How do you Line up?

chrismay101

Green Belt
Reaction score
Been to two Taekwondo schools over the last week One school lined its students up from left to right lowest rank on the left and black belts far right.
the other school lowest ranks at the back highest at the front.

How do other people line up and does it matter?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Been to two Taekwondo schools over the last week One school lined its students up from left to right lowest rank on the left and black belts far right.
the other school lowest ranks at the back highest at the front.

How do other people line up and does it matter?

We line up with the most senior student in the front row on the right, as the students face the instructor; students fill in from there by rank.

I don't think it really matters, as long as it's consistent.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
From the perspective of the student, it is highest ranked person to lowest ranked from right to left. The senior student calls the class to attention, has everyone turn and bow to the flags, then to the instructor.

Miles

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
All the TKD schools I've been to lined up with the highest rank to the front right corner with lowest rank in the left rear corner. A Karate school I went to lined up where ever you wanted to.
If I was an instructor I think I would have my higher ranks watching in the back to help teach the lower ranks. with the lower ranks in the front. Just an Idea. This might keep the higher ranks from getting Arrogant. Just a thought though.

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
From the perspective of the student, it is highest ranked person to lowest ranked from right to left. The senior student calls the class to attention, has everyone turn and bow to the flags, then to the instructor.

Miles

My school does this as well.

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The instructor, or one of the upper belt helpers, yells, "Hey, class is starting, line up!" and everybody lines up.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Miles

We so it exactly this way, it has been that way for almost all of my TKD career

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Miles

Our's does like-wise.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
That is not just a martial arts-related line up. It was actually used in the school system when my Grandmaster was young (he ws born in 1939). Perhaps this method rolled-over into the martial arts classes.

In the school system, the student with the highest grades had the front-row right-most seat. The student with the 2nd-highest grades took the seat to the left and so on until that row was filled. Then the process would begin again in the next row.

The student with the highest grades (front row, far right) would lead the class in showing respect to the instructor when the instructor entered the room. "Charyot, Kyosa-nim Kay, Gyungyae!" The class would bow to the instructor and be seated and they would begin their lesson. The same process would occur at the end of the class.

R. McLain

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Different groups do different things. If there is to be a bow in, my prefence is the circle method.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Way way back when I studied Shorin-Ryu we all faced Sensei and it was left to right, with highest ranks to the left to the lowest on his right....

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We line up with the high rank color belt far left then down the line. The Black Belts line up to the left of the color belts perpendicularly, like this:

BB...........Instructor
BB
BB.......Color Belts High to Low
BB
BB

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As above, for class line up we line up with the senior student at the far right and go in descending order to the most junior student at the rear left corner. However, for basic kicking we go the opposite way: junior students are in front and senior students are in the back. It's also not as regimented either. Students just need to make sure they're not too close to each other.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
We line up y rank as well from right to left facing the instructor.

Peace,
Erik

GlassJaw

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We line up with the blackbelts in the front row(s).
Gup ranks begin new rows behind them.
If we're not in our usual room, Senior Student
announces how many persons wide the rows
should be.

front of dojang (instructor)
B06 B05 B04 B03 B02 B01
--- --- Bu1 B09 B08 B07
G06 G05 G04 G03 G02 SS
G12 G11 G10 G09 G08 G07
G18 G17 G16 G15 G14 G13
Gu2 Gu1 G22 G21 G20 G19
--- --- --- Gu5 Gu4 Gu3

back of class

B = Blackbelt
Bu = Blackbelt, but out of uniform
SS = Senior Student (color belt)
G = Gup-ranked student
Gu = Gup rank, but out of uniform

lower numbers indicate higher precedence
(G03 is senior to G11, B02 is senior to B04)

Higher rank on right.

Participants who are out of uniform
fall in at the end of line (usually by
rank, although sometimes a veteran
student who failed to show up in
uniform will yield precendence in line
to beginners who simply don't have a
uniform yet).

So, for color belts, order is determined by
presence of uniform, then by belt rank
then by seniority in the school (not length
of time at current rank).

For blackbelts, order is determined by
presence of uniform, then by dan rank,
then by date of attaining current rank.

Dan

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As facing the instructor we line up right to left then front to back without empty spots.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ours starts with dan's in front- working from high at the left, low at the right. Then, if you show up once we've started warm- ups, you have to be in the back warming up.

Latest Discussions