How much of your primary sacred writings have you read?

How much of your religion's main sacred writings have you read?

• Select / prescribed verses only.

• 0-25%

• 26-50%

• 51-75%

• 76-100%

• Read it all the way through once.

• Have read it completely and repeatedly.

Results are only viewable after voting.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is a question for those of all faith persuasions with the caveat that there is one main text considered to be the sacred literature for that faith.

Honestly, now and please approximate as close as is reasonably possible.

Please also limit your reply to reading the main sacred text to your religion only - I will have another thread soon about reading texts from other scriptures.

Thank you!

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was raised a Baptist and have read both the Old and New Testament in their entirety several times. Although, truth be told, my memory gets a little fuzzy on the details from time to time.

In recent years, I have moved away from pouring over "sacred literature" and am more interested in reading the accounts of individual philosophers and mystics over the centuries. It is much more relevant material, in my opinion.

To that end, I would highly recommend The Ascent To Truth by Thomas Merton and Mysticism: Christian and Buddhist by D. T. Suzuki.

Laterz.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My path and current direction is similar to heritic's. I was raised in an Apostolic Pentacostal family and have read both the old and new testaments, but I am fuzzy on alot of details. I personally have moved away from that to other things and idealogies.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My primary text is the Christian Bible. I own the NKJV, specifically.

I've read most of it. All of the New and the lion's share of the Old. I get stuck skipping over most of Numbers and the law books each and every time.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Officially, my scriptures are only in one language.

I do not read that language, so, I'm voting for "Select/Proscribed..."

I know quote a bit of the stories and a lot of the philosophy. In terms of reading it cover to cover? Eh...either I'll be moved to do so, or moved to slide to a different path. I leave that up to Him.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Being Jewish, the primary religious text is the Tanakh, or the first 5 books of the Old Testament (also called the Septuagent), along with the rest of the Old Testament, or Haftorah, comprised of Nevi'im (Prophets) and Kh'thuvim (Writings) which are considered "supplementary". In Judaism, a selected portion of the Tanakh, and then a selected portion of either the Haftorah, are read each week at services; the Torah and Haftorah readings are topics of discussion throughout the week.

In addition to reading the Old Testament as part of weekly services, I have also read the Old and New Testaments completely (in isolation and for religious studies classes).

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kacey said:
Being Jewish, the primary religious text is the Tanakh, or the first 5 books of the Old Testament (also called the Septuagent), along with the rest of the Old Testament, or Haftorah, comprised of Nevi'im (Prophets) and Kh'thuvim (Writings) which are considered "supplementary". In Judaism, a selected portion of the Tanakh, and then a selected portion of either the Haftorah, are read each week at services; the Torah and Haftorah readings are topics of discussion throughout the week.

In addition to reading the Old Testament as part of weekly services, I have also read the Old and New Testaments completely (in isolation and for religious studies classes).

Kacey Shalom, I have to agree with you the old testiment and the torah also.
Terry

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kacey said:
Being Jewish, the primary religious text is the Tanakh, or the first 5 books of the Old Testament (also called the Septuagent. . .

Just a minor point here, Kacey.

The Septugaint refers to the Greek transliteration of the Torah (not just the Tanakh) made during the third and first centuries BCE. It is by no means what you would consider an entirely accurate translation, either, as much of translation was done to harmonize Jewish scripture with Greek philosophy and religion.

I personally doubt the Septugaint gets read much in most synagogues. ;)

Laterz.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
heretic888 said:
Just a minor point here, Kacey.

The Septugaint refers to the Greek transliteration of the Torah (not just the Tanakh) made during the third and first centuries BCE. It is by no means what you would consider an entirely accurate translation, either, as much of translation was done to harmonize Jewish scripture with Greek philosophy and religion.

I personally doubt the Septugaint gets read much in most synagogues. ;)

Laterz.

I am aware and agree... but more people are familiar with the term Septuagent than Tanakh, and for those people, the term is meaningful.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am a Christian, and have read through two different English translations of the bible (New International Version and the New Living Translation), both Old and New Testament. I've also read through the entire New Testament at least two more times. I am not a bible scholar by any stretch, but I can find my way around the bible quite adeptly. :)

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Been through the Old and New Testaments more than once. More than twice- and still try to get some reading done every day.

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Some of the writtings I treat as storys or hear say.Others I treat as good acounts of history,Yet there is a little I deam as truely facts or exact.That 1% is what I use as justified &, it is easy for any one to utilise its contex & obtain spiritual ways.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All of the New Testament several times (King Jame's Version). I have the audio by Charlton Heston and it is very good. I've also read much of the Old Testament - but not enough.

Good question because I think a lot of folks have not really read their scripture in its entirety (I include all faiths here).

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
All of several versions of the New and Old Testaments, when I was a Christian, as well as since then.

There aren't any real "scriptures" for what most of my religious "faith" now...

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Read all of the bible quite a few times. Learn something new each time :)

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've read through a number of Bibles. In college I wrote a paper for a World Religion's class that compared different versions of the Bible. When I was a Christian, however, I rarely read any of the sacred writings. They weren't important to me.

Now, as an atheist, I don't read many religious writings. However, I do lurk on most of the threads about them on MT.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've read each of the standard works at least once in the past couple years (Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants and Pearl of Great Price); some twice.

That reminds me, it's time to get back at it.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
I have the audio by Charlton Heston and it is very good.

I quote the late great George Burns: "Charlton Heston is a fine actor... but then he only played Moses."
(couldn't resist)

I voted (honestly) 51-75% of the KJV of the bible. I've read through some modern translations where they get rid of all the Thee's and Thou's and Thine's and all that... but still refer to the KJV of it.
Also read a bit of the Korhan <sic> and parts of the Book of Mormon.
Basically still trying to find my religious center. But feel pretty solid with what I believe currently (as evident from my previous posts on the subject of God, Christ and the theology around that.
I've read some Buddist writings and portions of the Tao as well.
Even read a few chapters in the Black Bible (aka Satantic Bible) to further broaden my perspective... that was only once and haven't gone back to it since... the book made me feel creeped out pretty bad.

I hope to wind my way through the rest or missed portions of the KJV of the Bible as well as the others aforementioned. There's still a hellva lot to learn about my (chosen) God and his doctrine. Guess I'll never learn it all really.
But, I continue to do my best.

Riddle: Why do the elderly seem to really get into reading the bible?
They're studying for their final exam. :D

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ray said:
I've read each of the standard works at least once in the past couple years (Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants and Pearl of Great Price); some twice.

That reminds me, it's time to get back at it.

:asian:

Latest Discussions