new book need to know meaning

chrismay101

Green Belt
Reaction score
got a new TKD book

It's called - Ch'ang Hon Taekwon-do Hae Sul real applications to the ITF patterns.

Got it because I wanted ITF info but im not sure what "Ch'ang Hon "means or the "Hae Sul"

anyone know?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ch'ang H'on = blue cottage, which was the name given to Gen. Choi by his calligraphy teacher. It is used to indicate the tul (pattern) set he created, which is the tul set used by the ITF, as well as some groups in the WTF.

Hae sul = (in-depth) analysis

OP
chrismay101

chrismay101

Green Belt
Reaction score
Cheers Kacey.

Is there a difference from just ITF patterns and Ch'ang hon ITF?

That may be a be a stupid question but read an interview with some korean master and he says something like " I learnt ITF patterns as there was no Ch'ang hon" if that doesn't make sense ill drag out the interview and take a look.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cheers Kacey.

Is there a difference from just ITF patterns and Ch'ang hon ITF?

That may be a be a stupid question but read an interview with some korean master and he says something like " I learnt ITF patterns as there was no Ch'ang hon" if that doesn't make sense ill drag out the interview and take a look.

There's not a difference that I'm aware of - the terms "ITF patterns" and "Ch'ang H'on pattern set" are often used interchangeably, at least in my experience. Gen. Choi, as the founder of the ITF, created the Ch'ang H'on pattern set, and created The Encyclopedia of Taekwon-Do as a reference guide for those learning them.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can only second what Kacey has said they have always been interchangable.