And then, 1 day, she quietly died. And

everything U never did came crashing

down like thunder on UR HEART.

I cried

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touching. :) That is very good. One thing though, the Ur and U needs a spell check.
I agree; the U and Ur made it very hard to read, and detracted from the meaning.

While I agree that children should take care of their parents, and pay attention to their feelings, I don't think that their lives should revolve around them. I moved 1300 miles away from my parents for college - and started getting along with my mother much better. If I had stayed in the same city, we'd have driven each other nuts and wouldn't talk to each other now - it had nearly reached that point when I left for college.

After my uncle finished college, he was offered a job in Detroit - and his parents lived in Nashville. He has lived in Detroit for over 30 years, while his parent (my materal grandparents) lived in Nashville. When my grandfather needed to be moved out of his house because he could no longer live alone (my grandmother had been dead for nearly 10 years at that point) my uncle moved Grampa into a retirement community near my uncle's house; he is now in a nursing home 3 miles from my uncle. I see nothing wrong with this. It is not abandonment and lack of caring to grow up and away from your parents - on the contrary, it is their responsibility to give you the skills to live apart, and it is your responsibility as an adult to be able to live apart from them.

Extended family in the area is great - but that is no longer the way many people live; nor, do I think, should children lead their lives for the convenience of their parents. They should care for their parents in their old age, as their parents cared for them in their youth - but that doesn't mean bypassing their life goals because they'd have to move away. There are too many factors that may make moving an economic, emotional, or other necessity.

Latest Discussions