Does anyone use real front kick in sparring?

Babook

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It seems that front kick is not a good kick for sparring. Most often the opponent stays sideways and you can get him with a side,hook,round, exe kick, but not front kick. I also could not figure out which front kick to use in sparring. The one that kicks up or the one that thrusts forward.
Yesterday I saw a video of the channel that I subscribe to. Paul Zaichik says that most people do not throw one of the two versions of the front kick, but rather both of them at the same time. I am thinking if this is the reason I can't use the front kick effectivly. Short legs is another possible issue.

Here is a youtube video I am refering to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRgRX4yiuwI&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The front kick is a phenomenal real world kick that packs a punch. In sparring it can be effective if an opponent gives you an opening.
icon6.gif

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Done right, with proper technique, a well set-up front kick is almost impossible to stop.

Fortunately, there ain't a lot of folks out there who take the time to develop a good front kick!

ProTaekwondo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I love my front kicks! They are great for setting up another kick or just unbalancing the opponent and you don't even put yourself in a vulnerable position

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It seems that front kick is not a good kick for sparring. Most often the opponent stays sideways and you can get him with a side,hook,round, exe kick, but not front kick. I also could not figure out which front kick to use in sparring. The one that kicks up or the one that thrusts forward.

Different attacks are used depending on what targets are available. People will also posture themselves to best defend against whatever techniques and targets are allowed.

Change those rules and you might start seeing front kicks more, and possibly a great reduction in others. For example, add in leg kicks, people will have to square up a little more as being sideways leaves the lead leg very hard to defend. You will then see less high kicks as well, as the supporting leg becomes vulnerable to a low kick when you through one. Being more squared up will make the front kick relevant again.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've won quite a few matches with a front kick in point sparring competitions. I also use them in continuous sparring. It's also my favorie kick to see in movies. Check out the new 007 preview!!!

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Different attacks are used depending on what targets are available. People will also posture themselves to best defend against whatever techniques and targets are allowed.

Change those rules and you might start seeing front kicks more, and possibly a great reduction in others. For example, add in leg kicks, people will have to square up a little more as being sideways leaves the lead leg very hard to defend. You will then see less high kicks as well, as the supporting leg becomes vulnerable to a low kick when you through one. Being more squared up will make the front kick relevant again.

Well said! It really depends on what type of sparring you are doing. If there are a lot of rules (like in most point fighting) then there are certain techniques which will work great and certain techniques that won't work well at all. If you are sparring in a realstic way, then a front kick to the lead leg can be explosive! Also, if locked up and working a trap, a front kick to the rear leg can destabilize your opponent for a throw or for a great distraction. And, of course, let's not forget the good ol' front kick to the bean bag. If some guy wants to attack me on the street and is trying to 'play boxing', there's a good chance I'll land at least one in the junk (the upward striking front kick) and maybe even one if the knee (the thrusting front kick)...

OP
B

Babook

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wow, I guess I just don't know how to do it right. When we do drills before the actual sparring on the sparring night we barely ever do front kick. My instructor doesn't believe in it. I guess if I did not read your posts, I would think that it doesn't work.
What is better a frot leg or a rear leg front kick?

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The front kick worked very well for me. Many of the people I sparred threw it up rather than straight at the opponent and thats why they usually missed.
The front kick is one of my favorites. :)

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What is better a fro(n)t leg or a rear leg front kick?

The question of what technique is best is kind of nil. Some techniques will work better than others for certain situations. Some techniques are better for conditioning but are not very practical. Some techniques are just stupid (and that's why most realistic schools won't teach them).

My advice: be as all-around in your training as you can be. Some things will work best for you, so perfect those things, but don't forget everything else...

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I use front kick on a regular basis - along with turning (roundhouse) and side kick. I find them quite effective... but some of it has to do with my sparring style, and some with how I was taught to do each kick. It's all in what you're taught, what you train, and how your body works - different things will work for different people/styles/opponents.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you can effect any kick that goes strait to the target, then you can effect a front kick.

usually in the dojo sparring people blade they body, and the front elbow guards their ribs. Add to that low kicks are no allowed (above the belt is the rule) and thus for an attacking kick you wouild have to wait for an opening (or make one.)

Usually I side step and do the front kick to expose the diapharm to attack. Some times I fake a strong right punch to get them to bring their arms up while I kick to the middle. And I've use a spinning heal kick to create an opening for a front kick with the front leg after I've done the spinning heal.

The trick with the front kick, like any other kick, is to wait for an opening for such an attack (or make an opening.)

Deaf

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wow, I guess I just don't know how to do it right. When we do drills before the actual sparring on the sparring night we barely ever do front kick. My instructor doesn't believe in it. I guess if I did not read your posts, I would think that it doesn't work.
What is better a frot leg or a rear leg front kick?

The problem IMO, is 2 part. 1st is the lack of actually putting in the time in practicing it. 2nd is the instructors personal view interfering with your learning it properly. Because it doesn't work for him, he feels that it won't work for everyone else, which I think (no offense to your instructor) is a sign of a not too well rounded practitioner. I've applied front thrust kicks in both sparring and real life applications, with very effective results. It's good that you can realize by other posts here that I'm not alone in this, instead of drinking your instructors "Front kicks don't work Kool-Aid".
Just keep practicing it, and it'll get better with time. Oh and speaking of time, practicing the proper timing in it's delivery is just as important as practicing the kick itself. Offensively it can be easy to read and counter, but reactively, like using it to intercept an incoming opponent, is where it works great for me.

Personally I prefer the rear leg front thrust kick for it's power. We call it the Walking Front Kick because we do not rechamber the leg back, instead we push through and end up in the next forward platform (or forward fighting stance), and aim for the lower ab/upper groin area.

Franco

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Front kicks work great in sparring, just liek side kicks do , crescent , hook, hmmm ? They all mostly work in sparring. Pointless to discuss what kicks are and are not effective. That is the whole point of sparring. Is to apply them and see what does and does not work. Better to do trial and error in sparring class than in real life. There is nothing liek trying something in class and then getting blasted in a counter that HURTS !! Pain is telling you , hmm, that didn't work, let's try something different next time :p

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Check out some Muay Thai fights sometime. Pretty much the only kicks they use are the round kick (called te, thrown to legs, body and head/neck), and the front kick (called a teep, typically thrown to the body).

The reason: as others said earlier, the rules. They use a lot of leg kicking, so they square up more, which makes the front kick easier, and the side kick harder to perform.

I prefer to use the lead leg as a defensive stop measure to allow me to counter (IE, they come in with a punch or kick, I throw a push kick, then step through with a follow up).

Buakaw is especially good with his teeps, he really gets his hips into them and creates some serious power.

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yesterday I saw a video of the channel that I subscribe to. Paul Zaichik says that most people do not throw one of the two versions of the front kick, but rather both of them at the same time. I am thinking if this is the reason I can't use the front kick effectivly. Short legs is another possible issue.

Here is a youtube video I am refering to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRgRX4yiuwI&feature=related

I don't agree at all. It's possible that the kicks you use in sparring are useful within certain tkd type rules, but give a good grappler those kicks and be prepared to kiss ground.

When set up properly a front kick has alot of power behind it. I find it very useful when someone rushes straight in. Kick straight to the soloplexis, ouch.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Front kicks work just fine, as long as they are performed correctly.

Too many people try using front kick, using a "scooping" motion, and end up banging their shins or ankles on someone's elbow.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

The front kick has always been my favorite kick. It is fast and straight into the target

7starmarc

Green Belt
Reaction score
As with any other technique, the front kick can be very effective is you position, set up, and execute properly. If an opponent is "bladed" too much, thenyou might not have great targets until either you or they moves. The Front kick is quick, particularly from the front leg. I've rarely met someone who doesn't provide me with a front kick target at some point. If they don't, it means they're not turning into "reverse" strikes, which means I either have to content with either a weak attacker, or someone you only uses half of their potential weapons.

Our style involves a lot of attacking an opponent's center, which means that I'm often turning someone or otherwise creating openings, which is not something you would find in "classic" (boxing-style) sparring. Also, our fighting does not restrict target areas, so kicking takes on a different flavor.

Also, even when facing someone who stays "bladed" you can still use the front kick defensively, to break up timing, stall an advance, or otherwise keep you opponent honest.

Also don't forget, the famed Karate Kid "crane technique" is pretty much a jumping front kick. According to Mr. Miyagi, "If do right, no can defense." :bangahead:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The front kick was, IMO, not designed to go up. Its designed to go out. If I was going to throw a kick towards the chin, I certainly wouldn't use a front kick, I'd use the instep. :)

Keep in mind, when throwing the front kick, it should be done in 4 parts:

1) Lifting the leg (chambering)
2) extending the kick
3) re-chamber
4) plant the foot down.

Of course, doing this fast, its all 1 move, not 4 seperate parts. :) Like any kick or punch, the success of it comes down to how its executed. If the front kick isnt done right, it'll result in a) missing the target or b) injuring your foot/toes.

I've had some good luck with the front kick. I've caught alot of people who loved to rush right in, in an attempt to overwhelm me. More times than not, they ate that kick. :ultracool

Latest Discussions