How does your Kwoon/club/school aproach sparring in Wing Chun?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
sigung tsui seung tin was one of the 4 senior masters along with wong shun leung, lok yu and leung seung . three of them lived with yip man for several years. sifu jim started training with sigung tsui in 1960. i think sifu jim changed a couple of things for australians in our classes kicking is taught straight away in hong kong i dont think you kick till after about 4 years. we were very orientated towards street style attacks not just doing chi sau all the time but dealing with random punches ,grabs and kicks as soon as the student could do the basic techniques.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did any of these Masters happen to live in Vietnam? I know that O'Sensei had a 'live in Sifu' for many years who he trained with (by proxy, it's a long story...). However, I know that we start kicking with Chum Kiu, there's only a few kicks taught, but they are in there.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
sorry mate i dont know if any of them lived in vietnam . as far as i know they all lived and taught in hong kong.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, is what Sifu Jim/Sigung Tsui Seung Tin teach very similar to Yip Man Wing Chun, or would an outside obersver think it was a non-Yip Man line?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
it is yip man wing chun. the stance is pidgeon toed with both feet equal and the body square on and slightly sunk down and hands on the centerline in an open handed guard. there are other wing chun systems in australia but i think they have a stance with 1 foot forward not square on like us.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
yeah there is im not too good on the computer so i dont know how to make a link but it is called master jim fungs international wing chun academy. i stopped training there in 2000 i was one of his instructors but got kicked out for training in ground fighting they didnt like that sort of thing back then. now i hear they teach it there , doesnt matter ive gone on to dabble in krav magaa, doce pares, kali illustrissimo which has made me more complete. just google master jim fungs international wing chun academy.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
kamon guy i dont have anything to do with them anymore but from what ive heard there are about 7 chief instructors running it. they were my seniors and are very lucky because sigung tsui comes over from hong kong every couple of months to train them.

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
kamon guy i dont have anything to do with them anymore but from what ive heard there are about 7 chief instructors running it. they were my seniors and are very lucky because sigung tsui comes over from hong kong every couple of months to train them.

Thats dope

Latest Discussions