How silly are the Olympics...pretty darn silly.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was out having dinner and a television was on showing some track and field events, I guess leading up to the Olympics in Britain. This one event was the Three hop event or something, where a guy runs really fast, hops a distance to land on one leg, hops to the other leg and the jumps into the sand pit for distance. It looked incredibly silly. I think the Olympics are a pretty silly thing. I saw some jumping over the high bar and thought, if they are going for the record, they could just record the attempt and submit it, like they do for the Guiness book of world records, instead of all getting together. I'm not much of a fan of other organized sports anyway, I think all that time, and effort to put a ball through a hoop, kind of a waste. I would never want them banned, people are free to do with their time what they want, I just hope no tax dollars go into the Olympic silliness.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I love the Olympics. I really do. Like the ultimate international throw down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
billi, billi, billi.......

Don't you realize that the Olympics is the ultimate opportunity to demonstrate the true superiority of capitalism, freedom, and the American way-without dropping bombs on anyone?
:lfao:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I love the Olympics. I really do. Like the ultimate international throw down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree. I like winter Olympics better then summer but I usually watch swimming and track and field. I could do without basketball I think its silly to have a team full of NBA stars against everyone else

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I agree. I like winter Olympics better ....................

I dunno. Curling's pretty goddam silly. In fact, I'm pretty sure if you look up "silly" in the English Language Technical Manual, there's a picture of two guys in skates on the ice with brooms in their hands, skating backwards in front of a big 'ol rock...:lfao:

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I dunno. Curling's pretty goddam silly. In fact, I'm pretty sure if you look up "silly" in the English Language Technical Manual, there's a picture of two guys in skates on the ice with brooms in their hands, skating backwards in front of a big 'ol rock...:lfao:

Clearly those English know nothing...there are no skates used in curling. :viking3: :wavey:

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think for the athletes and most of the public watching the Olympics are a fine thing. For the athletes it is a chance to compete against other world caliber athletes and share a bit of comraderie with them. For the public it is a chance to come together and root for thier individual countries while at the same time appreciating athletes from other countries. Yeah, there are things that are messed up, but as a whole i think they are a good thing.

shinbushi

Green Belt
Reaction score
just remember who the Olympics are dedicated to ...

images

Zeus

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clearly those English know nothing...there are no skates used in curling. :viking3: :wavey:

It's in the American version! And curling was invented in Scotland.......

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It's in the American version! And curling was invented in Scotland.......
There is no American version of curling. The blame falls squarely on Canada... but as usual, like the older brother, we take the blame for everything bad they do. :)

just to add, the Olympics, specifically the way the Olympic committee functions, city selection and all of that, are rife with conflict. But the actual games themselves are terrific. And with the internet, it's even better. There was a stretch there where NBC coverage in America was so bad the Olympics were completely unwatchable. But now, I can stream entire events, including the ones that NBC doesn't think I should see. Like Judo, Wrestling, and Archery.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no American version of curling. The blame falls squarely on Canada... but as usual, like the older brother, we take the blame for everything bad they do. :)

just to add, the Olympics, specifically the way the Olympic committee functions, city selection and all of that, are rife with conflict. But the actual games themselves are terrific. And with the internet, it's even better. There was a stretch there where NBC coverage in America was so bad the Olympics were completely unwatchable. But now, I can stream entire events, including the ones that NBC doesn't think I should see. Like Judo, Wrestling, and Archery.

Not the American version of curling...the American version of the technical manual :)

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
He's obviously trolling you guys.

I love the Olympics. I'm a sports fan and it's a month solid packed with sports, international throw down in all sports.

But then I'm the guy who records and keeps games. Yes I have every single football game from the previous 2 world cups. I have every single Giants football game of the past 5 years. I love sports, sometimes I throw on a game because truly ... better than movies.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have sad news for you gys about the beach volleyball, the girls will most likely be wearing leggings and long sleeved tops due to the weather.

well then I agree with billi then the olympics are a waist

Latest Discussions