Early 40s...stiff as a board..out of shape..aikido vs bjj

OldManJim

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Basically the thread title says it all. I'm early 40s, could stand to lose 20 lbs and have become stiff from inactivity. I'd like to try bjj but I don't know if I could hang. It's closer to me than the aikido school, but I've heard aikido is good for "old people" lol. I've got some mild carpal tunnel too and most mornings I wake up with stiff joints, especially my knees. I'm really leaning towards bjj but I don't want to get injured because I'm like a board! Is bjj good for loosening a person up? How about aikido?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exercise is good for loosening a person up. Doesn't matter which. What matters is how diligently you apply yourself to stretching.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's a progression. So like anything you start with simple stuff until you can physically handle harder stuff.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Okay, I'm stiff as a board, 20 lbs over weight, and am just returning to bjj after a pretty long layoff. It's brutal right now, but the lbs are already coming off and I'm beginning to feel better. I know that if I go 3 times every week, im good. I'm losing about 3 to 5 lbs every week, and will be back in shape in no time.

Just don't compete against the kids. Relax, don't get prideful and know your limits,so you can push them intelligently. Take care of your body, eat right and invest in a big bottle of arnica.

You can easily do bjj, and once you understand that you're onky goal is to do better tomorrow than you did today, you will be fine.

Keep us posted. Us old, stiff guys need to stick together. :)

OP
O

OldManJim

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What are your goals?
My goals are to lose weight, get better cardio, learn to defend myself/family and just try something new.
Okay, I'm stiff as a board, 20 lbs over weight, and am just returning to bjj after a pretty long layoff. It's brutal right now, but the lbs are already coming off and I'm beginning to feel better. I know that if I go 3 times every week, im good. I'm losing about 3 to 5 lbs every week, and will be back in shape in no time.

Just don't compete against the kids. Relax, don't get prideful and know your limits,so you can push them intelligently. Take care of your body, eat right and invest in a big bottle of arnica.

You can easily do bjj, and once you understand that you're onky goal is to do better tomorrow than you did today, you will be fine.

Keep us posted. Us old, stiff guys need to stick together. :)
I've never done bjj before, although I did do karate several years ago. I'm just out of shape bad from sitting all day and eating junk at work. My cardio sucks and to be honest I'm a little bit scared to try bjj, even though the coach I talked to assured me he doesn't expect me to keep up just do my best. And what is arnica?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bjj.

And, it's closer. Win, win in my opinion. I really think you're going to enjoy this.....if that's the way you go.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Most martial arts schools will let you take an intro class for free, or do some kind of cheap trial membership for a bit. So you could always give both places a shot and see which you like better.

Chester Wright

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Stick with Jiu Jitsu, develope a stretching routine and drill the basics and positioning constantly. You will loosen up.

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well, I think I can chime in here. I started Aikido around the age of 40, am in my mid forties now, and have just started Judo and BJJ.

A couple of things....while Aikido CAN be a little gentler, the ukemi in Aikido can be quite advanced and difficult. Most older students find that this is the hardest thing to get comfortable with and used to. We've had many older students start, and then quit because they couldn't adjust to the ukemi, even at very gentle progressive levels. I've lost weight, and gained a significant amount of flexibility from Aikido.

I've just started BJJ and Judo...I find the cardio aspects much higher in these than Aikido. It's hard to comment on the flexibility part, as I've already been doing Aikido for years.

I agree with staying away from the meatheads. If you are going to do BJJ, make sure it's a friendly BJJ place, and not an MMA factory with a lot of young, overly aggressive guys. We have 3 BJJ places in town here, and the one I'm at is the friendly, low key place. In fact, the teacher will remove students that are not a good "fit" if you know what I mean. The other 2 places have a reputation for being all about MMA and competition, which if you are in your 40's is not something you are likely interested in.

OP
O

OldManJim

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't know about the meatheads. I talked to the coach...it's a place that teaches basic, advanced and no Gi bjj as well as Muay Thai. I explained to him my situation and he assured me I could do it. He offered me a free class and said I could talk to him afterwards with any concerns I might have. I know there are probably a few people that are training mma there but it's a small town city so it'd be for some local shows only. I know the instructor does do NAGA competition and won a couple at expert division. I'm honestly just kind of a little scared to try..afraid I may get hurt because I'm so out of shape or hurt someone because I'm so awkward. And since my joints aren't that good I'm afraid I could get really injured. Am I just jousting with windmills here or are those legitimate concerns. I don't want to not go and then regret it!

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can't imagine that you won't love BJJ is the club is nice and chill. My favourite part of Judo is the newaza, probably in part because I find the throws difficult and standing randori terrifying.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know about the meatheads. I talked to the coach...it's a place that teaches basic, advanced and no Gi bjj as well as Muay Thai. I explained to him my situation and he assured me I could do it. He offered me a free class and said I could talk to him afterwards with any concerns I might have. I know there are probably a few people that are training mma there but it's a small town city so it'd be for some local shows only. I know the instructor does do NAGA competition and won a couple at expert division. I'm honestly just kind of a little scared to try..afraid I may get hurt because I'm so out of shape or hurt someone because I'm so awkward. And since my joints aren't that good I'm afraid I could get really injured. Am I just jousting with windmills here or are those legitimate concerns. I don't want to not go and then regret it!
honestly you might get hurt training any style but you should be fine with whatever you choose. bJJ is fun try it and see if you like it. Go try the Aikido school to see how you like it. Then make an,educated choice

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Sounds like a legit club. I think you'll be fine. It never hurts to try. There is a greater risk of you hurting someone else than vice-versa. You will likely be paired off with more advanced students to make sure you stay safe. Don't worry about it. Ground fighting is super fun. You'll be hooked (see what I did there?) instantly.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
They are legitimate concerns, but it's really up to you. This is a contact sport, just like any other. Tap early, tap often and don't overdo it. Bjj is terrific and while it can be intense, you will not regret it.

Expect to be sore and bruised, particularly at first. Just focus on yourself and your own limits. And if you tap early and often, you will minimize any risk to your joints.

If you're really concerned about your joints, and even if you're not, consider a sports physical.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My advice would be to go and try both out with a free class. See which one you like and which instructor you would like to learn from. That will go a long way in determining which place you train and stick with!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you're really concerned about your joints, and even if you're not, consider a sports physical.

Hmmmm... and if you find out that you actually do have joint problems? I do. Fused ankles, some knee operations with limited range of motion, herniated discs (L-5, S-1) and I'm 60. Yeah, and I'm 20+ lbs. overweight too (working on that). A few years back while recovering from sciatic pain and numbness from my disk problem, one PT told me to give up all "that stuff" i.e. the martial arts. He was a nice older man so I didn't tell him the response that popped into my mind. :mad:

In fact I found a really nice BJJ school and was about to add that to my WC and Escrima. I figured the instructor could probably help me work around my age and limitations. God, it looked like fun! But ultimately I held back ...also out of fear of injury. Not training injuries, mind you. No, I'm talking about the life threatening type that my wife promised she'd inflict on me if I started yet another martial art. :(

So to the OP: If you don't have a significant other laying down the law, I'd say go for it. Now. While you can.
I never met a good instructor who didn't take pride in helping people improve. That's their job and passion! :)

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Basically the thread title says it all. I'm early 40s, could stand to lose 20 lbs and have become stiff from inactivity. I'd like to try bjj but I don't know if I could hang.

There are some old guys and new old guys in BJJ. Most everyone will encourage you. You will have a very tough time with the warm up exercise. There's no shame to take it easy, taking many breaks. Most people can't do the warmup w/o gassing when they first started, so we've all been there. Buy an elastic back brace, and wear it during training.

Aikido and Traditional JJ will wreck your wrists, starting out as an old guy. I hated TJJ, because of the the wrist locks, thumb locks and crap. BJJ can wreck you also, but there's not as much focus on wrist holds, small joint locks and throws which causes damage real fast. This is where you go slow and don't try to compete with the 20 year olds.

Latest Discussions