How do you get the little kids to try instead of just doing the motion?

BP714

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've tried teaching little kids and some just half-*ss stuff. I would tell them to kick higher and they would for one kick then go back to kicking at their knee level. Any suggestion?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some just wont. Not much you can do about it. In the end everyone will do what they want, some want and some don't. Just teach and do your best to help everyone but understand that not everyone will do what you want. But that does not mean that you stop trying.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Theyre Young. Their Muscles are Undeveloped. Actually doing the Movements requires 200% out of them, where it may only take 50% out of us.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need first to understand what each kid can handle mentally but peer and cooperative learning with in a kenetic learning game works best, kicking games in teams ending in a concentration game the loosing team has to do push up that make animal sounds chosen by the other winning team monkey, elephant, donkey pigs ect even babies crying the kids love it.

When doing group floor exercises kicks stances if after a warning anyone slacks off doing sloppy kicks or low knees ect I have special pink ruber belts they have to wear for a short time youd be supprised the boys really don't want to wear it.

round circle games one person in the middle with foam club anyone missing the block sits down last one surviving get to hold the club next. Memory games like Master says and using stances and turns any mistakes they sit down.

Also if one person is making repeat mistakes or not working the whole group does push ups while they stand up and count the group saying thank you _________name each push up. Now you can over due this or humiliate one individual if over done so you spread it around in a fun way and do the push ups with them so your sharing thier effort.

They should be having fun with out knowing they are actually learning to concentrate and give maximum effort to a point.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
From what Ive noticed kids who really want to be doing martial arts seem a lot more enthusiastic and eager to learn. Unfortunately Ive noticed the vast majority of kids do martial arts because "mum and dad thought it would be a good idea", and enrolled them. Only a very small % of kids Ive seen are truly passionate about learning martial arts. Ive seen this with my own children, they both started about the time I got my black belt. My daughter does it simply because the rest of the family does and pretty much just 'goes through the motions', unfortunately she is very good at it so she is constantly told by everyone how good she is despite putting in hardly any effort. She is hard to teach because really her mind is elsewhere. My son, on the other hand, loves it and really wants to be good and really takes notice when instructors give him pointers, he is like a sponge and takes all advice onboard and he is a pleasure to instruct. He hates to miss a class. Basically, kids who want to be there are easy to teach.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One child I teach is happy kicking shin-heighth, moving lazily about. I guess he thinks it's like pretend ... which it kind of is, but he has ZERO intent behind his physicality. And I mean ... ZERO. I've been trying to get this kid to do better for the last two and a half years and while he has made SOME gains, they are TINY and not in keeping with rank expectations. I wish I had mirrors.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The way of the child is play. Their coordination and focus are young, and their attention span is short. With them the key is understanding where they are and structuring the FUN. For one, I don't have them kick air--that's way too abstract. Have them kick soft shields or bags. I then have the holders hold the shields high enough that they can only be hit if the kick is belt high. Most of my 4 yr olds are head kicking Billy (the small BOB) when I take him off the stand so his (helmeted) head is at their head height (I just make it part of their obstacle course and they take it in stride). Make it fun/a game and they will amaze you. Do change the activities frequently. Age in minutes is not a bad guideline.

Carl

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Motivational phrases:
You have to kick as high as your belly button. Do you know where your bellybutton is? If you kick that low again I'll have to pull up your pants leg and see if someone put your belly button on your knee.

Dance class is upstairs. Your in the wrong toom.

What are you kicking down there? Little babies? Puppies? Thats not nice. We don't want to be called baby / puppy kickers.

Are you going to pay me a nickel every time I have to tell you to kick higher? (Next time I say you owe me 5 cents then 10 cents etc. )

When I tell them to kick higher and they do I say "Now your in trouble. Do you know why?" I then tell them if they couldn't kick high I could not be upset. Now that I know they can, I know they are just being lazy and I can be upset about that.

Numerous corrections without results? Have them sit facing the wall for 5 minutes. Then ask if they are ready to join the class and work.

tell them their parents work hard for the $ to pay to have them in class and they need to work hard when they are in class.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
First and foremost...never show fear...they can smell fear and will eat you alive. :)

Depending on the age group, there is nothing wrong with acting a little goofy while teaching. When they make mistakes make light of it. A lot of times what has helped me with the 4-5 year olds and 6-7 year olds that I teach is breaking everything down into a fun way of learning. Before doing a drill like punching or kicking have them each demonstrate. (Example: Johnny show me your best front kick. ~Johnny executes it~. Awesome...now who thinks they can do a better front kick? ~Someone else will volunteer~ Great! Repeat a couple of times and then give them all applause for doing it.) Another way is to have the student leader of the day. This will be the person who does the best technique. Whoever "wins" gets to be in front of the class to demonstrate exercises or drills.

Above all be patient and smile. As soon as kids sense you are upset they will shut down.

Latest Discussions