How

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have you evolved as a fighter?

I started out kind of rough with sparring- always attacking, missing with my blocks, and not a lot of "arsenal". Now, it seems like I've gotten a lot more patient- I let the other person come in first, block and counter, and my blocks and strikes seem to be a great deal more on target. I'm more able to pick out the openings a great deal more easily than even a few months ago. I don't know the reason for the change, but I've definitely noticed.

Also, has this happened to anyone else?

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As time goes on, I find that I've gotten a bit more... realistic?... in my way of dealing with an opponent; that is, instead of blocking and waiting for an opening, I will deflect a strike into a trap, and at the same time deliver a hard strike (without making contact, or stopping right at the skin) that would be incapacitating if it were used in a real situation. I try to step out of the way of an attack, and then come in, attacking my oppo's striking limb and a weak point simultaneously... not hard, but hard enough to take the wind out of their sails. The point of this is not to hurt them, of course, but to apply TKD skills realistically, without actually drawing blood. A secondary point is to maybe put them on notice that it might be useful to them to try to think of how to use their TKD techniques at close-quarters fighting range, rather than the 8–10 foot `one step' sparring range that somehow became the default, but which has nothing to do with an actual fight.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I won't say I have evolved, but I have adapted. To changes in physique, knowledge, technique, etc.

tkd_Jaz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Personally I don't believe that I have evolved or improved that much. I've been buisy with school and my job which pays for TKD and other things that I simply haven't had the chance to really spar a lot. I don't mind getting hit and I'm pretty quick but it's one thing that I want to really work on before becomming a black belt. I really want to be a great competitor but sometimes you just don't have time for everything.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd say my focus has changed. Up until I was about 15 or 16 I would spar people my own size and focus on being the aggressor, making my opponent tap out. But at about that time I began sparring my instructor (he is 6 ft, probably 250 lbs of muscle, I am 5'9 and 125 lbs). This forced me to be more defensive and to focus on how to get out of joint locks and holds rather than put someone into them. I felt this was/is very good for my training because in a real life situation I am going to have to be getting away from the "bad guy", and striking vital points quickly so that I can run away. I would never put an attacker in an arm bar and wait for the cops to show up (maybe some of you bigger guys in a bar fight would, but it is not for me!). My goal is to get out of any attack (strike, grab, etc) and do what I need to do to get away as soon as possible. Sparring my instructor (and other bigger guys) has helped me to evolve in this way.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
As I have gotten older and slower I find the that the 1911A1 is the best for me in sparring situations. Of course I don't get many people that want to spar with me but on the other hand I usually do pretty well in my matches. :)

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When I first started I just threw random kicks and punches and hoped for an opening, now I really look for them openings and think about what I'm doing. I know I've got a lot to learn still, the first thing I've got to work on now I know is my fear of people I don't know. With people I know I can just go in and attack and rarely back down, I'm a close up fighter, but with strange people I keep so much out of range my strikes don't contact.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We must all evolve as fighter and as people or we will just welt away with the wind. As I have gotten older I tend to try to stay out of trouble but if or when it happens it will most likely be a quick result and not play around like in the old days.

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In my last sparring session I was able to think of, and apply some of the training.

Prior to this, when we started sparring, everything pretty much went out the window. I think this is because we do cardio work before sparring and while waiting for our turn. It's not like I was totally out of it, I could block and try to exploit openings but I couldn't remember to try to use combinations or blitzes until this last session.

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As I have gotten older and slower I find the that the 1911A1 is the best for me in sparring situations. Of course I don't get many people that want to spar with me but on the other hand I usually do pretty well in my matches. :)

Have you incorporated this into a hyung?

Chom-bi

Left front stance, to a pull-back-the-slide

Right front stance, to a thumb-back-the-hammer, kihap

Left front stance, right front stance to a turn-the-fist-90-degrees-gansta-style...

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
To K31, actually, yes I have. The only real problem I've encountered is where to put my ammo humpers. You see, my eye site has gotten worse over the years and I find that I tend to use "fire superiority" over precisely aimed shots. This works best for me. As I also am kind of deaf it's my ammo humpers job to point me in the right direction before I engage my opponent. For some reason I do tend to go through a lot of ammo humpers but I have confidence that with enough practice that will soon be less of a problem and I will stop having to buy 45 ammo in bulk. BTW, stance is very important, IE, you standing and them not.

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have "evolved" from waiting to use a defensive counter, to starting the attack to motivate my opponant to making a move to open up their defenses. If the opening attack from me makes them step back, I now go with it rather that stopping to set them up again. I have a better balance now of attacking and countering than I did long ago. I feel that I'm a much smarter fighter now.

WMKS Shogun

Green Belt
Reaction score
I started off as a wrestler, always leading with my face :) I have learned to be more offensive, when I used to be passive and defensive. I have learned to counter more effectively. I have also learned to bait opponents better (though sometimes I underestimate them and end up getting clobbered). Overall, I just feel more natural sparring than I used to. It was not that I felt uncomfortable with it, just clumsy, and while I still have 'bad martial arts days' when sparring, I worry less and rely more on training and experience.
I have also learned to bring my different arsenals together for a more complete package. While I cannot say I would win any UFC competitions, I can at least say I can now transition from outside kicking range, to kicking, to striking, to clinch, to ground better than when I started in eastern martial arts.