Korean terms of blocks

Callandor

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello. What is the difference between momtong makki and momtong yop makki? Are they the same technique?
I understand that momtong ahn makki means middle inward block. Dissecting the words based on a one-to-one relation, I think:
momtong = middle
ahn = inward
makki = block
Am I correct? If so, momtong makki would mean middle block. But why is there no direction specifier, like ahn? Are they the same?

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
You might look at:

http://www.martialartsresource.com/korean/TKD.list.htm

I'm not sure if those two you listed are the same or not, as one says to me torso/middle block, the other 'torso SIDE block' (or middle side block which in my org they would call an inner or outer forearm block to the side)). Neither tell me wether it is an inner or outer part of the forearm so it's unclear to me.

Anyway, hopefully the list helps, I do find it interesting (I only wish they had things listed in Korean as well, instead of just English and Romanized Hangul).

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello. What is the difference between momtong makki and momtong yop makki? Are they the same technique?
I understand that momtong ahn makki means middle inward block. Dissecting the words based on a one-to-one relation, I think:
momtong = middle
ahn = inward
makki = block
Am I correct? If so, momtong makki would mean middle block. But why is there no direction specifier, like ahn? Are they the same?

Hi Callandor!

You are correct on what you have thus far. Many times, direction identifiers are left out because they are understood as being an outward movement. "An Makgi" for inward block is more often specified. Let me break it down a little further for you.

Spelling may vary on these terms because they are translated phonetically, and many of the earlier attempts at English translations of Korean Taekwondo Terms were done by ear rather than actually reading the text, thus there were many "guesses." Dialects also play a part.

The letter "K" and "G" are interchangeable, but (in South Korea) the initial consonant of most words beginning with this sound, and each syllable within the word that begins it, will use the harder "G." This same sound at the end of a syllable, will usually be the softer "K" even though both are written the same.

막기 = Mak Gi or Makgi (mahk gee) - which means "block"

아래 = A Rae or Arae (ah rae - like "rat" without the "t") - means "low"

아래 막기 = Arae makgi (ah rae mahk gee) - "low block."

The torso of the body (waist to shoulders) is called "momtong," thus middle section blocks are referred to as "momtong makgi." Momtong does not really translate as "middle" but rather "torso."

몸 = Mom (mome) - which means "body"

몸통 = Mom Tong or Momtong (mome tong - long "o") - "torso"

몸통 막기 = Momtong Makgi - "Body Block"

Since any of the middle section blocks between the waist and the shoulders can be called a "Body Block," the term Momtong Makgi fits them all.

A face block is either to the side of the head, or above the head (which is often called a "high block").

얼굴 = Eol Gul or Eolgul (uhl gul - long "u" sound like in "tool") - means "face"

As to direction of the block, most blocks move from inside to out (low block, outer forearm middle block, inner forearm middle block). These blocks can be distinguished by the term "bakkeot" which means "outward" or "outside."

바깥 = Ba kkeot or bakkeot (bah kuht) - "outside"

바깥 막기 = bakkeot makgi - any block that moves in an outward direction.

The middle section block that moves in an inward direction (outside to inside) is called an "An Makgi" Since this is a unique movement, "Momtong An makgi" (body [level] inward block: "inward body block") is used to denote the inward movement, whereas outward body blocks are often just labeled as "momtong makgi," even though they should be "momtong bakkeot makgi" (body [level] outward block: "outward body block").

안 = An (ahn) - which means "inside"

로 = Ro (roe) - "toward"

안로 = Anro (ahn roe) - "inward" or "toward the inside"

안 막기 = An Makgi - "inward block"

Now, the use of the term "yeop" (pronounced "yawp" or "yuhp") means "to the side," thus it is applied when blocking to your left or right, rather than in front of you. This is usually used in a horse stance blocking directly to your left or right with a low block (arae yeop makgi), and middle section body blocks (momtong yeop makgi). You could do a body level inward block which stops at your side in a horse stance (momtong an yeop makgi) or an outward block moving to the side (momtong bakkeot yeop makgi).

옆 = Yeop (yawp or yuhp) - means "side"

옆 막기 = Yeop Makgi - "side block"

The "side block" is also applied when the lead hand in a back stance blocks outward with either the inner forearm, outer forearm, or knife-hand. The same block done in a walking stance (ap seogi) or a front stance (ap gubi) is simply called a Momtong Bakkeot Makgi (or Bakkeot Momtong Makgi) meaning "outward body block." Simply by turning the body sideways in a defensive back stance (dwi gubi) the block becomes a "side block" (yeop makgi).

Although, the side face block (Eolgul Yeop Makgi) is a high section side block no matter which stance you are in.

Therefore, "An" (inside), and "Bakkeot" (outside) refer more to the direction of movement, whereas "yeop" (side) refers to the location of a block relative to the position of your torso or the direction your chest is facing.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

CM D.J. Eisenhart

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mods:

Can we add Last Fearner's comments in the Korean terms thread in the Korean Arts page? It's quite helpful!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mods:

Can we add Last Fearner's comments in the Korean terms thread in the Korean Arts page? It's quite helpful!
If you can point me to the thread you want it added to, I'll look at it and possible merge and sticky the thread so it's easy to find.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Addendum:

[This question was asked of me in PM, but I thought it warranted sharing here!] :)

"So what is the difference between 아래 막기 and 하단 막기??"

아래 막기 = Arae Makgi - "Low Block"

하단 막기 = Ha Dan Makgi - "Low Section Block"

These terms are interchangeable (basically synonyms). When labeling target levels, many schools (depending on the instructor's background, and organizational affiliation) will use the term you mentioned. The body is usually divided into three sections: Low Section (below the waist), Middle Section (waist to shoulders), and High Section (from the neck up). I'm sure you already know this, but it helps to preface my answer. :)

Low Section Block ("Low Block")

하 = "Ha" which is used to denote something that is "low," or "lower" than something else.

단 = "Dan" is used to describe a "level" or "grade" of something in progression.

하단 = "Ha Dan" would be the lowest level of something (a lower column; the lowest step or tier; a lower berth or the bottom bunk bed)

하단 막기 = "Hadan Makgi" which would mean the lower of the three levels of blocking; a "Low Section Block."

Middle Section Block ("Middle Block")

중 = "jung" which means "center;" the "middle" of something.
(pronounced with the long "u" like the month "June" with an "ng" ending)

중단 = "jung dan" - "middle level" or "middle section"

중단 막기 = "Jungdan Makgi" "Middle Section Block."
(this is written on many websites several different ways such as: "jong"; "joong"; "Choon"; "Choong"; etc. - all of which are incorrect translations)

High Section Block ("High Block")

상 = "Sang" which refers to the "top," the "head," or the "upper part" of something.

상단 = "Sang Dan" which means "the upper portion" [division]. Upper level.

상단 막기 = "Sang Dan Makgi" means "High Section Block."

CM D.J. Eisenhart

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Most definitely. And his grasp of the language is beyond what most people have, including native speakers. I always find it a joy to read those posts and try to absorb the concepts. The language _really_ makes sense to me the more I learn of it. Although I'm still not sure how the Lee/Rhee name got anything other than 'Ee' heh.

Nuances, always nuances. And then there's having to learn Chinese to understand the 'important' documents heh. Always more :).

Latest Discussions