I find it is common for people to say "karate is not meant for fighting."

Darrencowan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wow you guys are really kind.

Martial Arts is often seen as a cure for weaklings, victims, people with no self-esteem, and other personal development issues. Training martial arts as it was originally meant is tough, so if a person shows up for class on week one, week2, month 1, month 2. etc. Then they aren't as weak and helpless as they think they are. I've see people who don't have self-esteem because it shows up during class and then they wash out, because they think they can't do something.

Martial arts can't bring out what isn't already there.

I think weakling is a relative term used to describe someone's physical appearance, someone's disability. Yes, karate does help you build yourself up. I know it did me, and still does. But for people to say "weakling" about a disabled person truly doesn't understand the power and incredible fortitude of the mind. You want to know the most dangerous muscle in the body--the mind. Sharpen that tool and you'll win any fight.

Darrencowan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Karate is about self defense, not fighting. I believe there is a difference. If you are fighting, you are looking to inflict pain. If I can defend myself without inflicting pain, that would be preferable. If I can defend myself by using a lockflow technique and restraining someone until police arrive, I would prefer that to breaking the opponent's arms, if possible, if my goal is self defense. If I am in a real fight, I would try to break his arm. I may have to break his arm just to defend myself, but I would avoid it if possible.

Lockflow, are you referring to wrist locks?

Tortoise

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Joint locks, not all wrist locks. Here is a video of the type of thing I was referring to.

Latest Discussions