How old are you and what MA to you train in?

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
19 and I currently study Moo Duk Kwan TKD! I also have a Wrestling background but thats been on hold since I tore up my shoulder a couple years ago

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
36, my primary art is Kenpo but I still train in Tang Soo Do and Kick Boxing and I am also contemplating joing Miller Martial Arts in Weston run by Peter Miller to try my hand at Kali, but to be honest I have not heard of him before and need to research him a little before I commit.

TKDTony2179

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Now for a next question. Where are you guys from?

Tupelo, Mississippi United States.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47 years old, and I teach and train in Filipino Martial Arts - Balintawak and Modern Arnis

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
70, if I only knew then what I know now. Okinawan GoJu karate. The empire state............. I'm really young for my age..:)

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That's kind of funny. I also took a 10 year break and started training again in my early 40's. I went back to Hapkido, still training and was promoted to 2nd dan over the summer.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm really curious to see the replies from this topic. I have been away for almost 10 years and trying to decide what to train in now that I'm in my early 40s.

Thanks. :)
Coker101, sorry if missed it, but what style was it you trained in before you left off for ten years or so?
I am 39 and study Okinawan Gojuryu Karate which I took up in early twenties, before then it was judo and TKD through primary and high school. I still compete when I can in full contact kickboxing and open karate (I'm looking at doing some point competitions this year - but I always hated sport karate before!). I am just as capable on a strength and technique level as when younger (not as fight fit though due to having to earn bucks all the time), but am now finding if I do get hurt it takes a lot longer to recover, that's the main bummer!! I would think you could take up any style at your age (particularly if you have a decent background) be it tai chi or muay thai, but if you ar going to look at competing, and particularly if you have been away for some time, the harder contact styles might not be so forgiving on you in your 40s. Or maybe it's just me that's suffering from a loss of the elixir of youth! : )

I must admit some of the age postings on this thread have surprised me a bit!! But in a good way, would be nice if I can keep MA as part of my life for another 30 years or more!

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's kind of funny. I also took a 10 year break and started training again in my early 40's. I went back to Hapkido, still training and was promoted to 2nd dan over the summer.

I started Hapkido in my mid 40s, earning a 2nd Dan before I left Korea. I trained to 3rd Dan, but was never tested, it didn't seem important. I just wanted the learning.

I don't think age should be a bar to some type of MA training. I may soon start TKD with my grandson to get him interested.

I haven't seen anyone older. If I do, I will admit to my youth. :lol:

OP
C

Coker101

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Coker101, sorry if missed it, but what style was it you trained in before you left off for ten years or so?

I trained in a few different things throughout my life. Trained in Karate, Judo and Jujitsu at the Houston Budokan...most of it when I was a kid.

Then later Kuk Sool Won for a couple years. Once my wife got put on bed rest training came to an end. Never went back because I didn't feel like Kuk Sool was what I was looking for.

Training in Aikido now....love Aikido just wish I was picking it up faster and that I was n better shape. :)

Latest Discussions