How to be fast when you're slow

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
but apart guarantees a shot up the middle, and hands in the center guarantees a hook, or a straight shot to the hands; so, you punch yourself in the face. :)
To open your

- front door will bait your opponent to come in through that front door.
- side doors will bait your opponent to come in through that side doors.

If your straight punch can hit your opponent's hand and make his own hands to punch on his own face, he should get a rope, find a quite place, and hang himself. :)

Again, I still think baiting is too conservative. If you move your arms through your opponent's striking path before he has a chance to do so, you will put your opponent in defense mode. To me, that's more aggressive approach.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
IMO, not to let that attack to happen is always better than to let that attack to happen and then counter it.

To

- raise guard to bait for kick, or
- drop guard to bait for punch,

is good strategy. But the better strategy is "not to give your opponent that opportunity to attack". In order to do so, more strategies will be involved.
Denying your opponent the opportunity to attacks depends on how long each phase is and the distance. The actions that I put in Bold is what changes on my end. The rest stay fairly consistent.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Denying your opponent the opportunity to attacks ...
When you detect your opponent's intention to attack, in

- wrestling, you push his shoulder to prevent that shoulder from moving forward. Since you don't give your opponent any chance to generate his speed and power, you can interrupt his attack in the early stage.
- striking, you move your arm toward and between his attacking arm and his head. Since you don't give your opponent a valid striking path, you can interrupt his attack in the early stage.

Last edited:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
To anticipate is to guess. When training for the street, your paradigm must shift. When your life or the lives of your family may be on the line, you can't afford to be wrong. On the street, it's not sparring, it's not a game, you won't know your opponent(s) abilities, strategies, nor full intentions. You may be seriously outmatched by size, strength, age. There may be multiple attackers. They may have weapons. You don't care about looking fast. You simply need to stop the attack quickly while minimizing damage to yourself and loved ones. How to be fast when you are slow may be life or death. When one believes they are good enough to use reaction rather than action, then one is violating a basic Sun Tzu principle of never underestimating one's opponent. Why choose to start at a disadvantage? If the fight is inevitable and unavoidable, strike first and don't stop striking. Action is always faster than reaction.

I don't see anything that hasn't been said by many people here, and only one thing that you didn't say; that being that being the first to attack has possible legal risks where you have more burden in why you physically attacked first. Those risks may be more or less easily overcome in the legal system depending on the exact laws in the jurisdiction where the fight occurs.

Even so, for me, you still haven't shown why your system is better, or even equivalent to years of training. I am still willing to be convinced however, probably partly because my art is Hapkido.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
The title is a little bit misleading, which they kinda admit later in the article where they point out that the time it takes to process the stimuli of an action is 10 times greater than "the reaction advantage" which they apparently noted.

The simplified version: Reaction movements are 21 milliseconds faster than action movements but it takes 200 milliseconds to "respond" to an action.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

I have some doubts that the two types of testing are going to give useful answers. My biggest disbelief given the conclusions, is how the action time figures into the conclusion when computers were used.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have some doubts that the two types of testing are going to give useful answers. My biggest disbelief given the conclusions, is how the action time figures into the conclusion when computers were used.
If I hit you with a laptop, it increases my range, my about a foot, making me just a bit faster. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He stated computers not laptops. If I have to hit someone with an actual computer, I have to lift it first, which gives them time to react
If I left a door partway open, and placed the computer, on the wedge of the door, above, I need only wait for the bad guy to come get me. :)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I hit you with a laptop, it increases my range, my about a foot, making me just a bit faster. :)

Oh please Great Zen Master, tell us lowly and unworthy learner-wanna-bes how we can also increase speed by increasing distance. The meaning of life can then be complete. :);)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I left a door partway open, and placed the computer, on the wedge of the door, above, I need only wait for the bad guy to come get me. :)

Wow! Wow! So by forcing him to initiate the action, your speed increases. Brilliant use of quantum mechanics oh Great Zen Master. ;-) :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh please Great Zen Master, tell us lowly and unworthy learner-wanna-bes how we can also increase speed by increasing distance. The meaning of life can then be complete. :);)
It's a timing issue. I don't need to take the time to close the distance if the length of the laptop covers it for me. o_O

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Before timing, you have to be able to recognize that "opportunity".

recognize opportunity > good timing > correct angle > good balance > fast speed > strong power
Before time, huh? Timing is pretty much your ability to recognize those opportunities, choose a correct angle, use good balance, with or without speed, and with or without power. If it happened on a timeline, it was a function of timing. :)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Before time, huh? Timing is pretty much your ability to recognize those opportunities, choose a correct angle, use good balance, with or without speed, and with or without power. If it happened on a timeline, it was a function of timing. :)
- Recognize an opportunity is "knowledge" that's in your mind (you know how to do it).
- Respond with good timing is "skill" that's on your body (you have the ability to do it).

For example, when your opponent blocks your punch, your mind tell you that you have an opportunity to borrow his blocking force, change your straight punch into a hay-maker, and hit on the side of his head. Whether your body will be able to respond fast enough that's separate timing issue.

Old MA saying said, "If your don't spar/wrestle for 3 days, your arms and legs will no longer be yours." You mind may still be sharp enough to recognize a good opportunity when you see one. But your body may not be fast enough to respond to it (timing).

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
- Recognize an opportunity is "knowledge" that's in your mind (you know how to do it).
- Respond with good timing is "skill" that's on your body (you have the ability to do it).

For example, when your opponent blocks your punch, your mind tell you that you have an opportunity to borrow his blocking force, change your straight punch into a hay-maker, and hit on the side of his head. Whether your body will be able to respond fast enough that's separate timing issue.

Old MA saying said, "If your don't spar/wrestle for 3 days, your arms and legs will no longer be yours." You mind may still be sharp enough to recognize a good opportunity when you see one. But your body may not be fast enough to respond to it (timing).
Yeah, its all timing. You might say attitude is everything, but you would be wrong, because, just when did you develop that attitude? :cool:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are we not all little Timex's that wanna keep on ticking? Or, as we train, don't we go from: Cheap knock off; to Casio; To Timex; to Rolex? :happy:

lifelongstudent1

White Belt
Reaction score
Am sure a huge many covered it, what is more important than speed, is quality of technique. The old saying "slow is smooth and smooth is fast" is very true in martial arts. After you grasp the proper technique, timing is the next important hurdle. A person can be as fast as they want, but a person who can time the proper technique (even slowly) will win. The next important step, is to relax! This comes with what we talked about timing. Speed can only be gained by relaxation and timing. Take a simple "back fist", if we take our time and understand how to perform it properly and the application. Then we learn to relax, and only apply tension right before contact (timing), in truth we generate more power. Then we work on after the "strike", to relax to retract the movement. It takes time, relax, understand the technique, speed will come.

Latest Discussions