How to rapidly learn a martial art?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It wasn't for the purpose of trying to learn those throws, but when we would learn a new throw in class, I had at least seen it before in some form, and it gave some helpful context.
Excellent point. Often the instructor is so busy introducing new students to particular pieces of the puzzle that the big picture gets neglected*. Books can be an excellent introduction to an overview of the art - history, terminology, concepts, categories of techniques, etc. Many of us learn better when we understand how the topic at hand fits into the context of the art as a whole.

*(BJJ instructors can be really bad about this. I try not to fall into that trap.)

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Judo grip fighting is primarily built around gripping the gi. That's a lot harder to drill solo.

Precisely why I advised to get a judo throwing dummy and equip with a gi. I wish judo had started with a No Gi self defense subset. We are having to modify grips in our postmodern era, with some success.

Sleeve grabs becoming limb grabs, collar grabs becoming neck or shoulder hooks.... but traditional Judo (Sport) sees no need for the practical application. To my dismay and disappointment.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 39746

Do you know what your learning style is? If not do a test for it (not 100% accurate) and stack your personal learning in favour of the media you learn best from. Dont forget that martial arts is something you need to do a mix of study for, so just the media you learn best from wont do from fully understanding it and learning it.

I would offer advice of what i do but i dont think my learning style supports reading that heavily. I think im a hands on person, welp looks like im doing a test with you.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think some of you older guys are out of touch with today's world. You poor bastards.

In today's modern world a person can rapidly zoom to Black Belt in no time flat. It's being done all over the place. Why, heck, I met a young guy a few months ago who made his Black Belt so quickly he ain't even got his gi dirty yet. It's a fine looking belt, too.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Judo grip fighting is primarily built around gripping the gi. That's a lot harder to drill solo.
You can always wear long sleeve. The sleeve hold and elbow hold will still be there.

Again nobody will have training partner 24/7. Any solo training can be helpful.

There are many ways to develop grip strength by using different training equipment. The OP will only train 1 hour a week. To have a good home training is important.

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm starting a Judo class soon, they train 1 hour a week, and I want to progress fast. Would anybody advise on how to make the most of the short class time, and ways to train outside of class?

Thanks

When you're in class, absorb as much as you can..
but I wouldn't recommend worrying about 'progressing
fast'.. hard work, commitment, consistency.. these are
paramount. enjoy the time at each belt and build your
foundation

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Excellent point. Often the instructor is so busy introducing new students to particular pieces of the puzzle that the big picture gets neglected*. Books can be an excellent introduction to an overview of the art - history, terminology, concepts, categories of techniques, etc. Many of us learn better when we understand how the topic at hand fits into the context of the art as a whole.

*(BJJ instructors can be really bad about this. I try not to fall into that trap.)

That is also why you train noobs a bit wrong. Make absolutes where there is nuances.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Op. You need a high volume of training with a partner in real time and space to get good quickly.

I haven't found a way to cheat this.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There are no short cuts. You need lots of clean reps and sparring.

Since there are no short cuts, get really really strong and have insane cardio. That will be the foundation upon which you build your judo.

As my judo sensei says: The first secret to good judo is cardio.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In the wrestling art such as Judo, strategy can play an important part. Trying not to let your opponent to get the grips on you should be your 1st priority.

In Chinese wrestling, it's called "tearing". You use your body rotation to tear apart your opponent's grip. When you use tearing, you can put your opponent in defense mode. Your opponent has to obtain his grips back. At that particular moment, he is not thinking about attacking you. Also his feet is moving around with you. You can then take advantage on his weight shifting.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are no short cuts. You need lots of clean reps and sparring.

Since there are no short cuts, get really really strong and have insane cardio. That will be the foundation upon which you build your judo.

As my judo sensei says: The first secret to good judo is cardio.

Nobody goes in to a fight wishing they had less cardio.

77Wolfpack

White Belt
Reaction score
While wanting to progress quickly is understandable, dont forget to enjoy your journey in your art. Listen to all the advice you are given and meditate on it. Find what works for you and lets you enjoy. As a new practitioner in judo, You will want to learn your falls and take care of your joints. But please dont forget to enjoy yourself and enjoy the journey, it is seldom ever a race.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think some of you older guys are out of touch with today's world. You poor bastards.

In today's modern world a person can rapidly zoom to Black Belt in no time flat. It's being done all over the place. Why, heck, I met a young guy a few months ago who made his Black Belt so quickly he ain't even got his gi dirty yet. It's a fine looking belt, too.

Was it all nicely embroidered lol

Hope if it in Kanji or other script it actually says what he thinks it does lol

Latest Discussions