How to start my security career?

maryf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Once you have decided the job and career, choosing the martial arts or other type of fighting practice is much easy and efficient. :)

Cranes2133

White Belt
Reaction score
Greetings everyone! New member here. I've been reading this section quite alot, I am from Scandinavia (Finland) and studying to become a security guard, and I'm not sure how much different things are (I noticed most folks here are from US) but as others have said the physical size doesn't matter, you need good verbal skills (talk judo) and body language, atleast the training here focused a lot on these two, but ofcourse we have physical training too!

TieXiongJi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Have you thought of just applying to be a police officer or a prison guard? Better pay and benefits.
Private security guards, bouncers are obviously justified, but don't support the US private prison system. It is unjust. Do not help the state terrorize drug offenders.
Watch out for US police training. It trains you to fear everything to the point that US cops kill more citizens than any other nation.
Seems the best cops are ex-military. Military training has a lot to do with de-escalation before they aim a gun.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Private security guards, bouncers are obviously justified, but don't support the US private prison system. It is unjust. Do not help the state terrorize drug offenders.
Watch out for US police training. It trains you to fear everything to the point that US cops kill more citizens than any other nation.
Seems the best cops are ex-military. Military training has a lot to do with de-escalation before they aim a gun.
99.341083% of this is nonsense

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you base this on? Seriously. There are a lot of differences between US law enforcement and other countries -- including transparency, accountability, and the role of the military within the country.

TieXiongJi

Green Belt
Reaction score
What do you base this on? Seriously. There are a lot of differences between US law enforcement and other countries -- including transparency, accountability, and the role of the military within the country.
I base this on everything I have read and experienced as a citizen of the US regarding police, prisons and how our laws have affected our society.
I do not wish to write a long winded, well sourced article to defend the statement. Could you ask a more precise question?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I base this on everything I have read and experienced as a citizen of the US regarding police, prisons and how our laws have affected our society.
I do not wish to write a long winded, well sourced article to defend the statement. Could you ask a more precise question?
So, instead, you're going to make a broad assertion without a single effort to back it up?

I'll even give you leeway on the drug enforcement claim. That's certainly a point of view some people have, mostly those in favor of broad legalization... And, there is room to suggest some unfairness in our justice system -- especially in favor of those who have money. (BTW -- do you know what triggered the harsh sentences for powder cocaine compared to crack? I'll give you a hint... It had nothing to do with who was using it, and everything to do with fears of violence...)

So let's look at that training claim -- that the military gives its people more training in de-escalation than law enforcement training... What is your background to make that claim? Are you a vet? Have you attended or even audited a police academy's curriculum? Most agencies and academies put a lot of effort into making sure that officers understand when lethal force is justified and when it's not -- and how to de-escalate.

TieXiongJi

Green Belt
Reaction score
So, instead, you're going to make a broad assertion without a single effort to back it up?

I'll even give you leeway on the drug enforcement claim. That's certainly a point of view some people have, mostly those in favor of broad legalization... And, there is room to suggest some unfairness in our justice system -- especially in favor of those who have money. (BTW -- do you know what triggered the harsh sentences for powder cocaine compared to crack? I'll give you a hint... It had nothing to do with who was using it, and everything to do with fears of violence...)

So let's look at that training claim -- that the military gives its people more training in de-escalation than law enforcement training... What is your background to make that claim? Are you a vet? Have you attended or even audited a police academy's curriculum? Most agencies and academies put a lot of effort into making sure that officers understand when lethal force is justified and when it's not -- and how to de-escalate.

First of all, thank you replying thoughtfully.

Military training claim: I am not a veteran. I live in San Diego, CA and I personally know multiple current and ex-military members. Each and everyone of the ones I respect are very peaceful people. They do everything in their power to prevent use of violence in every facet of their lives. Their weapons and tactics training does encourage quick, violent resolutions, but the communication training leans towards de-escalation as a large portion of field encounters occur with civilians, not militants. Over conversations with these gentlemen, we have analyzed multiple police-citizen interactions, confrontations, crowd control tactics and shootings. We tend to agree on the peaceful resolutions and multiple steps between talking and killing.
There are many veteran public figures speaking about US policing which I could highlight if you care.
The police officers I have met personally seem to side with the police in many of those same interactions and we disagree on using de-escalation techniques instead of absolute control (employing violence to de-escalate).
I have watched multiple documentaries about US policing, policy, training... I am not an officer and couldn't join their group. You know they try not to hire smart people?
When I compare the US police killing statistics to similar nations, I almost weep.

TieXiongJi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Greetings everyone! New member here. I've been reading this section quite alot, I am from Scandinavia (Finland) and studying to become a security guard, and I'm not sure how much different things are (I noticed most folks here are from US) but as others have said the physical size doesn't matter, you need good verbal skills (talk judo) and body language, atleast the training here focused a lot on these two, but ofcourse we have physical training too!

Welcome to the conversation. I worked security for a bit during college, but never had to use physical force. Talk Judo is a great skill to develop as it will help you prevent violence.

Latest Discussions