How to handle the parents

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you at least serving popcorn and soda?

Sheesh you 2 fight worse than a bunch of middle aged hormonal women around fool moon!

You say that like it's a bad thing.... and of course you do realise I am a middle aged hormonal woman don't you? ( I could call insult on your post) So why you are expecting logic and reason I really don't know.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You say that like it's a bad thing.... and of course you do realise I am a middle aged hormonal woman don't you? ( I could call insult on your post) So why you are expecting logic and reason I really don't know.

But is your counter part a middle aged hormonal woman?! (besides, so am I)

And I forgot what you were fighting about....no wait...what?

(ah crap, now the original theme is completely derailed)

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Back to the original post theme....

No wonder our Association has a strict rule of "No parents watching".

Our Master has a strong opinion that parents and guardians should not be allowed to sit and watch past the first lesson and I agree with him totally.

We allow it on occasions for mitigating circumstances but on the whole our kids are better without them there and we have a whole lot les hassle from parents. We also use other people's premises and just rent rooms for the classes so if anyone moves anything there tends to be people watching who work for the premises.. eg gym or public leisure centre.

I can see why now! I was thinking of getting my own place but after reading this lot.... well I'll probably stick with what I've got.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The majority of parents behave. They are not all rabid raving lunatics.

But the kids really do better when they can't see the parents and golly, some parents seem to make it a family outing, mom, dad, grandma and grandpa, the siblings, cousins etc, I mean, surely you folks have something else to do then watch a 6 yo doing his stuff...it's practice, training, not a recidel!

The again, the school location is where you really can't do anything else for the 30 or 45 minutes class is in session, so you sit and watch. (I always suggested to put a coffee shop in...now there is a model shop next door and a furniture place across the street)

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Back to the original post theme....

No wonder our Association has a strict rule of "No parents watching".

Our Master has a strong opinion that parents and guardians should not be allowed to sit and watch past the first lesson and I agree with him totally.

We allow it on occasions for mitigating circumstances but on the whole our kids are better without them there and we have a whole lot les hassle from parents. We also use other people's premises and just rent rooms for the classes so if anyone moves anything there tends to be people watching who work for the premises.. eg gym or public leisure centre.

I can see why now! I was thinking of getting my own place but after reading this lot.... well I'll probably stick with what I've got.

While I think it would be GREAT to say parents aren't allowed to watch, I would think parents would automatically feel some apprehension and distrust if they were told this. I don't have kids, but I know if I took my nephew to an activity and was then told I couldn't stay and watch him I don't think I'd let him participate.

Now, if you mandate no parents in an advanced kids class, or a tournament team or something where you already have built a relationship and have the parents' trust I can see it. But otherwise.....?????

How does your instructor present the idea? How to parents respond? Again, I think it is a GREAT idea (and I am sure actually better for the child) but I just can't figure out how to pull it off...

edit: my "Dream Dojang" would have a front waiting/viewing area where the parents could watch through a one way mirror, but only students would be allowed past that waiting area (no parents on the floor). And then I'd have an isntructor in the waiting area as parents come and leave to greet them and answer any questions.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
better yet, have another workout floor for the parents too self concious to train with the kids but can't justify another trip to the Dojang.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
**Update**Update**Update**Update**Update**Update**Update**Update**

Since we last talked the mother has decided to bring her child back under the rules of the school. She has come to relize it was not about her but what was best for her child. They said they tried a couple of schools but it was not the same as being here, so in the end I may have been able to help someone see what the difference is between schools. They will be starting back on Thursday. All things cosider it has ended with something positive for all.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
**Update**Update**Update**Update**Update**Update**Update**Update**

Since we last talked the mother has decided to bring her child back under the rules of the school. She has come to relize it was not about her but what was best for her child. They said they tried a couple of schools but it was not the same as being here, so in the end I may have been able to help someone see what the difference is between schools. They will be starting back on Thursday. All things cosider it has ended with something positive for all.
In the end Terry it comes down to the bonds built over time with the child, dojang members, other parents, and most of all the dojang master that makes each studio what it is. Breaking that and trying to build it again is harder than most think. The ones asked to leave that have had the bond building time only understand this once it is gone. It is like trying to get over an ex but harder. If you are not allowed to come back most quit for good. A few move on but they alway hold that place asked to leave in higher regards. Even if their new place is better in a lot of ways.

Glad you could teach a lesson and someone has learned from such lesson.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am glad it worked out so well!
And hopefully now she appreciates what she has and will be a fan rather than a pain.
Looks like you couldn't have hoped for a better outcome- nice job sir!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Seems that even adults are not above respecting boundaries which are set and enforced. :)