How I train my horse stance

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sure, but why would I rise up on my toes, to thrust? It is more a steady downhill slide.
, because it makes you taller to hit downwards over their guard, you use the rise to propel you forward increasing your momentum. It's a pretty standard boxing punch. It's not a new invention of mine

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
, because it makes you taller to hit downwards over their guard, you use the rise to propel you forward increasing your momentum. It's a pretty standard boxing punch. It's not a new invention of mine
Thrusting and hooking over the top, are not the same thing.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thrusting and hooking over the top, are not the same thing.
no the same,I'm 6.1 tall that 6.6 when I'm on my toes, if I get a bit of elevation that 6.8 . I'm not hooking ng over the top I'm hitting downwards at the same time my full body weight is falling

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
no the same,I'm 6.1 tall that 6.6 when I'm on my toes, if I get a bit of elevation that 6.8 . I'm not hooking ng over the top I'm hitting downwards at the same time my full body weight is falling
If your elbow is not anchored, and on center line, it is a falling over hand.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. This sounds cool, and we do something similar, but it is different.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I cant think of any strike that hits on the downward fall like that. Exept mabye an axe kick or something. Do you have a photo?

I mean an overhand will generally rely on a deep stance.
images

A superman punch you get up off the ground. But it is an airborne technique.

images

Last edited:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I cant think of any strike that hits on the downward fall like that. Exept mabye an axe kick or something. Do you have a photo?

images

images
He is saying, just tip forward, and punch down.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
you generate power by going up on you toes, falling into you target,giving forward moment, body rotation and speed of movement. This actual increases your height advantage meaning you punching downwards , over their guard
Wow. I'll have to open another thread about how I generate power lol. You are the first person I have ever heard to say that. Congrats.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow. I'll have to open another thread about how I generate power lol. You are the first person I have ever heard to say that. Congrats.
We have a thing where you catch yourself with a punch to his body, and you can lift your lead leg, because, he has got you, but we aren't leaners, unless we are trying to rest. o_O

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
From what you are describing the mechanics of what you are saying sound off. I try to picture myself trying to hit a kid with your technique (because the height difference would be similar) but I don't see the mechanics being effective. Why rise to punch down when you are taller when you can just move forward?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From what you are describing the mechanics of what you are saying sound off. I try to picture myself trying to hit a kid with your technique (because the height difference would be similar) but I don't see the mechanics being effective. Why rise to punch down when you are taller when you can just move forward?
Go forward. Move ahead! Anyways, it is because that take-down opportunity, is not allowed, in the boxing ring.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

images

images

The superman punch is the only punch that I can think of that's sounds rises and lean forward.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
IMPORTANT! IMPORTANT! IMPORTANT! This video is not a style vs style video or a "who fights better video" This video is of a bunch of guys who got together to spar to learn. This video is not a TRUE TEST of a complete fighting skill set that they may or may not possess. What this video does show are students working on various techniques and strategies found within their system and or within their own assumptions of what they think they can do as an attack or defense, that may or may not be in line with the system that they train. I respect everyone in the video and I think highly of their efforts to train and learn. You'll hear people enjoy themselves, laugh, and encourage others. Please do not take these videos out of context.

Now on the discussion of the horse stance. In the video you will see me (in the red shirt, red head gear) use various stance levels. In order to understand how stances are important, you'll need to watch what happens when a person is in a high vs when a person is in a low stance. As stated before none of the fighters are fighting with their full capabilities. I know for a fact that I was working on 2 techniques. Low stance and a Jow Ga basic combination. You will also see another guy just working on take downs as he does not throw any strikes. You will also see student break contact when the command was giving. RULES OF THE SPARRING Rounds: No kicking.

In relation to stances, you'll see me fight in a low stance, move in a low stance, and drop into a low stance. You will also see the effects of this. This horse stance that I use here is to stand my ground. It is not the highly mobile horse stance that I use to attack with. I may have an example of that or at least the training of it.

Ive said it before - you've got very good wrestling instincts. I'm constantly impressed, especially for a guy who I'm pretty sure you said you never wrestled before. Your timing and mechanics to get into throwing positions and your timing and mechanics when avoiding being thrown/taken down are solid.

Looking at your low stance, do you get swept often? It seems like you're susceptible to it, but being susceptible and actually getting swept a lot aren't one in the same.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The superman punch is the only punch that I can think of that's sounds rises and lean forward.
think of it more as a tennis serve, you rising on your toes bringing the arm over and then make ng contact with both the force os your forward momentum and the fall of your body weight

nb clearly you arm isn't at tennis levels of,extension, but its the same mechanic of generating significant energy

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ive said it before - you've got very good wrestling instincts. I'm constantly impressed, especially for a guy who I'm pretty sure you said you never wrestled before. Your timing and mechanics to get into throwing positions and your timing and mechanics when avoiding being thrown/taken down are solid.

Looking at your low stance, do you get swept often? It seems like you're susceptible to it, but being susceptible and actually getting swept a lot aren't one in the same.
Thanks

I've only been swept once in my life and that is from the other instructor that I had been training. For the longest he had the hardest time getting the sweep and it didn't take much for me to avoid or counter it. Then one day, the light bulb came on and he finally understood that technique. I was in a high stance when it happened and the only thing I remember is feeling my root being moved and me laying on the ground. I don't remember the actual fall. It was a kind sweep so no injuries. He's the only one. I won't let it happen again now that I know he understands how to make the technique work lol.

As for the low stance. I have had people kick my lead leg in an effort to sweep me but it never resulted in me falling. I'm fairly safe as long as I understand that weakness of being low. A low sweep to that leg won't work. I would see it a mile a way because of where the low stance positions my line of sight. A kick would have a better chance of uprooting a low stance like that but it's not a safe bet. for the kicker.

There are 2 low horse stances that I use. One is a regular side horse stance and the other is a modified horse stance. The side horse stance is more vulnerable to kicks at to the lead leg. However there are counters that can protect that lead leg. One counter will give your opponent a bad bruise on his shin, the other counter is dangerous to the opponent as it my cause the opponent to hyper extend his knee. Like always the dangerous one is the easiest one to do. I think I may know of another counter but I haven't tested it yet. Right now it's just a theory and it's not something that was taught to me. It's just a theory based of my understanding

The only thing that I would warn about is not to make the horse stance too wide. If that lead leg is too far in front, then it will be harder for you to defend that leg. The rule that I go by is that I should be able to land strong punches to or redirect the hands of, anyone that decides to grab my ankle or shin while I'm in horse stance, without reaching. If your foot is beyond your reach (without leaning) of a punch, then your horse stance is too wide.

The modified horse stance is not as vulnerable to the sweep or low leg kick. The type of horse stance that I do depends on which set of techniques I want to use. There are some techniques that work better in the side horse stance vs the modified horse stance. Mobility issues also have to be considered as well. Side horse stance moves causes one set of issues and modified horse stances cause other issues. If I was going against a grappler then I would use the modified horse stance as it's better suited for the wrestling type impacts. A side horse stance against a grappler is a losing battle for a kung fu practitioner. You can transition through a side horse stance, just don't face off in one when dealing with someone trying to take you down. The modified horse stance is the one shown in Post 69#

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
think of it more as a tennis serve, you rising on your toes bringing the arm over and then make ng contact with both the force os your forward momentum and the fall of your body weight

nb clearly you arm isn't at tennis levels of,extension, but its the same mechanic of generating significant energy
This is one that you have to show me because I still can't visualize it. Jow Ga, Hung Ga, Choy Li Fut and Lama Pai have punches that sound like what you are explaining but there is no rising. Everything takes time in fighting and rising as you are describing seems to add more time to a punch making it slower to use. I know of sinking punches but those punches do not rise at the beginning, they sink. You can see the type of punch here, where it has that "tennis serve" movement, but notice I don't rise with.

The only thing that I can think of being close to what you are saying is board breaking. Where people rise and come down on the board.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is one that you have to show me because I still can't visualize it. Jow Ga, Hung Ga, Choy Li Fut and Lama Pai have punches that sound like what you are explaining but there is no rising. Everything takes time in fighting and rising as you are describing seems to add more time to a punch making it slower to use. I know of sinking punches but those punches do not rise at the beginning, they sink. You can see the type of punch here, where it has that "tennis serve" movement, but notice I don't rise with.

The only thing that I can think of being close to what you are saying is board breaking. Where people rise and come down on the board.
Like this only with a punch on the end

Latest Discussions