How Wing Chun is supposed to look...in my book

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Guess what, what you spar someone that has experience YOU'RE sparring someone with experience unless it's their first time sparring
Guess what that has nothing to do with self defense. It has nothing to do with anything outside your school. It has nothing to do with styles

Great it works well against other judo players as long as you follow the rules again has nothing to do with self defense. its all about the sport. Nothing wrong with playing games Im just not into it

And that has nothing to do with STYLES which is what your were talking about comparing styles that do spar vs styles that dont. So in reality styles dont matter its all about the person. There is no BETTER style. Actually my main style I practice if I took it into the ring Id never loose. But Firearms are against the rules[/QUOTE]

except wing chun people do spar. So what does that say about them?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
except wing chun people do spar. So what does that say about them?
It says nothing about them. It says if they do it and they like it awsome. It says of they are happy who cares. It says I unlike some don't care how, why, or by what methods people choose to spend their time and learning their chosen style regardless of the methods they chose or not to chose to test it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If it was all about the person, we should be seeing a much wider variety if styles in MMA, and quite a few more "pure" styles than what we're seeing in the sport. The fact of the matter is that you can't enter the cage without style x,y, and z, or stylistic equivalents. That kind of proves that it isn't just the person, but the style as well.

actually i think that gets complicated.

i might give that its own thread when i can be bothered.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It says nothing about them. It says if they do it and they like it awsome. It says of they are happy who cares. It says I unlike some don't care how, why, or by what methods people choose to spend their time and learning their chosen style regardless of the methods they chose or not to chose to test it.

just has nothing to do with self defence.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
just has nothing to do with self defence.
Sparring doesnt. BUT there is far more to WC then sparing. You seem to get focused on one small aspect of a style and make assumptions that the one small part is all there is. It's not the case. Sparing is fun it's a good exercise it's ok to train but it's not all there is.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Am I wrong. Is that not MMA? Nothing ridiculous about it. I train it and use it in the real world as a cop on the streets with out a ref, or corner crews, or time limits.

yes and no.

combining styles is mma. But is is ambiguous if you did say,yellow bamboo and taebow. And called that mma.

i mentioned that sort of in my mma is made up thread. Its legitimacy is grounded in the competition aspect.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Isn't it true that many WC schools don't spar?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sparring doesnt. BUT there is far more to WC then sparing. You seem to get focused on one small aspect of a style and make assumptions that the one small part is all there is. It's not the case. Sparing is fun it's a good exercise it's ok to train but it's not all there is.

i believe resisted training is pretty important in preserving the honesty of that system. Sparring being a part of that.

Geoff Thompson said it well regarding animal day in that it reveals the person.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
i believe resisted training is pretty important in preserving the honesty of that system. Sparring being a part of that.

Again I didn't say not to spar I said it's not realistic and isn't self defense. Your free to train however you see fit and so I'm I. I've made it this far in life so it's working for me

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
We did in mine also. We didn't just go at it in the beginning though. Other wise the WC would of been thrown out the window . We did amp it up later as skill increased. My teacher encouraged us to also spar with other arts outside of our school. I learned more outside sparring than sparring with other Wing Chunners. Like not to freeze and reset. You do that with a boxer or good striker and you are done. I also learned how to take a hit and blocking everything is a myth. All from sparring

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Most WC school spar but not "full contact - trying to knock each other out". There is a big difference between:

- you know that your opponent tries to knock your head off, vs.
- your opponent will just hit on your face with little touch.

In the following short clip, you can see some real tension there.

Last edited:

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Again I didn't say not to spar I said it's not realistic and isn't self defense. Your free to train however you see fit and so I'm I. I've made it this far in life so it's working for me
I agree different strokes different folks. Sparring is not self defense. I did get other things from it that I think will help in SD. Like getting use to getting hit and timing etc. sparring is not for everybody.

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
After 274 post and endless bantering, derailing and hijacking, anyone remember what the original post is all about. How about get back on subject, start an new thread ... and STFU already.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score

I agree and say it's the most important attribute in a system. A fight or attack will happen in real time with an aggressive, resisting, reacting opponent. If you're not dealing with an opponent like this you're not training for reality. chi sau is a start, I'm just surprised to see all the push back and lack of importance placed on sparring. Didn't Bruce lee say something about learning to swim on land? Isn't he basically the gospel when it comes to chun?
I'm glad I'm free to train however I want, but sparring is as close to realistic as you can get. What do you suggest is a more realistic way to train? You're starting to sound like RBSD guy. Would you prefer scenario based training?

After 274 post and endless bantering, derailing and hijacking, anyone remember what the original post is all about. How about get back on subject, start an new thread ... and STFU already.

How about you get things back on track instead of crying about it. This is a conversation not an interview, conversations naturally will develope and change topic bring it back on track of you wish.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Didn't Bruce lee say something about learning to swim on land? Isn't he basically the gospel when it comes to chun?

Bruce might be the gospel when it comes to JKD, but I'm sure plenty of Chunners will be happy to tell you that he wasn't that advanced in his Wing Chun study.

I'm glad I'm free to train however I want, but sparring is as close to realistic as you can get. What do you suggest is a more realistic way to train? You're starting to sound like RBSD guy. Would you prefer scenario based training?

I'm a huge advocate of sparring. There are certain skills and attributes that it can develop better than any other training method. that said, it's not tremendously realistic as a simulation of a self-defense situation*. Scenario training is better in that regard.

*(It can be very realistic as a simulation of certain types of fighting situations, but that's not the same as self defense.)

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL Sparing is NOTHING like real life. And Im not sure why your taking a shot at RBSD. I perfer what works for me. Look this has nothing to do with the topic so Ill leave it there. Ive gotten my hand smacked for posting off topic and being "mean" So If you believe sparring is real thats fine. I train cops for the real world and we dont spar. Take that for what you will

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure who you're referring to here, but I've already mentioned that I'm not an MMA fanboy, don't follow it, don't train it. I think you're taking analysis and criticism as personal insults. I've mentioned several times that wc has value, you guys gloss right over that.

??? it was a post just that, it wasn't addressed to anyone, it was a thought, maybe some will agree some wont, it wasn't personal to you in any way.
I'm also not sure what criticism and analysis you think I'm taking as a personal insult? Is it what's written about MMA or WC, because I'm also not sure what you think I've said.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
LOL Sparing is NOTHING like real life. And Im not sure why your taking a shot at RBSD. I perfer what works for me. Look this has nothing to do with the topic so Ill leave it there. Ive gotten my hand smacked for posting off topic and being "mean" So If you believe sparring is real thats fine. I train cops for the real world and we dont spar. Take that for what you will
Sparring is nothing like real life? Wow! Do you expect that people won't punch and kick you? I wasn't taking a jab at rbsd just trying to see where you're coming from. How do you put the techniques you train to the test? What in your book gets close to real life? Obviously you can't perfectly simulate real life but sparring is close, it brings resistance, unpredictability and aggression to the picture all of which are very real things you should be able to handle. Please elaborate and tell us how you train for real life.

Latest Discussions