How much mileage from a punch?

Talon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely none. But isn't that the point of a ninja? You can't see them?

Sorry I couldn't leave this one alone.

More specifically on topic, I know a guy who only trains 1 technique. It's a double punch, where he has one fist over the top of the other, both vertical. He also does iron fist training. (Not sure how his arthritis is going to be in a few years, but that's not the point, his punches HURT.)

The power generation for this punch is a rolling move. And this is all he trains, this one punch at different heights and angles. He can deflect with his forearms as he's rolling and punch straight through, form perfect. I've seen him take down pretty much anyone stupid enough to come against him. Would it be good legally? Depends on the situation. Is it enough? Well, I've never seen a grappler get in close, anyone trying to lock him up he just rolls his arms out of it and punches them.

It takes the saying about 10,000 reps to stupid extremes. As far as I'm aware, he's been doing this for over 20 years, with over 1000 reps a day. A quick use of the calculator tells me that's a bare minimum of 7,300,000 repetitions.

So in short a 'good' punch is extremely powerful and all you need. It just depends on your punch, how you use it and where you have refined it to the point that you really don't need anything else.

Good stuff! I would love to see that guys punching!:ultracool

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Developing good punches is a critical part of any striking martial arts' fundamentals. If you can't throw a good punch, then you need to work on your basic technique, until you're capable of doing so.

How much mileage can you get? A lot... After all, those who practice boxing (yes, it's a martial art) are going to be formidable opponents in and out of the ring. Outside the ring, where a fight is going to be a quick thing, using only one kind of punch could very well be enough to finish the fight. Furthermore, you're not likely to be going up against highly skilled fighters on the streets.

However, if it's in the ring, then the opponent is going to be a skilled fighter, and will develop strategies to counteract that one technique, at which point, the individual is going to run into a roadblock.

The same holds true in Karate, where a good lead hand punch, and a good reverse punch can certainly be plenty for street fighting purposes, but for fighting against skilled opponents, you're going to need more than that, since skilled fighters will adjust.

Think of it this way... It's like preparing food for someone. If they're in need of a quick snack, then some bread can do the job, and do it quite nicely. However, if they're in need of a full fledged meal, then the old saying of "man cannot live on bread alone" applies here.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your answers and thoughts here.

Here's kind of what I'm thinking about...it's pretty easy to fall into a bunch of complicated responses in dealing with an attack. Guy punches at me, I gotta step here and do this block and then hit him like this here, and like that there, and then this other way here...

or guy grabs me, I gotta step here and then do this fancy move to release his hold, and then I can hit him 10 different ways...

Maybe this is just my kenpo background talking, but it just seems like it's really easy to think that we need a bunch of complicated maneuvers to deal with these things.

But I've been thinking, what about something simple, like a punch. Not necessarily just one punch. You might need to punch him a couple or several times. But do we really need all the fancy escapes and whatnot?

Guy throws a punch at me: avoid the punch (those particulars may be for another discussion), then punch him.

Guy grabs you by the shirt: punch him.

Guy grabs your arm: punch him with your other hand...

Guy trys to push you, just punch him...

See where I'm going with this? Maybe in a lot of cases (I'm not saying ALL cases) this is all that is really necessary. Just punch him.

This is not to discount the need for other things. Sometimes you get grabbed in a way that you cannot simply punch. You need to know how to break his hold and reposition yourself. Sometimes you get that punch or kick coming at you, and you need to know how to step to evade, and block or jam that attack first before you can punch him. He may try to push you and he's coming in fast, you need to deflect or otherwise deal with that push first, before you can punch him. But maybe, like CLFSEAN mentioned, that punch itself can even serve at least some of those needs. The punch can jam, the punch can block...

So I recognize the need for some more skills in the arsenal. But just maybe the need for those other skills doesn't really come up all too often. Maybe in a lot of cases, "just punch him" is all the answer you need.

Just thinking again...

Last edited:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
At work so I can't read everything. One punch has worked well for street fighters for ever, so I do feel that you can get a lot of milage out of it. They do call it the sucker punch...........
icon7.gif