How does one learn JKD?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmm. I agree and I Don't.

On the one hand yes, there are established schools that teach established techniques that do have some link to BL.

On the other, if you actually read his book, the sort of static one size fits all traditional style system it has become is exactly the same sort of thing that he rails against in his writings.

I would say there has only been one JKD man. The rest are either inspired by it, motivated to make a buck off the name, or students of the former.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hmm. I agree and I Don't.

On the one hand yes, there are established schools that teach established techniques that do have some link to BL.

On the other, if you actually read his book, the sort of static one size fits all traditional style system it has become is exactly the same sort of thing that he rails against in his writings.

I would say there has only been one JKD man. The rest are either inspired by it, motivated to make a buck off the name, or students of the former.

Depends on which side of the JKD house you're on. Dan Inosanto, teaches basic, what Bruce taught JKD and then expands. Jerry Poteet side is what Bruce taught. But neither goes against what Bruce said as long as you don't cling to the name.

Again let me remind you Jeet Kune Do is just a name used, a boat to get one across, and once across it is to be discarded and not to be carried on one's back.
--Bruce Lee

and both sides appear to have added things, but still have that JKD core.

Either way, in my opinion, it needs a root (core) that comes from Bruce Lee, to call it Jeet Kune Do. It is just not a mishmash of styles randomly chosen and slapped together by someone that then decides to call JKD. It may be a viable style, but it is not JKD. Call it MMA you got something there, because it is Mixed Martial Arts, but IMO, it is not JKD. But doing this mixing of style and then having the desire or need to call it JKD usually brings me to, "Why the need to call it JKD, when technically is not?" and the only answer I can come up with is "sales".

I am rather happy there are those out there legitimately teaching JKD. Even though I am a firm believe in the whole "Jeet Kune Do is just a name used, a boat to get one across, and once across it is to be discarded and not to be carried on one's back." thing. But that is for me, and my little exposure to JKD gave me a lot of insight into the style I do, or did, train regularly. And also gave me an understanding, from my POV, of the "Classical mess". If I were younger, or less beat up I would be training a lot of JKD. However I never have had any desire to teach it myself, but I am glad there are those that legitimately do.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Either way, in my opinion, it needs a root (core) that comes from Bruce Lee, to call it Jeet Kune Do.
But what if that 'core' is the same one that it's founder used? That is, rather than a set of techniques, a personal quest to find what works and discard what doesn't?
It is just not a mishmash of styles randomly chosen and slapped together by someone that then decides to call JKD. It may be a viable style, but it is not JKD.
To be fair, that's exactly what JKD was. A mishmash of styles and techniques that worked for Lee. Would it be more to the spirit of JKD to undertake that same quest as it pertains to your own physical attributes, strengths, and weaknesses? Or to learn prefab stuff that pertains to a 130 pound speedster with disproportionately long limbs?(unless you happen to be one, that is)

I think the spirit of JKD lives in the MMA wold to be honest. Those are the guys doing the things Lee talked about.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
But what if that 'core' is the same one that it's founder used? That is, rather than a set of techniques, a personal quest to find what works and discard what doesn't?

To be fair, that's exactly what JKD was. A mishmash of styles and techniques that worked for Lee. Would it be more to the spirit of JKD to undertake that same quest as it pertains to your own physical attributes, strengths, and weaknesses? Or to learn prefab stuff that pertains to a 130 pound speedster with disproportionately long limbs?(unless you happen to be one, that is)

I think the spirit of JKD lives in the MMA wold to be honest. Those are the guys doing the things Lee talked about.

Did they read all the same book, have the same educatoinal background, study and research all the same arts in the same order. Are they from the same background. Did they study Wing Chun under the same conditions....answer is no.... They are not Bruce Lee and he came up with JKD. And if they studied all of that, why the need to call it JKD?

IMO, still not JKD, and the need to call it JKD brings me right back to; why the need to call it JKD? It is mixed marital arts, but not JKD IMO. Why would one need to call it JKD, unless they were doing it for the purposes of getting more people in the door, to make more money, selling JKD that was in fact not.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did they read all the same book, have the same educatoinal background, study and research all the same arts in the same order. Are they from the same background. Did they study Wing Chun under the same conditions....answer is no.... They are not Bruce Lee and he came up with JKD. And if they studied all of that, why the need to call it JKD?

IMO, still not JKD, and the need to call it JKD brings me right back to; why the need to call it JKD? It is mixed marital arts, but not JKD IMO. Why would one need to call it JKD, unless they were doing it for the purposes of getting more people in the door, to make more money, selling JKD that was in fact not.
Which is exactly full circle to my first post;there was only ever one JKD guy, really.

D

Deleted member 39746

You can find some books etc about his philosophy which is what i presume most people mean when they say learn JKD, but in simple its ditch what doesnt work for you, and use what does. (which isn't special to him, he just helped embody it and get more people to use that methodology i believe)

I have the Tao of JKD book for example. (not that i have read it, plus his hand writings terrible on those notes :p)

Didnt realsie this was a really old forum as well, but above is a semi dumbing down of his philosophy i got and at least covers the high points.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Which is exactly full circle to my first post;there was only ever one JKD guy, really.

No, there are many, but they originate from the founder. Just like every other martial arts style style. And the question of "why is calling something JKD so important, when it is not", still goes unanswered.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, there are many, but they originate from the founder. Just like every other martial arts style style. And the question of "why is calling something JKD so important, when it is not", still goes unanswered.
or the question, why is calling something jkd is such a problem to you, people can call any collection of technique s anything they want, if it makes them happy, so long as it doesn't amount to fraud. I call what I do karate, though my instructor keeps telling me it isn't, with the not irregular use of the phrase " very good Joe, but it's not karate"

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

yes agree, it's my belief t( excuse) that many easten ma are designed for short/ stocky people and I find the steps to short, the range to close and the movements difficult for someone with a high centre of gravity. they all designed arts to fit their body type. sticking with a protocol that doesn't suit you because it's in " the book " isn't sensible, people should change it to suit them and not the other way round, just as Lee did

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

Because people want to be able to fight like Bruce Lee.

But for some reason they train in a way he was starkly against, using the same traditional methods he spent his short life breaking away from, from a single source rather than any and all sources.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

But for some reason they train in a way he was starkly against, using the same traditional methods he spent his short life breaking away from, from a single source rather than any and all sources.

And yet the want to call it JKD..... this seems rather contradictory to me

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
And yet the want to call it JKD..... this seems rather contradictory to me
For the third time, I don't have that need( unless you are just speaking of a general 'you'). The only thing I see as JKD is Lee himself in motion. The spirit and philosophy lives on though

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Got to call it something.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yes and no.

You can be less Chun and not be a straight up anarchist.

TheSegaStoner

White Belt
Reaction score
The easiest answer is to train under one of the two branches (Dan Inosanto or Taky Kimura). I train under the Inosanto lineage if you will, and it just takes a willingness to always keep growing.