How Hard is Too Hard While Sparing

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to sparring and need some advice. Several days ago I was partaking in a sparing match while wearing full protective gear (example: arm/leg guards, waist guard,etc.). The individual I was sparring against seemed excessively aggressive, and managed to leave two large (a little bigger than golf ball sized) bruises on my shin on knee - I just want to note that this was through about half an inch of padding.

So my question is, how hard is too hard? I know for myself I had always previously made a point of only lightly landing my punches and kicks as i felt that was all that was necessary... am I wrong? I'm honestly just shy of limping today, and really not feeling comfortable returning to my club at this point.

How hard do you hit?

Welcome to MT, karatechop12. Hope you enjoy it.

Have you asked your instructor about this? You should, that's what he's there for.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not for me. I'm too old to be going in to work with a busted nose, and bruised and broken ribs take a really long time to heal. I get hurt regularly, and I can deal with it; part of the game. But at this stage in my life, I'm not interested in getting really messed up, and have nothing to prove to anyone.

And not to brag but honestly, in my dojo, if we went bare knuckle and full power, somebody would be going to the hospital if not dead. We do spar - very lightly - without pads from time to time, but we are very careful and we've all got enough control to avoid hurting each other seriously.
I bare knuckle spar at my school but we don't make contact to the face we may throw a few gut taps but that's about it. Bare knuckle sparring is more for arm and hand conditioning when using blocks, parries, jamming, and blocks that strike the limbs. It's not the same type of sparring that we do when we have gear on. Like you stated someone would go to the hospital if not dead. The gloves soften the blows considerably in comparison to hitting without the gloves.

Like you I don't like to be busted up as well. I don't heal as fast as I used, nor do I have the desire to "tough it out." It's not the pain that is an issue, it's the injury. When I'm injured then it affects my training, because now I have to heal before I can go hard with my training.

OP
K

karatechop12

White Belt
Reaction score
Again, thanks for all the replies.

I will definitely have a word with one of my instructors. I feel if I don't, then it will only be a matter of time before somebody gets seriously injured.

I also experienced this student hooking my achilles tendon while kicking, and proceeding with trying to raise his arm while hooked to try and cause me to fall. Admittedly a very good technique when mats are being used. This occurred while sparring on hardwood, however.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I will definitely have a word with one of my instructors. I feel if I don't, then it will only be a matter of time before somebody gets seriously injured.

I also experienced this student hooking my achilles tendon while kicking, and proceeding with trying to raise his arm while hooked to try and cause me to fall. Admittedly a very good technique when mats are being used. This occurred while sparring on hardwood, however.
Ouch. kick him in his groin and he'll get the picture lol... by the way I was just kidding lol.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It depends. i will bang with a guy if he wants to go hard.

Partially because the game changes at full contact. And being an awesome semi contact guy does not prepare you for that switch.

Psychologically i am preparing my self to meet aggression.

And i am not a punching bag. I dont fire light shots into someone who is firing hard shots.

We have a few guys who go light. And a few who go hard. I tend to use the light guys as a rest round. So i am generally trying to match them while i am struggling to function.

Which makes the session more even for them and more educational for me.

What people miss is fighting is a will game. The more you have the more likley you will win. And your will can be trained.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Thai sweep. Some of them are nasty.

dowz

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I sparred with a poom belt (he is around 16), too big sized to train with the kids, so he trains with the adults.

He is a hard hitter, and the instructor also noticed and has asked him to toned it down but to no avail. I sincerely think he tried, but was not able to as the control is not as honed yet. Was not able to execute kicks with speed but without power, so TS, it may be the same case as yours?

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score

This guy sounds like a douche bag.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If the contact is sufficient to make you question returning to class, it's too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk