how many laps does your belt do?

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We wrap ours twice, but as my belt is a size 7 (that's what they had, and I wasn't complaining! :lol: ) I could probably get it around me three times! If I wrapped it once the ends would hit the floor ;)

jim

HelloKitty

Green Belt
Reaction score
In my new school they give people little belts, I dont know why. For example, my dobok is 4 and my belt is 1. I hate that, because I used to wrap my belt twice, LOL. For my husband is worst because his dobok is 7 but his belt is 0 o_O

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Two laps. Sort of counter-intuitive, but if you have a size 3 uniform, you'd wear a size 3 belt, right? Would that belt fit properly if it were wrapped 1x? 3X?

For those who use single wrap belts, do these have a size different from that of your dobak?

Miles

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
To get back to the original question.

Not nearly as many times as 15 years ago, strange how belt sizes have shrunk over the years. :vu:
Bydand, you stole my idea. ;) Actually, maybe you stole my waist size. :uhyeah:

I can remember when a size 5 went around twice--easily. Now, I gotta have an 8 just to make any kind of knot. Good thing I'm the instructor and can make up a story for why the knot looks so funny and the ends so short. :D

HelloKitty

Green Belt
Reaction score
Two laps. Sort of counter-intuitive, but if you have a size 3 uniform, you'd wear a size 3 belt, right? Would that belt fit properly if it were wrapped 1x? 3X?

For those who use single wrap belts, do these have a size different from that of your dobak?

Miles
I asked today and they told me they gave us more little belts because they want us to use a single-wraped one. I don't know more, but I'll ask the grand master next time.

Logan

Green Belt
Reaction score
This may sound strange to some but we have been instructed that te belt should lap around our waists once and this is to represent the following:-

Gain victory with one blow!
Serve one master.

there is one more but its late and the nogging is not doing its job at the moment.

Perhaps the third one is to trip you up? I've never seen one wrap before...even the fatties manage two... then again I don't really look at that area much in training.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score

Miles
The belt that came with the dobak I ordered from Comdo a while back had a single wrap belt included with it, same size tag as the uniform.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Haha! My belt goes around my waist twice. It crosses itself in the back. That is our way. Haha! --> the belt is worn out a little bit where it USED to have the knot. The knot is in a different place now, because my waist is bigger. Though not as handsome because of this, I still wear it, because that is my PRIDE!

Robert

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We use double wrap belts, as do most martial arts schools, org.s etc.

Yep we do. The children I teach keep telling me though their belts should go round their waists and not round their heads gagging them.

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Single wrap belts are nothing more than a cost-saving measure for the instructor. They didn't even come on the scene until a couple of years ago. Sorry, as far as I'm concerned they rank (pun intended) right there with velcro and camo belts.

Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

I agree 100%. But I am thinking the velcro backed belts might be good for really young children

Latest Discussions