How much time does your club devote to Ho Shin sul (grappling)?

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ho shin sul stands for self defence but is really the grappling content of TaeKwonDo.

In my ITF Chang Hon TaeKwonDo dojang we had Ho Shin Sul once a month for 10-15 minutes. This consisted of various clockwise and counter clockwise joint manipulations. Hip throws were not taught but are part of it and can be integrated for the grading session. I believe Ho Shin Sul gradings start for black belt tests in ITF. I don't recall doing them for my red belt test. It is not performed against resistance.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
We are a USTF School. Each Gup level has certain USTF requirements for HSS. In order to differentiate it from Step Sparring it must have a component of a release from a grab / hold. Throw / takedown / sweep. Joint attack, Pressure point utilization. In addition there is a separate USTF weapons and ground component. On top of the hat I have some background in traditional Ju Jitsu as well as a smattering of BJJ which I integrate.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We are a USTF School. Each Gup level has certain USTF requirements for HSS. In order to differentiate it from Step Sparring it must have a component of a release from a grab / hold. Throw / takedown / sweep. Joint attack, Pressure point utilization. In addition there is a separate USTF weapons and ground component. On top of the hat I have some background in traditional Ju Jitsu as well as a smattering of BJJ which I integrate.

How about when you did ITF?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Better of just straight wrestling.

It will teach a lot more about how your body works in a fight

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Better of just straight wrestling.

It will teach a lot more about how your body works in a fight

Tell that to modern BJJ schools. They don't wrestle either due to safety reasons and incompetent instructors. No sparring standing up.

As I said, there is Judo in Taekwondo but for the same reason BJJ schools skip it, ours does too.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tell that to modern BJJ schools. They don't wrestle either due to safety reasons and incompetent instructors. No sparring standing up.

As I said, there is Judo in Taekwondo but for the same reason BJJ schools skip it, ours does too.

I tell that to everyone.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

So what’s your experience in bjj?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
So what’s your experience in bjj?
Initial experience in the 1970's was more traditional Ju Jitsu (My first martial art was a short stint in Judo - sufficient for some basic falls and throws) (Not a lot of groundwork.). Guy came to TKD school to improve his striking and when we saw what he could do if he got a hold of us we decided to train with him to learn how to do and defend against that stuff. Later he became chair of the USJA Ju Jitu division. Many continued to train with him at his school and then the UFC debut, and many decided to explore BJJ . Sadly, not enough for me in my younger days. . Went to some workshops with some guys who all shared the same last name. Royce, Rickson, Reylson, Carlson jr., Renzo, Couple of years ago joined a local BJJ school . Loved it but after about 8 months I tore a rotater cuff. And stopped. Then Covid hit. Have not yet had surgery for the rotater cuff.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Initial experience in the 1970's was more traditional Ju Jitsu (My first martial art was a short stint in Judo - sufficient for some basic falls and throws) (Not a lot of groundwork.). Guy came to TKD school to improve his striking and when we saw what he could do if he got a hold of us we decided to train with him to learn how to do and defend against that stuff. Later he became chair of the USJA Ju Jitu division. Many continued to train with him at his school and then the UFC debut, and many decided to explore BJJ . Sadly, not enough for me in my younger days. . Went to some workshops with some guys who all shared the same last name. Royce, Rickson, Reylson, Carlson jr., Renzo, Couple of years ago joined a local BJJ school . Loved it but after about 8 months I tore a rotater cuff. And stopped. Then Covid hit. Have not yet had surgery for the rotater cuff.
I was asking the OP....mainly because he seems to know anything and everything about every single style on earth

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can you just leve me alone as.you promised? I'll. Do it for you. Say hello to ignore
why you getting upset? I just asked a basic question because you spoke about what happens in bjj schools so I was curious what your experience with it is. Nothing wrong with asking that.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
the ITA tried to integrate weapons and non-striking techniques around 2010.
they offered short stick and sword, and threw some Hanmudo in.
Shortstick took off, the instructor didn't like swords so e never did that, but Hnamudo was great fun.
Which then morphed into BJJ, and then got nerfed to a company version of it.

But with a packed schedule, 6 days a week, there was only one night for the electives, and they had to take turns, the grappling became the more popular (I don't like it), so the rest fell by the wayside.
I think Hanmudo was eventually phased out as well, as the the last attempt to keep anything Korean in the organization.
Master Kimm was very popular though with clinic attendants. A very gracious man, I heard.

So, the answer is 'not much'

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
About 5 minutes/class in kids classes, 10-15 minutes in adult classes.

It's a lot harder right now, because of COVID.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
About 5 minutes/class in kids classes, 10-15 minutes in adult classes.

It's a lot harder right now, because of COVID.

How frequently though, before Corona?

Latest Discussions