Feeling my age! Can't understand what the youth of today are saying anymore!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On another forum there's a serious thread about a kickboxing coach who people have concerns about, on one occasion he matched his 14 year old niece up with someone older and far more experienced, she was getting a real drubbing in the ring and was actually crying before the ref, her uncle, stopped the fight. There's that and a few other things that were being discussed, the uncle posted a rude message then said he wasn't coming back on however his niece posted up instead which I've copied below, if anyone actually knows what she said we'd be grateful for a translation lol!
When people say young people today speak a different language they weren't wrong!
"It's English Jim but not as we know it"

rite, u r all gowin on bwt steve mann b in a liar and a joke. who on hear has accualy met steve? coz it sowndz like u r all gowin off wt 2 old haz beenz r sayin hu obv av a problem wit steve. the onli reason they don't like im is he produces betta fightaz and he doesn't bow dwn 2 thm and dusn't let thm tell im wt 2 du which u al du wit eachutha. if its un professianol 2 nt wont 2 fight sum1 wiv wt might as well av bin mma gloves on wen u av boxing gloves on thn steve is unpro! uz r ded ard wen ur sat behind a computer arnt ye. maybe ur showz wud b betta if u accualy organised thm insted ov spenden ur life on this forum!

btw death wish i don't need u feelin sori 4 me i cn take a bloody nose i wz more bovad tht i lost thn tht, nd don't call my coach a joke.
user_online.gif

Ahriman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Aham. 14 years old? Seem like she can't spell but very proud of what they achieved. Either she has a serious problem or simply a member of that interesting new race of humans who only pollute the gene pool... lucky for us they're usually stupid enough to solve it for themselves.
As for translation, she's bitching about that you all are forum monkeys, her coach is very good, you only envy their successes and the usual BS.
As a side note, you can understand the "youth", if by youth you mean young humans. This kind of people are just aren't that. I despise this kind of "communication" to a great extent - I'm not a genius or anything but I managed to learn English, study MAs, practice MAs, study religions, finish school with good grades, study arms&armour, make arms&armour, organize and attend LARP events, teach others stuff I know, design and build damned siege weaponry and the list could go on... these young idiots neither have nor need to do this thus their list would be reduced to a few things, giving them a lot more time for individual parts. Seems like they spend that time elsewhere doing anything else. Oh, and if this girl is English or American* then the more I despise her and her kind.
Of course if the mentioned girl suffers from some kind of illness like autism then I apologise.

edited to add: *: or lives anywhere where English is the native language.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aham. 14 years old? Seem like she can't spell but very proud of what they achieved. Either she has a serious problem or simply a member of that interesting new race of humans who only pollute the gene pool... lucky for us they're usually stupid enough to solve it for themselves.
As for translation, she's bitching about that you all are forum monkeys, her coach is very good, you only envy their successes and the usual BS.
As a side note, you can understand the "youth", if by youth you mean young humans. This kind of people are just aren't that. I despise this kind of "communication" to a great extent - I'm not a genius or anything but I managed to learn English, study MAs, practice MAs, study religions, finish school with good grades, study arms&armour, make arms&armour, organize and attend LARP events, teach others stuff I know, design and build damned siege weaponry and the list could go on... these young idiots neither have nor need to do this thus their list would be reduced to a few things, giving them a lot more time for individual parts. Seems like they spend that time elsewhere doing anything else. Oh, and if this girl is English or American then the more I despise her and her kind.
Of course if the mentioned girl suffers from some kind of illness like autism then I apologise.

She's English and not suffering anything other than poor education. I'm rather ashamed actually as you've demonstrated ably many people who's first language isn't English manage our language beautifully. I think our language is wonderful, it's descriptive and full of nuances but this 'youthspeak' is a joke. I can understand why you abbreviate for text messages, you have to make yourself understood and only have so much space to write but many of the words she uses are actually elongated or at least the same length! Sowndz for sounds isn't any shorter! hazbeens instead of has beens agh.Why write onli instead of only? I give up! If you are going to insult people you should at least make sure they understand you lol! How can we consider her points if we don't know what's she's talking about?
This isn't language evolving, this is language going backwards towards the stoneage. I don't mind slang, all groups of people have their own words for things, the military where I work is one of the worst for that but this is just sheer ignorance I'm afraid.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You took the words right off the ends of my fingers, Irene :D.

L337-speak is the spawn of the Illiteracy Demon and should be outlawed ... "Death for spelling mistakes!" is the cry ... oops, I suspect there may be a little petard hoisting in short order :lol:.

By way of contrast, Ahriman and other members here for whom English is not a first language are to be complimented on the high standard of communication they hold themselves to :Sensei Rei:.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Boy I really hate it when kid's type in that manner of short hand or whatever they call it. It is like reading a foreign language.
icon9.gif
(hurts the eyes)

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
She sounds a little like one of the hideous chav-morlocks who inhabit the bowels of the earth. Not nearly as foul, but maybe that's just because of moderation on the site...

Ahriman

Green Belt
Reaction score
"(hurts the eyes)"
And this is a very polite description...
When I ask these idiots to speak/write in Hungarian, they (OK, some of them - those who show very minimal signs of intelligence) reply by saying "b' hei, languge evol's"... sure it does. But it is not evolution. Evolution takes place slowly, adapting to the environment and to it's changes. Now it's not slow and it's not adapting to anything except their illiteracy and ignorance. (and if it's posted at a forum, to their need of being discourteous)
Thus it's simple idiocy seen as "kewl" by some.
In the 19th century we had a writer called Kazincy, who wanted to reform the Hungarian language, as way too much of our vocabulary was based on Latin and German terms, some without changes some translated to the letter. He wrote a LOT about the evolution of the language, invented quite many new words, but only a part of it remained. It was a bit like this "modern" writing or whatever in that it resulted in a lot of bashing from all sides, but there is one huge difference - Kazinczy did his work scientifically, not randomly.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've got to wonder how they are going to apply for jobs, mortgages, passports even with being able to communicate! Just getting through life means you have to be able to say what you mean, I suppose though to be honest I'm being optimistic about the job thing lol, no doubt the benefits officer will fill all the dole forms in for them.
The subject we were discussing is pretty serious and admirably she is defending her uncle but it's not much good if no one knows what it means!
My other pet hate is when advertisers pander to this craze for turning S into Z and use 'yoof' talk to advertise to the young.
We've had Polish, Dutch and French fighters who've come over to fight on our shows, other shows have had Germans and Norwegians recently, all of whom spoke good English.
Our education standards are falling so low now I fear for todays schoolchildrens future. It's fine when chatting among themselves to use whatever speech they want but when dealing with officialdom or strangers you really need to be literate!

Catalyst

Blue Belt
Reaction score
rite, u r all gowin on bwt steve mann b in a liar and a joke. who on hear has accualy met steve? coz it sowndz like u r all gowin off wt 2 old haz beenz r sayin hu obv av a problem wit steve. the onli reason they don't like im is he produces betta fightaz and he doesn't bow dwn 2 thm and dusn't let thm tell im wt 2 du which u al du wit eachutha. if its un professianol 2 nt wont 2 fight sum1 wiv wt might as well av bin mma gloves on wen u av boxing gloves on thn steve is unpro! uz r ded ard wen ur sat behind a computer arnt ye. maybe ur showz wud b betta if u accualy organised thm insted ov spenden ur life on this forum!

btw death wish i don't need u feelin sori 4 me i cn take a bloody nose i wz more bovad tht i lost thn tht, nd don't call my coach a joke.
user_online.gif

I don't have the foggiest idea what this says.

Many thanks to Ahriman for translating this into the English Language. Some where there's an irony in there, I need a scholar and gentleman from Hungary to translate "English" into English for me.

Now only if Ahriman was sitting next to me in English class about 30 years ago when we had to read Beowulf in the original "Olde" English - I really could've really used his help !

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Right(Rite) you are all going on about Steve man being a liar and a joke.
Who on here has actually met Steve? Cause it sounds like you are all going off like 2 year old has beens are you saying you have a problem with Steve? The only reason they don't like him is he produces better fighters and he doesn't bow down to them and doesn't let them tell him what to do. Which you all do with each other. If its unprofessional to not want to fight someone with what might as well have been MMA gloves on when you have Boxing gloves on than Steve is unpro(unprofessional). You are dead hard when you sat behind a computer aren't you. Maybe your showes would be better if you actually orgainzed them instead of spending your lift on this forum!

-That is my translation with my team of professors
:partyon:

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
OP "rite, u r all gowin on bwt steve mann b in a liar and a joke. who on hear has accualy met steve? coz it sowndz like u r all gowin off wt 2 old haz beenz r sayin hu obv av a problem wit steve. the onli reason they don't like im is he produces betta fightaz and he doesn't bow dwn 2 thm and dusn't let thm tell im wt 2 du which u al du wit eachutha. if its un professianol 2 nt wont 2 fight sum1 wiv wt might as well av bin mma gloves on wen u av boxing gloves on thn steve is unpro! uz r ded ard wen ur sat behind a computer arnt ye. maybe ur showz wud b betta if u accualy organised thm insted ov spenden ur life on this forum!

btw death wish i don't need u feelin sori 4 me i cn take a bloody nose i wz more bovad tht i lost thn tht, nd don't call my coach a joke."

(quick translation - my suggestion in italic)
right. You are all going on (bwt) but Steve Mann be/is a liar and a joke. Who on here has actually met Steve? Because it sounds like you are all going off with two (2) old has-beens are saying who obviously have a problem with Steve. The only reason they don’t like him is he produces better fighters and he doesn’t bow down to them and doesn’t let them tell him what to do which you all do with each other. If its unprofessional to not want to fight someone with what might as well have been MMA gloves you have boxing gloves on, then Steve is unprofessional. You (youse-plural implied I think) are dead and when you’re sat (sit- past tense implied I think) behind a computer aren’t you. Maybe your shows would be better if you actually organized them instead of spending your life in this forum.
By the way, Death Wish, I don’t need you feeling sorry for me, I can take a bloody nose. I was more bothered that I lost than that, and don’t call my coach a joke.

the point of this kind of communication? People abbreviate because of text limitations-and the invisible requirements: you have to be in constant communication-even if you have almost nothing to communicate: you have to respond immediately, you have to be verbally aggresive and mocking/ironic; you have to be obscure (to the 'out' groups especially all adults); you have to be cool - which means doing something deliberately/pointlessly 'wrong' such as spelling sorri instead of sorry. Of course the sound/length of the word is the same, that's irrelevant. Doing it the 'wrong' way is deliberate and serves a purpose: being different, annoying adults.... doing that gives a small emotional zing. and kids and adults who often feel insecure, scared of being uncool, not very visible or powerful really need something, even if its dumb or silly - to get that zing.

worst outcome? the real Adults around you can figure it out/translate in their heads or run an on-line translation. They don't seem particularly outraged, just bored and a little tired; respond as though this is childish behavior, but they aren't crazed.

Worse is when they (the skillful Adults) cut right to the heart of it. They name/identify the agression, cruelty, sexually hostile, disrespectful, abusive, careless, dismissive, viscious nature of some of the messages - and they don't become frantic or crazy. They just stand there and call you out, quietly, on what you've written (or said out loud) and make you face it and explain it. And the best ones show the links between verbal and physical aggression... and the very best quietly ask - why do you have so much anger and agression, carelessness, meanness, etc.? and then offer to listen and help. And they actually do listen and help. Thats why they are real Adults.

Props to my friend Susan the 7th grade middle school science teacher, world class Adult and gifted friend. and all here who listen, teach and help.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have to admit I am clueless as to much of what she is saying, but it made me think of this

A Plan for the Improvement of English Spelling
by Mark Twain

For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped to be replased either by "k" or "s", and likewise "x" would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2 might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with "i" and Iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all. Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with Iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and Iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai Iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c", "y" and "x" -- bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez -- tu riplais "ch", "sh", and "th" rispektivli. Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Excuse me... I speak jive.

I believe the young lady is wroth to see people expressing such disrespectful opinions of Steve. She feels that these people are basing their opinions on secondhand information without any personal knowledge of Steve which might soften their positions. She further opines that the true source of their ire is jealousy toward Steve's history of producing quality fighters and his indomitable spirit. And if people think it's unprofessional to refuse to match one fighter in MMA gloves against another in boxing gloves? Why, then, he shall so be judged! She goes on to label them as Internet Tough Guys and recommends that they spend more time organizing shows than expressing their disdain on the internet.

PS: Is she bovvered? Yes. Yes, she is, but only at the vitriol directed at her coach, and not - it must be emphasized - NOT because she received a bloody nose.

Yr Obdt Svt
Cory

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand that kids (kidz?) want a language of their own to chat among themselves with, to leave adults out of it and to me thats fine but the problem is in our schools spelling and correct English is no longer taught. In the past children have always been able to, when needed, to use correct English when appropriate, now they can't. The schools curriculum doesn't include English as such any more,this is how they also write in school. The teacher doesn't correct them as it 'would stifle the imaginative process', that's from one of my daughters teachers. Very few children can spell correctly now as spelling isn't marked in tests. English grammer is a rarity too, children must at all cost be able to express themselves is the mantra and if that means textspeak thats what it is. never mind if only a few can actually understand them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...uled-allowing-text-speak-English-answers.html

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe she's punch drunk :idunno: :D

Quite likely lol, I'm afraid she did receive a hammering, it was awful actually.

Cory, if she'd put it like that she would have been taken seriously, instead of being told to get to school! (she posted at 0930, school starts 0900 here!) Of course knowing schools here she could well have been.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
that's not really l33t.

it looks like a mixture of English English (as opposed to American English) and the kind fo shorthand you get from texting. A complete mess and her parents should be ashamed LOL

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
English has needed spelling reform for a long long time. Nobody sat down and did it rationally, so the change happened from the bottom up. And not in a good way.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've got a couple of "gamer" friends - part-time hackers, etc. They don't even use this stuff.

(Although I do have a friend who actually says "lol" but that's to make fun of it!)

I figure this type of typing is used to give an online "image." Since you can't see what people are dressed like, or hair styles, etc, you infer it from their typing styles. Well thought out, complete sentences are like wearing nice clothes, and being well groomed.

Typing in that kind of mess is like dressing "alternatively" it's designed to be grating. Like certain kinds of tattoos, or extensive facial piercings, they're supposed to make people uncomfortable, and project an image. Many of them probably can write well enough for school, they just choose not to online, since there's no teacher there to fail them for being illegible.