How silly are the Olympics...pretty darn silly.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a short while the Oylmpics brings people of different nationalities together, in the Olympic village people who normally would never speak to each other get on, you have the Arab nations talking to Israelis and vice versa because there's no pressure not to. People who are normally only fed information by their governments get a small slice of life outside their countries and those of us watching on our televisions can see that we all share the same emotions when winning, losing being injured etc. for the first time women from Saudi are being allowed to compete though sadly they won't be televised in their own country, the Olympic committee has said the team can't compete without women, it's a small start but it is a start. Already we have some very good Morrocan women competing. Countries like Ethiopia have outstanding athletes who bring pride to their country and speak for their people when among us, the richer nations. Sport however 'silly' does bring us together in a way that no other activity does, you could look upon it as a replacement for war but I think it is more than than, it gives people pride and empathy. How many times have the spectators applauded more loudly and cheered for the last runner than the first past the post? We do that because we appreciate the endeavour, the spirit and the sheer gutsiness of these athletes regardless of what country they come from, we will them on to finish. Would we do that for anyone of another nationality in any other activity? No, the Olympics does us all good in small ways.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is exactly what I said, Only the special forces count, forget the part where I said that I appreciate excellence in many things and also mentioned law enforcement. I have watched the Best Ranger competition, even back when it was called the Ranger Olympics, and I do think it is better than the Olympics. All of the participants are active duty in the military, they compete over a 3-4 day period with the only rest coming when they are waiting for the other 2 man teams to finish an event. The go through the entire Ranger handbook of military skills and requirements, non stop. It is really impressive. As compared to this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAC1qLiJSA8&list=LP7G4RX-JS_CY&index=1&feature=plcp

And again, if people feel like doing these sports, well, we all choose how we spend our time before we go to our reward, or punishment. I find the Olympic sports silly, simple as that. I also think basketball, baseball and football are pretty silly as well but I do understand their appeal to the athletes and those who participate, you can become famous and wealthy doing them. Is that why most do it, probably not, I just understand why so much effort is put into them.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And I should add as well that in Chicago, when it looked like we might get the Olympics, all the cronies of Mayor Daly and the other corrupt politicians were buying up property by the proposed Olympic sites. Further discussion along these lines is probably best suited to the study.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Curling your hair maybe! :D

Jenna,

It is all natural! If I grow long hair I have a natural 'Fro'. Bug ball of hair, I could pull from my forehead down past my chin, or collar down to mid back at its' longest. I prefer shorter now, easier to dry. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Games are silly? perhaps but wonderful things can happen because of them, lives changed, conditions improved and not just because someone became rich and famous. I've just finished watching the Tour de France with GB's Bradley Wiggins winning the Tour (American's Tejay van Garderen won the young riders jersey and finished in the top ten, a huge effort so I hope you're proud of him). 'Games' are character building and life enhancing. Bradley Wiggins was in kid a a fairly poor part of London, he had a dream of being a cycling champion, he went to the Olympics and became an Olympic champion, he put tremendous effort into being a road racer, a clean road racer btw, Team Sky along with Team Garmin are clean teams. Now he's a record breaker. What does that mean? It means more kids being inspired to become champions, to turn their lives areound, to aim for something. The cycling this afternoon was on mainstream television and has attracted hundreds of people into cycling, just for pleasure and fitness. Cycling is a relatively inexpensive sport to start, athletics is cheaper still, the triple jump, maligned in this thread, is something kids can do, something they can look at and say 'I can do that!'

How many lives have been changed by martial arts alone, I'm not a fan of Olympic TKD but as an inspiration for kids to start doing a physical activity it's wonderful! Boxing has long been used for poor kids to get out from under grinding poverty and make a better and worthwhile life, athletics does the same. Not everyone has access to expensive sport equipment but give kids a ball and they will play, whether it's football..American or the proper thing, Aussie rules,rugby, basketball or volleyball. Give them a stick and a ball and it's cricket, rounders or baseball etc. Watching the Olympics inspires and teaches that you can have a dream, you work for it and you'll get somewhere. People need to start looking outside their cost little worlds and see what sports and 'games' are doing for the poorer countries, for women and those who need some hope in their lives. There's kids in the UK now who have little hope of being anything or doing anything but they are looking at the kid from Kilburn London who became a champion and they are thinking..I can cycle, I wonder....'

Sneering at sports and games is a cheap shot, you have to look and see what the Olympics can actually do for people rather than belittle people's efforts. People like Jesse Owens, Jim Thorpe and Emil Zatopek.
http://www.olympics30.com/

Is this silly? http://www.britishcouncil.org/sport-about-international-inspiration.htm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldclass/18859342

http://terrischneider.com/blog/2012...utan-kind-requests-and-forging-possibilities/

Wilma-Rudolph-Olympic-Champion.png

“The potential for greatness lives within each of us.” –Wilma Rudolph, former Olympic track and field Champion (1960 Olympics ~ Rome)

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I remember seeing a program on the Olympics where the Chinese diving team was looked at by the journalist. The kids are rounded up by the government, are taken to the training center where their entire lives are essentially emcompassed by the pool, the mess hall and the dormitory. Not exactly the best way to experience the Olympics is it. So yes, there are good things that come from the Olympics, as there are good things that come from a whole bunch of other things in life. Keep in mind I mentioned that high school athletics were a good thing, keeps kids healthy and generally out of trouble, but the Olympics also come with a big down side, the corruption and the waste of tax money providing security and the other problems that come with it. So, are there good things to the Olympics, sure, are there bad things with the Olympics sure. For me, I think they are on the whole a silly thing.

For example, I really like watching two really good practioners of Naginata jutsu doing their art. Recently, there was a video of the naginata on the martial side, and I loved watching those people go through the movements. There is something about the classical japanese weapon arts that are captivating. They are still silly though. No one is going to use a naginata for self defense, trying to find the space to practice the art takes some doing, and the time spent doing that antiquated art could be spent with the family and all that stuff. However, I still like the art and if I had time and access and the teacher wasn't a jerk, I would love to do that art. It is still silly, but, that is where my DNA takes me to spend my time on this planet.

It should be noted, through this thread, people have made very nice defenses of the olympics and why they consider them important. I haven't called them names or trashed them in any way. Each of us thinks that different things are important and that others are silly. I stated I think that the Olympics are silly without criticizing anyone here who responded to my thread. Perhaps some need to grow up in the way they discuss topics on martialtalk and in response to other people.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One day soon I might un-ignore Bili to see what he says, at the moment though I shan't, though it is a tad odd reading people's posts then having a blank space. Still there's no left/right arguments while he's on ignore rolf.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think almost everything you post is pretty silly, and this one is close to the silliest of all...:lfao:

Silly billi! :lfao:

For the record, 14 active duty U.S. Army personnel alone are competing in this years Olympics, following a long standing tradition.

I'll keep an eye out for them if their events are shown. We have quite a few service people competing, one I know of is a Royal Marine in the heavyweight Judo division. Talking of 'games' these went down particularly well with our guys, http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/battle-back-news-achievements.html

SnyderD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
14 active service members are competing? That's awesome. I'll be looking out for them.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sneering at sports and games is a cheap shot, you have to look and see what the Olympics can actually do for people rather than belittle people's efforts. People like Jesse Owens, Jim Thorpe and Emil Zatopek.
http://www.olympics30.com/

Speaking of successful Olympians. There are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there that don't make the Olympics. If you've got Olympic medals - you didn't put that performance together. Somebody else made that happen!

:uhyeah:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of successful Olympians. There are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there that don't make the Olympics. If you've got Olympic medals - you didn't put that performance together. Somebody else made that happen!

:uhyeah:

However many Olympians are known for what they do outside the sporting arena as in providing role models and working for their people.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emil_Z%C3%A1topek

Most competitors know theirs isn't a solo effort and many work hard at giving back to their communities.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
14 active service members are competing? That's awesome. I'll be looking out for them.

That's just the Army-Capt. Weston Kelsey, USAF is on the fencing team, and a this Olympics makes him a three-time Olympian.

In addition to being an Olympian,welterweight Jamel Herring is a USMC boxer.

For the record: the designated hitter rule is silly. Interleague play is silly.

Not being a Yankee fan? Not silly at all

Being a Yankee hater, though, is just plain silly. :lfao:
.View attachment $483116_10151020942897451_922336362_n.jpg

This being a sports oriented thread, and all, this shameless plug of the best team in baseball seemed completely appropriate and necessary....:lfao:

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sooo...I posted this response to Post #26 over on the study and realized it could also be posted here...

You're either a troll or clueless. Maybe both.

Part of humanity is the pursuit of physical and athletic excellence and it's inherent in the martial arts. Without it martial arts aren't present. That is what the Olympics is all about.​

Apparently, with this rule about only two people from each country being allowed to go foward, regardless of their "...Physical and athletic excellence..." the olympics are no longer about "...physical and athletic excellence..." and are about fairness to under achievers...

But what if Wieber's 3rd place score was higher than the first place score received by a team member from another country? Technically it could happen, but the rules committee guards against it by erasing the scores of each individual gymnast once the two advancing team members have been decided.

Actually, I am neither a troll nor clueless since it isn't actually about physical or athletic excellence but letting some nations either feel better about themselves or as a way to boost the ratings by letting less physically or athletically excellent athletes continue to compete when others are more physically or athletically excellent than they are...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The Olympics are about awesomeness, and so far, London has done a pretty good job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Awesomeness...unless you are the third best athlete from a team with two awesome atheletes, but still better than the other countries...in that case, Awesome or not, you aren't going for the gold, silver or bronze. The less "awesome" athletes get that opportunity...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Awesomeness...unless you are the third best athlete from a team with two awesome atheletes, but still better than the other countries...in that case, Awesome or not, you aren't going for the gold, silver or bronze. The less "awesome" athletes get that opportunity...

They all know the rules. She lost. Too bad. It's still awesome. I'm sure she'll be far less bitter than you will, unless it becomes vogue for republicans to like the Games and then you'll do a complete 180. You're nothing if not consistent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with politics, the olympics, especially when they use tax dollars, are silly, in my opinion. The more closely you look at the corruption, and the silly rules meant to give lesser skilled athletes a competitive edge, in games supposedly based on seeking excellence, the sillier they become. Just today you had the silly behavior of several badmition teams deliberately throwing their games, in the open where everyone could see them doing it, in order to get better placement for the medals. It just gets sillier and sillier. Besides, my values aren't going to change with the political party, that is why they are values.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
billi, billi, billi.

You just don't get it, do you?

The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well.[SUP][/SUP]-the Olympic Creed

The most important thing is not to win but to take part!-Pierre de Coubertin-founder of the modern Olympics, quoting the Bishop of Pennsylvania's sermon at the 1908 games, for the unofficial motto of the games.

This rule exists for a very simple reason, billi-the games aren't about winning, or domination-though it's easy to take them that way, and the rule applies to every event in the games, and has existed for a long time.

Realistically, even without fielding a team of NBA all-stars, the United States Olympic committee could scour the playgrounds of Manhattan, the Bronx, Atlanta, LA/Compton, and...oh, Chicago and Detroit, perhaps, and field nine or ten teams that could easily beat the Tunisian basketball team. Or the French one. Or the Moroccan one. Or perhaps even the British one-and what would be the point of that?

As I posted earlier, the object of the Olympics is international fellowship through sport (through sport, today, anyway-the Olympics originally included submissions for art, and essays and poetry, but those events were abandoned early on-while we continue to keep tae kwon do and curling, and more's the pity...:lfao: )

It's also worth pointing out that the "stupid rule" is usually applied early on in international competition and participant selection-in events like track and field, or shooting anything: rifle, pistol, shotgun, or bow-or wrestling, or judo, or boxing, or swimming-it's usually a simple matter of who wins. There's little subjectivity involved in the scoring-though, for the combat sports, if there isn't a clear and decisive winner by points or finality (submisssion, knockout, pin) it may be more subjective-and clearly corrupt.

Gymnastics, on the other hand, is completely subjective-the participant's scores are wholly dependent upon judging. Thus the rule becomes glaringly stupid to some, and only fair to others.

Finally, billi-the Olympics aren't silly. A few of my friends in Los Alamos are wonderful runners-world class. I never had any hope of getting to the Olympics, and, really, neither did Dr. Erica Larson-even though she practically owned the Pike's Peak Marathon, won the Leadville Marathon twice, and nearly ran me into a heart attack at lunch once or twice. :lfao: In 2004, she finished 34th at the U.S. Women's Olympic Marathon Trials-something she continues to describe as her proudest moment as a runner. (Her husband, Miles Baron, is also a world-class marathoner, and I'm really, really, really looking forward to their kids' running careers...)

It's about participation, billi-it's not at all about "winning," or showing who's best-though individual nations-especially petty dictatorships, and especially ours-can certainly take it that way.There are world championships and other international competitions for that. It's about "taking part," and if some countries don't get that, or some athletes-well, that's human nature, and part of "sport," isn't it? There are always going to be those who, like you, just don't get it, and think that winning is the only thing......

The Olympics aren't silly at all, billi-but I don';t have to tell you who I think is silly, do I? :lfao: