How to escape a wrist lock

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Having someone like that to work with reveals some truths.
Yes, and makes for really long nights at the dojo.

Trained a guy who was a third generation stone mason. Needed a chain saw to break his grip.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think the title of this thread can be misleading. There is no wrist lock in that video.
Yeah.

You gotta skip the Title and read the content.
"I show how to use not a technique but body mechanics to fling your opponent away using only a little force."

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah.

You gotta skip the Title and read the content.
"I show how to use not a technique but body mechanics to fling your opponent away using only a little force."
My question is, "If you train how to push your opponent away, why don't you also train how to control his back leg when you push?"

1 point contact is push. 2 points contact in the opposite direction is throw. Will it be more useful to train how to throw than to train how to push?

Here is another example that when your opponent uses both hands to control your leading arm, you may have difficulty to punch him with your back hand.

Just by adding that simple back leg control, a push can become a throw.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My question is, "If you train how to push your opponent away, why don't you also train how to control his back leg when you push?"
Depends on the situation. In a multiple attacker scenario you may not want to bring that person in especially if you are pushing that person away so you can deal with a new incoming threat. If you are only looking at "Body mechanics" then there is no need to train the technique. However if you want to set body mechanics to a purpose like "fling someone off me" then I would need to train both the body mechanics and the technique for that purpose. I can't train them separately. Training them separately would be like training form but not application..

Training Form = Clean Body Mechanics
Training Application = Actual Body Mechanics +technique

The OP was only looking at Body Mechanics. There was no technique in which those mechanics could power, as a result, those body Mechanics may not be accurate to fighting or flinging an opponent off of you.

Foot hooks are awesome. They are one of the few techniques I know where "less is more" In terms of brute strength they don't require any. Energy that is used to use a successful foot hook is truly minimum.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1 point contact is push. 2 points contact in the opposite direction is throw. Will it be more useful to train how to throw than to train how to push?
Why does it have to be one or the other. There are times when creating space might be useful, so why not train to do both?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why does it have to be one or the other. There are times when creating space might be useful, so why not train to do both?
Because if you know how to throw, you also know how to push. The other way around may not be true.

Chang-inner-hook_1.gif

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because if you know how to throw, you also know how to push. The other way around may not be true.

View attachment 27520
That doesn't seem a counter to my suggestion that folks can train both. I don't think anything you've said here suggests that someone can't train the pushing away as a separate drill, and add in the structure control (foot trap, or whatever) that turns it into a throw.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That doesn't seem a counter to my suggestion that folks can train both. I don't think anything you've said here suggests that someone can't train the pushing away as a separate drill, and add in the structure control (foot trap, or whatever) that turns it into a throw.
The issue is in order to apply a throw, your arm and leg need to be coordinated together. In order to achieve the coordination, you can't train arm and leg separately.

Chang-inner-hook.gif

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The issue is in order to apply a throw, your arm and leg need to be coordinated together. In order to achieve the coordination, you can't train arm and leg separately.

View attachment 27521
Actually, you can. It's less efficient in some ways, but you can certainly train the push/pull (arm) portion separately. There are some advantages to this (to go with some of the disadvantages), as the basic push-pull principles can be used with multiple throws, so training them separately develops basic structure control for multiple techniques.

And it trains for when you're not using that leg - just using the arms to control to set up for something else (as when pushing away to make space).

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I honestly think arm bar type locks are more effective in a real situation than wrist locks which are very hard to apply. much harder to get out of too

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly think arm bar type locks are more effective in a real situation than wrist locks which are very hard to apply. much harder to get out of too
Standing arm bars aren't easy to maintain, and are fairly easy to get out of if you just move enough. IMO, in most cases all standing locks are transitional - they are best used to control/disrupt structure (or for pain compliance, if that happens to happen). To use most locks as restraint, you have to limit their ability to move, which is most easily done if they are no longer standing.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Standing arm bars aren't easy to maintain, and are fairly easy to get out of if you just move enough. IMO, in most cases all standing locks are transitional - they are best used to control/disrupt structure (or for pain compliance, if that happens to happen). To use most locks as restraint, you have to limit their ability to move, which is most easily done if they are no longer standing.
yeah better on the ground....true dat

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is when you lock your opponent's wrist, his elbow is still free. All he needs to to is to raise his elbow to counter the wrist lock.
If you've actually locked the wrist properly, the elbow is not free - it's controlled by structure. Anything less is only a partial lock.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah control a larger limb. a wrist is small and hard to get too.
Wrist locks are pretty situational. For instance, if someone manages to get their arm bent during an arm bar, there are at least 3 places where they pass through a wrist lock position (plus probably at least one shoulder lock position) while escaping.

Latest Discussions