Sacred Cows in the Martial Arts

Bigdavid5.0

White Belt
Reaction score
it depends. Some of them are, others feel free to change things however they want.

I'd put my money on the guys who believe that alignment is important, and there is actually a right way to go about things, than the guys who think it's all wide open for interpretation, and who have no concept of a solid foundation.
No doubt about it.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
it depends. Some of them are, others feel free to change things however they want.

I'd put my money on the guys who believe that alignment is important, and there is actually a right way to go about things, than the guys who think it's all wide open for interpretation, and who have no concept of a solid foundation.
Agreed. There IS some room for interpretation, and the actual strikes you do can be changed, but the overall ideas have remain. They're there for a reason and otherwise its just a completely different idea. It's like saying that WC shouldn't focus on the central line...yeah i suppose you can do it, but you're ignoring the purpose of the art, and rendering it a lot less effective.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As far as the comments about having a 'perfect neutral bow' or other stances/strikes...yes, if you are in a fight, you don't have the time to make sure every movement is perfect. That is why you make them all perfect in practice and drills, so that when you get in the fight, they are done in the way they are supposed to be done without thought. then everything's "perfect" (or close to it) without having to waste time focusing on all the minute problems.

Unfortunately, I can't comment on the rest of the post, since I may have misunderstood BUT from the EPAK instructors I've met, they seem to know what they're talking about, answer my questions when I ask, and as far as I know actually studied with the people they claimed to (although to me it doesn't matter how pure your lineage is, as long as what you teach makes sense and is effective).