How I spent my weekend

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
04159BFC-BADD-4613-B42F-9D042EB771EC.jpeg

So the past 6 months I’ve been doing a bit of training in Sumo on the side. This past weekend I got to attend a 3 day seminar led by Cornelius Booker, the current U.S. lightweight national champion. (Unlike pro Sumo, international amateur Sumo has weight classes.)

It was a lot of fun. Got a good workout, learned some new techniques, got to wrestle some really big guys, and met some cool people. On Sunday we had a mini tournament and I won the lightweight division and also a special trophy for greatest variety of techniques.

As a bonus, one of the other participants was a certified JKD instructor under Paul Vunak, so I got to pick his brain for some good tips during lunch break.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wonder how that would take off in western culture if we took the obesity out of it?

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the mawashi (the loincloth) makes it a bit of a hard sell for some people, but I’ve been trying to recruit training partners.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You continue to amaze, Tony.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Impressive, very impressive Tony. How the hell you matched with that much weight difference is simply incredible.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the mawashi (the loincloth) makes it a bit of a hard sell for some people, but I’ve been trying to recruit training partners.

It would be good for all those SD guys. It is very stand up.

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Impressive, very impressive Tony. How the hell you matched with that much weight difference is simply incredible.
I managed to go 2 and 2 vs the 290 pound guy, but I didn’t have any wins against the 340-360 pounders. I managed to put up a good fight a couple of times, but that was it. Maybe if two of them hadn’t also been strongman competitors and the other wasn’t much more experienced in Sumo...

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

ha ha ha..Sorry I'll have to pass on this one..

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just found out the stats for the big guy in the center of the photo. 20 years old, 26-23 competition record, 400 pounds. Makes me feel a bit better about not coming close to beating him even once.