts is nothing more than a series of testing procedures. Everything you do, everything you say is being constantly questioned and tested by everyone else. This is especially true on the internet.

I'm not testing you, I'm frustrating you. I don't care who is testing me, and I have no desire to test others. They will show me what they want to show me, and I will respond from that.

Your third point misses the point I was trying to make before. If I speak English but I say something in Chinese, for instance, it does not matter what language I'm speaking as it will translate the same in any language. But if you do not understand our definition of a "hook kick" as opposed to their understanding of a "hook kick," then you are not one of the minority (us), you are one of the majority (them) and I can thus start to learn how we can communicate better using your perspective. That and we are intentionally limiting the conversations we will have, as opposed to can have. I hope that makes sense.

I'm not referring to the terms, but to the mysticism and parables. There is a lot that does not translate well. For instance, if you used the phrase "it's raining cat's and dogs", it would make no sense to someone with english as a second language. Similarly, if I were to say estoy hecho un aji, I would mean that I'm angry, but if you were to translate it, it will come up as "to be made of chili."

Your fourth point is valid and true, but misses the mark again. What is true for you may not be true for me. So although I agree that it is good to be open-minded and respect all paths, this doesn't mean you should wander away from your own path. At least that's how I look at it.

You can know someone else's truth and not lose focus on your own path. I'm christian, and I took a couple courses on islam while I was in college. I learned about someone elses path, but I'm still just as christian as I was. If that changed, it would mean I found a better path, then that I was wandering away.

Your final point actually just compliments the point I was trying to make earlier. We're on a public forum. Enough said.

So being on a public forum makes it cool to act like a pretentious d**k? Although I'm betting you don't realize you sound like that.

Luckily, on this forum people like you tend to disappear after a while, or tone down. You'll eventually realize it's not worth having this argument over and over again, since you're creating roadblocks from actually discussing martial arts. Good luck with everything.

OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So being on a public forum makes it cool to act like a pretentious d**k? Although I'm betting you don't realize you sound like that.

Luckily, on this forum people like you tend to disappear after a while, or tone down. You'll eventually realize it's not worth having this argument over and over again, since you're creating roadblocks from actually discussing martial arts. Good luck with everything.

False statements and accusations as far as I'm concerned. I would say wayyyy more people on this forum create their own roadblocks and venture off the beaten path far more often than I do (especially in my threads). 90% of my posts are in direct relation to martial arts- as opposed to the majority here who engage in general conversation, sarcasm and other topics (like golfing, racing, working or parenting for example). So that's a false statement, sir.

But it wouldn't be the first time someone intentionally frustrated me in an attempt to make me disappear (your words reveal too much). But just to prove that I'm not a pretentious such-n-such like you said, I'm not even going to alert the mods. Besides, some people here are being a lot more pretentious than I am (if you can even say I'm being pretentious at all). I'm not as bad as people try to make me out to be. Nobody is forcing you to read my posts or join my threads. If you don't like how I sound, you don't even have to reply. You can just move around. I'm not trying to seem super cool, or rude, so I apologize to anyone who gets butt hurt by what I say. It's not like I'm intentionally going out of my way to point people out and call them names (lol). Seriously, it's just not worth it to me. Not trying to sound like a d**k. Honestly I'm not. But to be even more honest, I don't think everyone has the same opinion of me as you do. Maybe it's just the internet. In person, who knows? We might become best friends. I've seen it happen before.

Anyways... Are you guys done?

Oaktree?

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
False statements and accusations as far as I'm concerned. I would say wayyyy more people on this forum create their own roadblocks and venture off the beaten path far more often than I do (especially in my threads). 90% of my posts are in direct relation to martial arts- as opposed to the majority here who engage in general conversation, sarcasm and other topics (like golfing, racing, working or parenting for example). So that's a false statement, sir.

Having a conversation that derails because we want to talk about a topic is one thing. Having a conversation that you're trying to make about martial arts, but half the people can't understand it/making statements to derail it is something else entirely.

But it wouldn't be the first time someone intentionally frustrated me in an attempt to make me disappear (your words reveal too much). But just to prove that I'm not a pretentious such-n-such like you said, I'm not even going to alert the mods. Besides, some people here are being a lot more pretentious than I am (if you can even say I'm being pretentious at all).

You read too far into things, if you think I'm trying to make you disappear. I just am fairly confident that you will. You're more than welcome to alert the mods, I would be willing to bet at least one of them is reading these posts, and if they ever asked me to stop posting something I would. But you're in some pretty serious denial if you don't think you sound pretentious.

Oaktree?

That is one example of you intentionally derailing and coming off that way. You're intentionally trying to get someone you know doesn't like you to reply to you.

'm not as bad as people try to make me out to be. Nobody is forcing you to read my posts or join my threads. If you don't like how I sound, you don't even have to reply. You can just move around. I'm not trying to seem super cool, or rude, so I apologize to anyone who gets butt hurt by what I say. It's not like I'm intentionally going out of my way to point people out and call them names (lol). Seriously, it's just not worth it to me. Not trying to sound like a d**k. Honestly I'm not. But to be even more honest, I don't think everyone has the same opinion of me as you do. Maybe it's just the internet. In person, who knows? We might become best friends. I've seen it happen before.

Fair enough, I'll use the handy little ignore feature now.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Man who spanks monkey looses sight but man who keeps monkey(monkey mind) locked up gains insight.

Sucks I have to explain the joke for clarification

OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Having a conversation that derails because we want to talk about a topic is one thing. Having a conversation that you're trying to make about martial arts, but half the people can't understand it/making statements to derail it is something else entirely.

That is one example of you intentionally derailing and coming off that way. You're intentionally trying to get someone you know doesn't like you to reply to you.

Fair enough, I'll use the handy little ignore feature now.

Think about what you're saying here. "... derails [from the OP topic] because we [certain people] want to talk about a [different] topic..." is what you just implied indirectly. Why can't you start your own thread for that? Why interupt the flow of the original topic? Especially if it's in reference to "Having a conversation that you're trying to make about martial arts..." (your claims, not mine btw, so don't try to 'backpeddle'). I noticed very well that half of the people can't understand it. But did you notice the ones who can? And anyways... Are you done?

Man who spanks monkey looses sight but man who keeps monkey(monkey mind) locked up gains insight.

Sucks I have to explain the joke for clarification.

Are you done?

Last edited:

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This...my native language is Wookie but my English is improving;)
My English is doing much better after finally getting treatment for Phonological Disorder, known as Rhotic Replacement, (aka Scooby Do Syndrome).
With a good speech therapist and rots of ruck, I have improved considerably.
Ruh roh, I did it again. Oh well. ;)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
holdup.jpg

1eb3b4cb444ffb0a1e760137a4625209d7795354c5e0424ca08bbe6a10546ca8.jpg

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

But it wouldn't be the first time someone intentionally frustrated me in an attempt to make me disappear (your words reveal too much). But just to prove that I'm not a pretentious such-n-such like you said, I'm not even going to alert the mods. Besides, some people here are being a lot more pretentious than I am (if you can even say I'm being pretentious at all). I'm not as bad as people try to make me out to be. Nobody is forcing you to read my posts or join my threads. If you don't like how I sound, you don't even have to reply. You can just move around. I'm not trying to seem super cool, or rude, so I apologize to anyone who gets butt hurt by what I say. It's not like I'm intentionally going out of my way to point people out and call them names (lol). Seriously, it's just not worth it to me. Not trying to sound like a d**k. Honestly I'm not. But to be even more honest, I don't think everyone has the same opinion of me as you do. Maybe it's just the internet. In person, who knows? We might become best friends. I've seen it happen before.

Oaktree?
No offence but sometimes you kind of seem like you're looking for an argument on here. Threads go in different directions at times that's how it goes does it matter. I mean your post there's not much to discuss apart from how you mediate before coming online

OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No offence but sometimes you kind of seem like you're looking for an argument on here. Threads go in different directions at times that's how it goes does it matter. I mean your post there's not much to discuss apart from how you mediate before coming online

You're right, I do tend to entertain people who just want to argue for argument's sake. I must admit, sometimes I do it on purpose. Like this thread for example. I intentionally created this thread in a moment of humour, knowing that a select group (not everyone, but a few) would not be able to resist an onslaught on the OP (myself). I'm not really going out of my way to look for arguments. This thread is proof enough that others actually are going out of their way to argue with me (lol). Hence the entire meaning of the thread section War Stories, the thread title "I got on the internet..." and the whole entire meaning of my original post (lol). All of this was done knowingly ahead of time.

Like the Trump vs Clinton debate, it's all politics. A big joke if you ask me. One side initiates an argument. The other side responds. The best part is when one team starts losing the debate. That's when they start doing crazy things, going to desperate measures to win. They will insult, lie, cheat, steal and even use propaganda to stop their opponents from winning the debate (lol). Let the record show that I never once initiated an argument on this forum (I humorously just respond to them). I never insulted anyone on this forum (despite being insulted by a few others myself). I never once lied about anything on this forum (despite being lied to or about). All I ever did was entertain the debate (lol). It was all done knowingly ahead of time. Certain people here don't want me to be here, so they are going to extreme measures to make me go away. But it's not working.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
general conversation, sarcasm and other topics (like golfing, racing, working or parenting for example

This is because we are long standing friends and it's also a way of understanding other people, it's called communication. We learn about each other, we grow.

I know you think you are stood on a high moral pedestal ( probably just the loo one though) here but we've seen it all before and despite that we do welcome people here. No one is actually that bothered at the moment whether you stay or go, that you think people are trying to make you go says more about you than anything else. If people wanted you gone, you would be banned. However, that's not how it works.

I'm not sure what you want out of being here, it's a good way to make friends, to learn, to converse to teach even but what it shouldn't be is a battlefield. that it is sometimes is because people bring their own agenda on here, like luring others onto a quasi martial arts forum, and then bombarding them with religious hatred ( yes, I had that done to me, it was deeply unpleasant) or because they have revelations about martial arts that mean like the religious zealot on here they want to convert everyone to their way of thinking. When you don't want to it turns nasty as it potentially will on this thread. The reason kempodisciple says you will leave is because you aren't the first to come across as you do, you're not the first to even say what you are saying, and yes, these people leave. They go off into the sunset feeling like righteous martyrs for their cause, having had their superiority confirmed by the fact that all of us 'experts' are so scared and awed by you we plotted to get rid of you.

It does appear that you think we are thick, you don't have to explain to us who the OP is for example. You don't have to write in such a patronising manner, many of us have been training martial arts for decades and are old enough to be your parent. I'm sure sitting at the keyboard what you write sounds high minded as you type but in really it's pretentious. I'm sure you have plenty to contribute to discussions, I'm sure you can add your tuppenceworth to conversations but at the moment you seem to take a delight in trying to get up people's noses by your holier than thou attitude. I think the thing you should remember is that you came to join us, and if we aren't to your taste, then leave. If you think you could like it here then take the time to get to know us, add off topic comments so we can get to know you as well, it's how relationships are made. What we don't do here, as in all good relationships, is play games with people. It's not a worthy pastime for an decent human being to wind people up, to belittle the, and then sit back and watch the 'fun'. Say what you mean and mean what you say. Don't fanny around being 'mystical', it doesn't come across as mystical it comes across as adolescent naval gazing. Just write plain English ( even if it's American English :D) yes jokes are allowed as well as interesting off topic comments ( they humanise us to each other rather than just being usernames we become people to each other so stop sneering at the comments), take the time to get to actually know people here and step off your crusader horse, you'll be surprised how much you can learn and how much fun you can have here.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're right, I do tend to entertain people who just want to argue for argument's sake. I must admit, sometimes I do it on purpose. Like this thread for example. I intentionally created this thread in a moment of humour, knowing that a select group (not everyone, but a few) would not be able to resist an onslaught on the OP (myself). I'm not really going out of my way to look for arguments. This thread is proof enough that others actually are going out of their way to argue with me (lol). Hence the entire meaning of the thread section War Stories, the thread title "I got on the internet..." and the whole entire meaning of my original post (lol). All of this was done knowingly ahead of time.

Like the Trump vs Clinton debate, it's all politics. A big joke if you ask me. One side initiates an argument. The other side responds. The best part is when one team starts losing the debate. That's when they start doing crazy things, going to desperate measures to win. They will insult, lie, cheat, steal and even use propaganda to stop their opponents from winning the debate (lol). Let the record show that I never once initiated an argument on this forum (I humorously just respond to them). I never insulted anyone on this forum (despite being insulted by a few others myself). I never once lied about anything on this forum (despite being lied to or about). All I ever did was entertain the debate (lol). It was all done knowingly ahead of time. Certain people here don't want me to be here, so they are going to extreme measures to make me go away. But it's not working.
You know that's called being a troll right? Posting something to cause an argument knowing people will react.

You're going to get criticism here the first thing you posted was about this brand new style you created yourself and went to the trouble of making a syllabus and a name for it yet have No desire to teach quite honestly a lot of your posts do sound a bit...suspicious to say the least if I'm honest with you. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and you do what you do but well that's my opinion and don't be surprised if its others.

OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Google's definition of trolling:
  1. informal
    make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.

2. fish by trailing a baited line along behind a boat.
The first definition can be applied, not to me, but to others on this forum. Not once ever have I been deliberately offensive. Although sometimes it seems like my mere existence is offensive to some people (lol), it's not like I'm being provocative, meaning I do not deliberately go out of my way to annoy and offend people. However, there are indeed members on this forum who have gone deliberately out of their way to annoy and offend me. The only thing I did differently is rather than ignoring those people, I decided to entertain their fancy by engaging in the debates. They were trolling me. I wasn't trolling them. The logs will show that to be honest and true.

Hence the second definition which can be applied directly to me in this case, I guess. It's hard to sort through every fish to find a good catch. Sometimes you have to use different bait to attract all the big fish to one area so that the small fish doesn't get scared away. There I go using parables and 'fortune cookie' speak again. But you know what I mean. It's actually very common in some martial arts to use "mirroring the opponent " as a form of self-defense. That's really all I'm doing, a very basic mirroring strategy.

Back to discussing myself as an individual, however, let me see. First let me apologize again for any misunderstandings. Do I sound disrespectful? If so, I apologize. I mean no disrespect to anyone. I promise I am not deliberately being rude or offensive. I respect everyone here, even those who disrespect me. I never mean to hurt anyone's feelings. So please accept this sincere apology from someone who also has feelings.

Do I sound cocky or boastful, high and mighty? I really don't see how. But if that's some people's perception of me then again I must apologize. I know I am not the greatest. In fact, I'm not even that great. I am good, very good. But I'm not great. I'm not a master of martial art. I don't know all there is to know about martial art. I do not claim to be a master or know-it-all, nor do I go around picking fights or looking for trouble. I'm sure the logs will show that to be honest and true.

I'm not lying. So again I am deeply sorry to anyone who has this perception of me being some kind of cocky, arrogant, pretentious know-it-all or some other vulgar term. They have me entirely mistaken. I am a martial artist in training. I only speak of what I know, and if I do not know, I do not speak. Or else I will tell you I do not know. I have just as many questions as I have comments. I jump from forum to forum because I'm versatile and have training in many styles, so I have a lot of experience to share, and a lot of questions to ask. Some people asked me about my background (because at first I did not speak of it), and all I did was answer truthfully. The people I've trained with do not reflect me as a martial artist. It does not make me a better martial artist than anyone else here. Please don't get me mistaken, because that is not my intention. We are all the same here. We are all brothers and sisters, students and teachers. I can't speak for other members of this forum, but at least you have my perception.

I really hope that by making this post, it will help to clear some things up. On the internet, perspectives are everything. If I thought it would do any good I would get down on my knees and ask the opposition for forgiveness. But I am not in the habit of bowing to people who are insensitive. An older, very high-level master tried to bully me around and it didn't work. I stood up for myself and broke every rule in their tradition, not deliberately, but by my very nature. Now I seem cocky, rude, arrogant, what have you. But that was never my intention. I have nothing but the upmost greatest respect for my elders, and for other martial artists. So again I apologize for any misunderstanding.

Please forgive me. Please take all of this as being completely true and honest. Everyone has different reasons for practicing martial art. Some are interested in competing with others. I however am not. As a youngster growing up, I had a lot of anger and aggression. I was always getting into fist fights. I was young, stubborn and stupid. Here I am, many, many years later and I am still learning. I am still young, stubborn and stupid. Martial art is a personal journey for me. I am getting better at controlling my temper. I am getting better in a lot of different ways. But I am far from perfect. Not yet, I still have much to learn. My reason for practicing martial art is not to defeat other people, but to defeat my own inner-demons and emotions. The very act of being on this forum is like spiritual training for me. One of the reasons I became a security enforcement officer is because I jumped over a major fence in my life. I grew up in the ghetto. I was in the gang scene for a while. I even used drugs like marijuana and cocaine for a time period as a youngster. Street fights were just normal to me. I wasn't one of those rich prissy kids who would run home to mommy and daddy. I didn't have those kind of parents as a child. I grew up fighting. I mean no-holds-barred, no divisions or weight class, no rules or referees, straight hardcore street fighting in its purest sense. So if you think I'm cocky now, you should've saw me 15 years ago when I was a teenager (lol). Over the years, however, I have matured with the help of martial arts training. Who I am today is a direct result of that influence on my life. I became a S.E.O. because I wanted to use my skills for good reasons instead of bad reasons. At least in this way, I am being a productive member of society and not looking for trouble. It actually feels good to protect innocent people from criminals and ruffians. But I digress. Again I apologize for any misunderstandings. Please forgive me. :)

Last edited:

Latest Discussions