I didn't know how big they were....

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Received these in an email. Not sure exactly how accurate they are but knowing that Wal-mart is EVERYWHERE it certainly is mind blowing:

HOW BIG IS WAL-MART?

I was blown away by these mind-boggling statistics on Wal-Mart!

1. At Wal-Mart, Americans spend $36,000,000 every hour of every day.

2. This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!

3. Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to St. Patrick's Day (March 17th) than Target sells all year.

4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target + Sears + Costco + K-Mart combined.

5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest private employer.

6. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the World.

7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger & Safeway combined, and keep in mind they did this in only 15 years.

8. During this same period, 31 Supermarket chains sought bankruptcy (including Winn-Dixie).

9. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.

10. Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the USA of which 1,906 are SuperCenters; this is 1,000 more than it had 5 years ago.

11. This year, 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur at a Wal-Mart store. (Earth's population is approximately 6.5 billion).

12. 90% of Americans live within 15 miles of a Wal-Mart.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And I haven't spent a penny at Wal-Mart in 5 years.
And I cancelled my Sam's Club Membership 3 years ago.

Wal-Mart is evil.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Man can I get a piece of the dream.
icon10.gif

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From personal experience: 90% of the people in any given Wal-Mart at 2 am on a Saturday suffer from some type of mental affliction, and are adverse to bathing.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I refuse to shop at Walmart. They don't price items and you can never find anyone who works there to help you. If you ask them where something is they always say, "If we have any, it's over there" and gesture toward the rear half of the building. I think they are a valuable asset to those with a limited budget, but I'd rather spend a little more to not waste my time.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I refuse to shop at Walmart. They don't price items and you can never find anyone who works there to help you. If you ask them where something is they always say, "If we have any, it's over there" and gesture toward the rear half of the building. I think they are a valuable asset to those with a limited budget, but I'd rather spend a little more to not waste my time.

Service at Costco is vastly better than at WM. I have yet to encounter an employee there who was anything but extremely helpful&#8212;you get the impression that they actually like dealing with the store's customers. I find Costco a good deal... cleaner than Walmart, in addition. The Walmart stores that I've been in seem to have a kind of generalized grimy quality about them...

PS: note to Lisa: ... not growl-chew marx????

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And I haven't spent a penny at Wal-Mart in 5 years.
And I cancelled my Sam's Club Membership 3 years ago.

Wal-Mart is evil.

I don't shop at Wal-Mart. Main reason is the hassle. Not worth the savings to me. But I was wondering why you think Wal-Mart is evil?

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to give them credit for this, which sounds like it's working out well. Just don't like the personal experience of shopping there.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My father-in-law (MT member Shiho) and I were discussing over their last visit how Walmart is always a good place to go to find the freaks...when we failed to find any that saturday night it occurred to us that WE may be the freaks...

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Looks like WalMart is the people's choice. I haven't been to a WalMart in years. Maybe it's because I don't usually care for people's choice winners.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
From personal experience: 90% of the people in any given Wal-Mart at 2 am on a Saturday suffer from some type of mental affliction, and are adverse to bathing.
look I cant help it if Im a slow learner and have a very large phobia of soap

:D

B

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
WM may be the devil, but I read in the Economist that basically stated that this corporation was the only thing that was keeping the American middle class intact. That's depressing on sooooooo many levels.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We only shop there when we have to... its rarely quick or easy... Costco is much much better. But if i am not up for a Costco run ill hit the local super target while they may be more spendy they are less icky.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We only shop there when we have to... its rarely quick or easy... Costco is much much better. But if i am not up for a Costco run ill hit the local super target while they may be more spendy they are less icky.

Icky is exactly the right word for WM. The times I've shopped in one—not many!—I've always come away vaguely depressed and feeling as though I needed to take another shower.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I enter Wal-mart only rarely and under protest; the only time I have done so voluntarily was to buy puzzle mats for my basement. I much prefer Target, as every Wal-mart I've ever been in - even the brand-new ones - look dirty, kind of like K-mart.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank god we dont get Wall mart over here.......we do get the evil that is tesco though :p

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
We only shop there when we have to...​

I'm in the same boat. Even though I hate everything that Wallmart stands for, my wife and I are simply on too tight a budget to shop elseware for certain items. Shoes for my rapidly growing 5 year old, for example.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But I was wondering why you think Wal-Mart is evil?

There are so many reasons. I recommend the polemic ~ Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price ~. You should be able to find it at your public library.

www.walmartmovie.com

Henry Ford realized a century ago, that he needed to pay his assembly line laborers enough so that they could purchase the product being produced. Wal-Mart has abandoned that basic idea, in favor of corporate cannabalism.

Wal-Mart comes to a community, and drive out of business the local mom-and-pop shops. Wal-Mart employement does not provide the Wal-Mart laborer enough compensation to do business with the employer.

It is like a virus that destroys all the good cells in an organism, that must turn upon itself for sustinance.

The premise of Wal-Mart is unsustainable in a closed community.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was almost afraid to open this, seeing it was in "The Locker Room" ... thought someone left a cup around or something ....

Anywayz...

I avoid WM as much as humanly possible - I only go there under duress. At each of the check-outs in the one nearest me a sign is hung that reads something like, "Did you know this Walmart contributed $65,000 to this community last year?" I asked the clerk, "Was that in gross wages or net wages and for all employees or hourly?" He gave me a knowing wink and said, "According to my paycheck, gross, hourly."

The way I see it, if I meander into a store wearing jammie pants, slippers, a zip-hoodie, coffee in my hand, sleep in my eyes sans makeup or combed hair ... and I *STILL* look better than the people who work there ... there's something wrong with that company.

Latest Discussions